On the hunt for a smallish Tube Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mtmartin71, Jul 27, 2018.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Looking for a little amp shopping guidance. Here are the dets:
    • British flavored
    • Probably on the brighter side, or capable of it. I mostly play balanced, PAF-style humbuckers so they'll tame brighter amps. But...I do have some single coils. If I had to pick though, I'd prefer something that sets up for humbuckers.
    • 30W tops - this head will sit on a 2x12 Port City oversized vertical cab. The speakers are Hellatone 25s. A mix of the H30/M25 sound but leaning brighter and definitely efficient
    • Needs to be no wider than 23" or thereabouts to fit across the top of the cab
    • Volume control options would be nice... a good master or power scaling, etc. At most, this would probably be played out on a small stage or lower volume reqs...or at home where I share a wall albeit one that absorbs well (basement)
    • Something that can be dialed for nice break up/crunch and/or set up for clean platform. On the crunch sounds, something around AC/DC (Angus), STP, Zep, Black Crowes, etc. Plus or minus that level. It's nice to run it as a crunchy amp with some goosing or on the same amp, run it cleanish with pedal flavors. I'm using the HX Effects and digging it.
    I currently have a Rocker Terror 15. It released this year. Great amp for the price and size for sure. This is going to be my only tube amp (I also own a Kemper). It's pretty sweet amp and choc full of features. Lots of power options two channels, etc. Orange amps are pretty chewy and darker. The Rocker Terror is better, but still less edge to it. And, I think it really shines dirt wise when you get over 7 which kicks in the last gain stage. The mid gains are only OK. The natural channel has no EQ so it needs an EQ pedal, and it sounds pretty decent when you throw it on. Otherwise it's a touch dark and middy.

Amps I'm thinking about include:
    • Marshall Origin - not sure if they're available. I had a 2061x and it was too loud unless run cleanish as a pedal platform
    • Morgan AC20 - I think this is darkish too, but maybe not as dark as an Orange
    • Dr Z Amps - Maz 18, Route 66, M12, Others.
    • 65 Amps - I think they're too wide, which sucks
    • Friedman Runt - may be too close to my Rocker?
    What other amps might I be missing? If I kept the Orange it wouldn't be a bad thing by any means. I just get one amp though...don't need more. I want to tailor that one to the majority of my favorites guitars.

2. Ejay

Ejay Member

Did you check egnater rebel 30?

3. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Member

Mesa-Boogie TA-15 or 30? Those are pretty great.

Alchemist XP, Bob T., HesNot and 4 others like this.
  4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Greer thunderbolt 30 or Cam 18

s360guitarist likes this.
  5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Maybe the Laney LA30BL

6. Darkness

Darkness Member

BluGuitar AMP1 is a Marshall flavored 100w beast that weighs 2lbs. Look into it.

rickt likes this.
  7. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Mesa TA-15
    Marshall OR20h

Darkness likes this.
  8. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

9. micktmason@msn.

micktmason@msn. Member

Maz 18 cant go wrong, great amp

10. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Supporting Member

Well, since you already have 65amps on your list, I will plug the Ventura; it is only 16.25 inches wide. I see them go on the used market for $850-$950 it seems and I think that is a great value.

• British flavored - Absolutely, with the tone knob to the right of noon it is very British.
    • Probably on the brighter side, or capable of it. I mostly play balanced, PAF-style humbuckers so they'll tame brighter amps. But...I do have some single coils. If I had to pick though, I'd prefer something that sets up for humbuckers. - I do NOT prefer overly bright amps. Last month I sent the amp to BAD for a repair and while it was there I had my it modified by the guy who designed the amp to take a bit of the edge off. For what you are describing, though, I think it is about right from the factory.
    • 30W tops - this head will sit on a 2x12 Port City oversized vertical cab. The speakers are Hellatone 25s. A mix of the H30/M25 sound but leaning brighter and definitely efficient - The Ventura is rated at 20 watts.
    • Needs to be no wider than 23" or thereabouts to fit across the top of the cab - 16.25" wide.
    • Volume control options would be nice... a good master or power scaling, etc. At most, this would probably be played out on a small stage or lower volume reqs...or at home where I share a wall albeit one that absorbs well (basement) - Has 65's master voltage which is as good as volume regulation can get (in my opinion).
    • Something that can be dialed for nice break up/crunch and/or set up for clean platform. On the crunch sounds, something around AC/DC (Angus), STP, Zep, Black Crowes, etc. Plus or minus that level. It's nice to run it as a crunchy amp with some goosing or on the same amp, run it cleanish with pedal flavors. I'm using the HX Effects and digging it. - The Ventura is definitely capable of all of this. It has a incredibly thick and textured break up that is incredibly dynamic and very unique, at least in the world of amps I have been exposed to. I personally like to run a little compression in front of mine to limit some of the dynamics so I can sit in the pocket volume wise and maintain the right amount of breakup.

11. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

As I was reading your post the first thing that came to mind was a Runt 20.

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

What about something from Victory?

dbagchee and davidespinosa like this.
  13. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

How’s the breakup tone?

This one sounds pretty interesting

14. manimal

manimal Member

Marshall 2525H

Alchemist XP likes this.
  15. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

I have the AC20. It kills. I don’t find it to be overly dark. But it is extremely transparent. Whatever your guitar sounds like, it will sound like through that amp.

I’ve owned a lot of real deal vintage amps, and the AC20 seriously impressed me. It’s my main amp now.

You may also consider the MVP23 for a more Marshally, less compressed sound. Or the Abbey for the Vox top boost sound. They’re all great at what they do, and the power scaling is very useful.

16. 8len8

8len8 Member

Jet City JCA22H.

slayerbear17 likes this.
  17. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I love my Jca22H!!!! I.ll sell one of my kids before selling that amp.

I kid. ....

Maybe.

guitarbilly74 likes this.
  18. Lution

Lution Member

Dirty Shirley Mini or one of the Victory Amps like The Sheriff.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  19. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

20. Serenity

Serenity Member

If you can find one, Marshall Astoria Custom