On the amp hunt again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikef1331, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I'm searching for a new amp again and I was hoping that my fellow tone freaks here at TGP might be able to help me out. I'm looking to get away from the amp tones I have now (British tones) and going in a more American-Fender direction.

Here's a description of the amp tone I'm after:
    I'm looking for an amp that has a great spacious clean sound w/ a sweet, un-compressed, singing lead tone that works great w/ all kinds of pickups & efx pedals. I would like the amp to have a natural tone to it that lets the character and tone of each guitar shine through. I love amps that have a soft bouncy touch to them when playing like a great vintage amp has, that kind of feel where it's almost like the amp is connected directly to your finger tips. I'm not into amps that have a strong midrange tone. I like more of a Fender blonde-blackface midrange. Overdriven tones, medium gain, in the american amp vein but w/ some british flavor, a good tight, punchy tone w/ nice crunch without being "grinding". Clean sound in the Fender Blonde-Blackface range w/ tight lows & sweet, warm sparkling highs (not super "chimey" or "ear piercing"). A Great sounding master volume or some sort of power scaling preferred, but not required.

My favorite power tube types are 6v6, 6l6 & kt66's. I'm not into el84's. Wattage around 20-50 watts.

Budget: $3,000 and under

Thanks in advance![​IMG]

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

You just described a Two Rock Jet.

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Maybe try a VHT Pitbull

4. fragglerock

fragglerock Member

Have you tried a Rivera Venus 6?
    6v6s 35 watts. Very versatile. Chances are what you want is in there.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

My Tonester fits this description to a "T". Only problem is, you can't find one in a store. But you could easily have one for probably under 750.00. Mine started as the unpopular Bantam Bass amp, which can probably be had for $350 or less. Powered by two 6L6s.

It was rewired to AB763 specs, so it's like a blackface Bandmaster or Super Reverb without trem or reverb.

Refitted with a baffle for one 12 and one 10. Eminence C-rex or Legend and a Lil Buddy 10" and you're rigged. I built a slightly smaller cab for mine, but that's not really necessary.

[​IMG]

Clippage

Straight into amp for rhythm parts (Flip Trem use on tremolo part). Lead courtesy of MI Audio Crunchbox.

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Honestly, sounds like a Blackface Twin Reverb is in order.

7. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a Carr Slant 6V would work.....

8. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

Carr Slant 6V?

9. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone I'll look into these.

Sweet clip Leon! Where can one locate a Tonester, is that something you had custom made for you?

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Mike, like I said, it started life as a Fender Bantam Bass amp. Which is a LOT like a Bassman, but the Bantam Bass came with a weird trapezoidal speaker in it. If you just find an old Fender Bantam Bass on eBay or Craigslist (whatever), you can probably get your local tech to make a few changes to get it to the AB763 spec (or whatever similar Fender design you like) for 100 bucks or so. Replace the weird speaker baffle decent baffle in there for 4x10, 2x12 or 12+10 (that's what I did) and boom, you're on your way.

11. KeyserZoso

KeyserZoso Member

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

I'm hearing Vibro-King.

13. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

You might really like a Tone King Meteor II.

14. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Save yourself $2,300 and buy a '67 BF Dual Showman. It perfectly fits your description of what you're looking for.

85 Watts at full power. Remove the two middle 6L6s, use an 8 ohm cab, and the power comes down to 42 Watts.

15. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

16. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I played a Meteor II a couple months back and it was a really killer amp. It's definitely on my list of amps to consider.

17. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Sounds like a Pure 64 Mean Street would fit needs perfectly.

18. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    the top hat super club deluxe would fit the bill but you might want to find an older one with a tube rectifier based on what you're looking for. i have a newer one with an SS rectifier and i sometimes miss the sag of a tube rectifier. however, it does fender cleans very nicely and can get vox/marshall sounds at higher volumes. also you can swap in EL34's without re-biasing. i've got 6L6's in there with a 12AY7 in v1and it sounds nice and "blackface" clean at lower volumes.

19. tcforec

tcforec Member

Sounds like an old Deluxe Reverb on 6 with an Airbrake. Maybe a Weber Blue Dog in it. Put a Box of Rock in front of it and there you go. :AOK

20. Joej

Joej Member

Fender Supersonic combo!!