Once set, do you ever mess with your amp's EQ?

Che_Guitarra

I'm curious of the habits of guys with complex amps like the one below. Do you find yourself constantly tweaking/tailoring the EQ or do you just set and forget?

I'm curious because between both my amps I only have the one tone control, and to tell the truth I could probably do away with it because it never gets touched.

Hmmm...

27sauce

I only have Treble and Bass(BF Bassman), so not too much to mess with. Treble on 7ish Bass on 4.5.

If i do mess with it, its usually cutting the bass just a hair.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Nope, I use the same settings for everything on a given amp. The one exception is the bright switch on my Heritage Kenny Burrell; one guitar sounds better when it's engaged.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I am the less is more variety. My amp has Bass, mid, treble, cut. I just recently settled on a tone I love and jotted it down.
My backup amp is a Vox Night train and my fave setting is the EQ bypass.

MoonshineMan

Ha ha! Mine only has a Tone knob, and I've never been happier. :D
On my 800, there are 6 knobs total, and anywhere they are is fine with me. Usually I set them all to noon-ish.

JMMP1

Silver Supporting Member
I tweak for a long long time, then after I feel I hit it, leave it be. My roadster usually doesn't change, and my quad pre gets graphic eq changes when i switch power amps. Still tweaking the Mark IV. Have a JMP-1 coming in, and I am hoping that won't be as sensitive in the EQ as the Mesas.

Heady Jam Fan

I go through phases, yes. I'll mess around with it for a couple days, leave it for a few weeks, mess around again. Especially when I change something else in my rig - ie, between EL34s vs 6L6s, Celestion vs EVM speaker, and TS9 vs Rat for my gainier pedal.

Phletch

When I got my Mini Rec I diddled and fiddled with them - at first. While not a 3 knob simple tone stack it's a simple tone stack: Gain, Treb, Mid, Bass, Pres, Master x2 (1 for each channel).

Now, a year later, pretty much everything stays pretty much like this with perhaps some mids and treb rolled off on the red channel:

MoonshineMan

When I got my Mini Rec I diddled and fiddled with them - at first. While not a 3 knob simple tone stack it's a simple tone stack: Gain, Treb, Mid, Bass, Pres, Master x2 (1 for each channel).

Now, a year later, pretty much everything stays pretty much like this with perhaps some mids and treb rolled off on the red channel:

Are those all red lights, in and around the amp? How cool would it be if they were red for the red channel, but all turned green for the green channel? The whole amp would act like a mood lamp! :)

Coiffio

far too many variables but they usually all involve me constantly making adjustments. that's what the knob's are there for anyways.

dividedsky

Only if I start to become unhappy with the amp. Always been a set it and forget it guy. If I start messing with the settings a lot I'm probably going to sell the amp pretty soon.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Nope, haven't in months.

I experiment rarely but never actually end up using different settings live.

CubanB

When I use Peavey Vypyr for practice.. I deliberately avoid doing this.

I avoid saving any presets, and for any given tone or sound, I dial it in from scratch every time. A hi gain sound of a Dual Rec.. a EVH'ish tone through the 5150, a country clean through the Peavey Classic 30.. a Eric Johnson clean through the Twin Reverb etc.

Every day those tones will sound different.. more or less bass, more or less delay or reverb.. depending on the time of day, the volume etc etc. It keeps it feeling fresh and exciting.. like every day my tone could be better or worse. And it helps to fine tune the ears for what you want to hear. It only takes 2 mins to make these adjustments.. it's not like it's a hassle. It's fun, which is what practice should be I guess.

For my HT-60, which is similar to the JVM in OP.. it's set it and forget it I guess. It's more stale, but it's a trusthworthy sound.. to know it's always there when I need it. I make up for this with always changing the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.. and the Blackstar suits that better, since it's not a modeller.. and is more about an overall amp sound. And since it's tuned for higher volume, I don't like to change it.

I enjoy both.. in different ways. Main reason I'm rambling about all of this.. is I find tone exploration fun.. and knowing what you want.. and being able to find it from any amp in 2 minutes for any style of music is nice.

Get an effing awesome SRV tone through Yamaha THR as well. The clean/crunch thing, the strumming the strings hard, and bringing the strat alive. And at reasonable volumes. The THR is a great amp for that.. for tweaking and exploring because for every amp, the EQ reacts like it's really amp would. For the Plexi it's pretty much set and forget though.. I just put everything on 10.