on the subject of younger generation guitar players started by Willie Johnson

gregorybj

Are there any newer guitarist that stand out to any of you guys out there? I am having a difficult time trying to find new music to listen too and new guitarist whose licks I can steal. :)

Thanks!

ToddK

There are many new players that have great technical skill, and wide vocabulary, but i still say most of the new generation lack a certain intangable quality. Its nothing to do with chops, or harmonic knowledge. Its about making a statement, and really knowing how to touch the instrument. Im not saying there isnt any of that in the new generation, but it seems alot fewer and far between.

I was listening to my local rock station in the car the other day, and i heard "Sultans of Swing", and thought, WOW, they dont play em like that anymore.
The way Knopfler speaks through his guitar is just jaw dropping. The tone. The phrases are so memorable, and natural.
So though guys like Guthrie Govan really impress me, he hasnt done anything remotely approaching what i hear from somebody like Knopfler, Gilmour, Hendrix, Page, Jeff Beck etc...

Guitar is much more of a "Sporting Event"' now unfortunately.

ChazFromCali

Personal opinion, but I think Sean Costello was the real deal, that kind of music maybe ain't everyones thing, but it sure is mine!

Moe45673

One of my favorite bands is Muse. I wouldn't call Matt Bellamy a guitarist as much as I'd call him a musician. It's like he composes and then goes, "bollocks (the man is british, afterall), I actually have to play this somehow" and uses the guitar (and about 30% of the time, piano/keyboard) to turn it into sound. His approach to music is refreshing and original, IMO.

norska

Silver Supporting Member
Brent Hinds is ultra tasty IMO. If your into a throw back band that will literally take you back around 4 decades or so check out the Big Elf album "Hex". They are like an awesome blend of Sabbath, the beatles, and a bunch of floydychrimsony goodness. mellowtrons galore:bong

Russorama

Personal opinion, but I think Sean Costello was the real deal, that kind of music maybe ain't everyones thing, but it sure is mine!
I totally agree BUT Sean would have been 30 in April I believe.
I wouldn't really call him "young" (and I'm 50). Ask any 19-21 year old or so and they'll tell you 30 is old LOL.
That said, yeah, Sean was the real deal. I'm totally a fellow blues freak.

SteveO

Too many people are more concerned with playing notes than playing music.
Nothing wrong with knowing what the notes are, though! I am definitely a minority in the fact that I am a guitar player who actually knows how to read music. Some people will claim that knowledge of music theory and such stifles creativity, but I disagree. Hasn't impeded me at all over the years...

DMichel123

I totally agree BUT Sean would have been 30 in April I believe.
I wouldn't really call him "young" (and I'm 50). Ask any 19-21 year old or so and they'll tell you 30 is old LOL.
That said, yeah, Sean was the real deal. I'm totally a fellow blues freak.
Sean started touring at 16.

re-animator

There are many new players that have great technical skill, and wide vocabulary, but i still say most of the new generation lack a certain intangable quality. Its nothing to do with chops, or harmonic knowledge. Its about making a statement, and really knowing how to touch the instrument. Im not saying there isnt any of that in the new generation, but it seems alot fewer and far between.
I really have to take the opposite view... maybe its just the styles of music you're listening to, but IMO the guitar scene is dominated these days by guys who do a lot with a little. This doesn't really appeal too much to guitar forum types until there is some form of long-term validation.

ZachariahG

i'm sure most people won't like it, but if your okay with listening to something not blues based, classic rock, or virtuoso sounding, maybe try to check out a band called As Cities Burn or a guitar player named Cody Bonette. his playing is pretty creative and something that i've not really heard before.

74vibrolux

Unthinkable! These threads would be a lot more honest if they just asked "where are all the 20 somethings playing blues based, classic rock, or virtuoso sounding."

ding ding ding ... we have a winner!

I have noticed the "young guys" some people here gravitate towards are the folks like Sean Costello and John Mayer. Great guitarists? Yes. Exploring new ground? Not so much. Again ... I'm NOT downplaying their ability, appeal, skill or the fact that they excite and engage people. Those guys had/have a real talent. Just saying that when I read things like "they're really doing something new and exciting" really just means "they're new guys doing a lot of the same stuff I grew up listening to."

Not really a Muse fan, but that guy does some crazy, freaky ****. If you're looking for something new. That's definitely it. I wouldn't use him to define an entire generation of guitar players. But he's certainly doing something cool.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I have noticed the "young guys" some people here gravitate towards are the folks like Sean Costello and John Mayer. Great guitarists? Yes. Exploring new ground? Not so much. Again ... I'm NOT downplaying their ability, appeal, skill or the fact that they excite and engage people. Those guys had/have a real talent. Just saying that when I read things like "they're really doing something new and exciting" really just means "they're new guys doing a lot of the same stuff I grew up listening to."

I can't comment about Mayer, but I think that Sean Costello in fact brought something new and exciting to the table. The songs he did were for the most part older (though he certainly didn't just play the basic blues songs as evidenced by his covers of Robert Ward, Al Green, Dylan, etc) but I think he had a unique voice that would have only developed had we not lost him. I think if he was still with us he would have gone on to do a lot of original material, based in the blues, but not stuck in it (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

74vibrolux

I can't comment about Mayer, but I think that Sean Costello in fact brought something new and exciting to the table. The songs he did were for the most part older (though he certainly didn't just play the basic blues songs as evidenced by his covers of Robert Ward, Al Green, Dylan, etc) but I think he had a unique voice that would have only developed had we not lost him. I think if he was still with us he would have gone on to do a lot of original material, based in the blues, but not stuck in it (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Oh gosh. Not at all dissing him. Not super familiar, but I can definitely see his appeal from what I've checked out.

I'm just pointing out that people keep asking for new music. Asking questions like "where are the guys doing stuff like Sultans of Swing, these days?" But they only new folks they rave about are folks like Sean Costello and the like. It's obvious that they're looking for new stuff that sounds like the old stuff.

But the truth is, you're never going to hear Dire Straits 2.0. Or if you do, the argument will be made "they're good and all, but it's kind of been done before. I want to hear something NEW." And that's super-cool. I'm glad to see the blues and jazz and classic rock stylings are getting updates and are sticking around (let me repeat .. DRIVE BY TRUCKERS ... Buy every album you can ... Awesome!!!). That music should stay around. But to find the real innovation you have to listen to music you may not like and accept the fact that just because it doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it's not amazing. Quite frankly, I'd listen to Spoon or Okkervil River over Jimi Hendrix any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But you'll get my copy of "Music From Big Pink" when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. I think that today, more than ever, there are more kinds of great new music out there than there ever was. The diversity is staggering.

C'mon boys ... keep the new music recommendations coming for these guys. Let's find the stuff that will blow their minds.

If you like the bluesy-er stuff ... you can't beat the Black Keys. An old video, but still wonderful ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwp5iZD8wQ

Trending Topics