Once in a Lifetime Cinema Event -- Apu Trilogy content

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by A-Bone, May 7, 2015.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

It seemed like it might never happen, but thanks to the diligence and tenacity of the folks at the Criterion Collection (with able assistance by other institutions including AMPAS -- proving they aren't just about awards shows) Satyajit Ray's masterpiece trilogy subsumed under the "Apu Trilogy" moniker (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, Apur Sansar) have been restored to a state they have maybe not enjoyed since their original releases more than five decades ago. Janus films is going to put them on a roadshow and show them theatrically in select art theaters around the country (starting tomorrow in NYC).

I recognize not everyone here lives within access of the theaters scheduled to show this, but for those who do it is likely to be a truly great cinematic experience.

Here is the trailer for the restoration release:

Here is the link to Janus' site with the schedule:

http://www.janusfilms.com/aputrilogy/

And here is a nice interview about the restoration:

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-film-restorers-brought-apu-trilogy-back-life-218781

I have no doubt that Criterion will also release the trilogy on DVD and BluRay later this year or early next year, but the chance to see these films projected is maybe a once in a lifetime situation.

Kevbo599, redgold and phoenix 7 like this.
  2. randomhitz

randomhitz Member

Saw all of these about 40 years ago. Would love to see them again

3. A-Bone

They also look and probably sound better than they did 40 years ago, so there is ample reason to see them again.

sixstringfuel likes this.
  4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I saw a couple of these and they were in pretty bad shape with drastically different tints for scenes

5. A-Bone

Yes. The versions of these films in circulation and available for home video have been pretty dodgy for a couple of generations. What Criterion is done here is like bringing them back to life.

6. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Man, I was thinking:
    [​IMG]
    I'm so, what's the opposite of erudite?

Blix, Bunky, Jason Calieri and 3 others like this.
  7. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Oddly, with such a large Indian community here, it's not playing in Chicago..... but it is being shown in Columbus, OH and Omaha, NE.

8. feet

feet Supporting Member

didn't realize this would play in theaters, i thought it was just your standard criterion restoration/release. i'm not sure if i'll be able to swing it, but this may be relevant to my interests. never seen the originals, but i do like watching the classics in a theater. i stumbled across wild strawberries once and it was life altering.

also, 140% sure nobody i know would want to go with me. :(

9. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

Never heard of them, and I thought I had pretty good film knowledge. Thanks for the heads up; I will seek these out.

10. aram

aram Member

The third one is one of my favorite films ever. Got to see them in nyc back în 2009. They'll beautiful!!!

11. feet

feet Supporting Member

i've only heard of them too, in those reverential tones that tell me that its something that should have happened to me a long time ago. so i'll try and rectify that. it looks like they are doing several screenings for each movie; i was kinda hoping for a one day marathon kinda thing. i need look at it more closely. its way the hell down town and i can't keep going back and forth when i have to work.

12. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

Provincial (is what an erudite person would say.)

You beat me to it with the Apu jpeg though.

As for the films, if A-Bone tells me I should see 'em, I damned well will.

derekd and marktweedy like this.
  13. A-Bone

For those not fortunate enough to live near one of the theaters that will screen the restored films, according to NPR Criterion will be releasing them on Bluray and DVD this November, which also means Hulu will be streaming them.

derekd likes this.
  14. A-Bone

The restored versions of the trilogy are now available from Criterion, and I imagine streaming is offered via Hulu, as well.

redisburning likes this.
  15. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

50% off on Criterion Collection at B&N

derekd and A-Bone like this.
  16. Fred_C

Fred_C Member

Wow, talk about something I never would have expected to find on TGP!

I spent a total of about 18 months during and right after college in Bangladesh. I traveled overland thru West Bengal to Calcutta 4-5 times back then. There is a very strong literary/poetic/film heritage in Bengali culture. There was a time when I was at least conversant and literate in Bengali, if not fluent, and I really worked at appreciating the writing of Rabindranath Tagore and the films of Satyajit Ray in that language. That time was long ago and has nothing to do with my present life, but I look forward to watching the Apu trilogy again from a different point in my life. Thanks for posting, I know what I'm asking for for Christmas this year!

A-Bone likes this.
  17. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I read the wiki page about the stories told in the trilogy, but I'm not clear as to why these are considered among the best films ever made. Thumbnail anyone?

A-Bone likes this.
  18. A-Bone

As with this sort of thing generally, it isn't the story that places them in the conversation of great cinema, it is their realization. That is, it is the lyrical and heartbreaking neorealist conception at the hands of Satyajit Ray, his nuanced direction, combined with the fantastic score by Ravi Shankar and the strong performances, the "how" more than the "what" that leads to the claims of greatness. I'd suggest you watch Pather Panchali, then determine if you want to continue on the journey -- for me it is one well worth undertaking.

19. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

A bit OT, but seeing 'Janus Films' in the OP reminded me that I have an early Blu-ray pressing of Nic Roeg's 'Walkabout' that has a playback issue. I know Criterion had a replacement program for such discs awhile back. I meant to send mine in but forgot about it. Curious if anyone (A-Bone?) knows if they are still doing this. I love that film and will probably upgrade it to 4k BD when available, one of a few select titles that I will buy yet again. Too bad Criterion can't do every film because they usually knock it out of the park.

I will have to make a point of seeing the Apu Trilogy, maybe this winter. Good time to catch up on movies.

cratz2 likes this.
  20. A-Bone

I don't know if they are still doing it, but the folks at Criterion (Jon Mulvaney and co.) have been very customer service oriented in my experience. mulvaney@criterion.com

cratz2, Don P. and phoenix 7 like this.