On the hunt for a Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheBlackCrayon, Aug 13, 2008.

1. TheBlackCrayon

TheBlackCrayon Member

Compressors are the one thing I have never played around with too much. I hear lots of great things about pedal compressors and how great they help your tone and all I'm interested in getting one. I'm mostly looking for a compressor that will deliver some sustain, clear up my picking and bring some definition to my chords. I have run into lots of crap compressors like the EHX Soul Preacher which is loud and squashes your tone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. hamer21

hamer21 Member

Check out the Barber Tone Press. I know that there are a few really good ones out there but I was pretty impressed with this one.

3. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

The Tone Press is really popular around here, but I would also recommend the Demeter Compulator. It really enhances your clean tone bringing definition, and sustain.

4. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Compressors are an enigma.
    You need to here them in person while playing with your gear.
    Otherwise its like buying an airplane or jet solely on a video presentation.

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

The Barber Tone Press will definitely give you some nice sustain and definitive punch to your tone. But there have been some discussions (and some first hand experience) with the TP taking away some of the highs. Adjusting the internal trim pot does help a little bit but not enough for my liking. For that reason, I went with the Diamond Compressor and got great results in terms of tone. But it definitely does not sustain and 'punch' as well as the TP.

6. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I had the keeley compressor for like 4 years and I loved it!
    Then I sold it for the analogman mini bi-comp and I love it even more because it has two in one! squashed, and more transparent! It's a keeper for sure

7. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I've had many different compressors and among my favorite are:

Analogman Mini Bi-comp (currently on my board)
    Analogman Juicer
    Keeley 2 Knobber
    Tone Press
    Boss CS-2

8. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

^^^^^
    I, too, have tried a number of compressors over the years, but my preference these days is a Boss CS-3 with the Monte Allums Opto+ mod. YMMV...

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I use a byoc optical in my effects loop. It's very transparent and does exactly what you are looking for (be aware it's so transparent you might think the thing isn't working at first)

my delay and tremelo don't sound right without it, it's become a very valuable part of my rig. I run it at 18v with the comp down around 9:00 and the level at unity.

10. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

The Diamond compressor is great IMO. I love the EQ knob on it. Great for a boost on a solo as well.