Once you taste ac30 tone it's hard to go back

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wordsonyou, Jul 1, 2006.

1. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I am an admitted ampaholic ( I am addicted to ampahol:D)...and I began on my amp journey in 1992 and have continued obsessively trading back and forth ever since and probably will in perpetuity...but here's the thing - ever since I owned my 1st ac30 it seems no matter what boutique amp I try or whatever classic amp I use (Fenders, Marshalls, Hiwatts whatever), I am always using the Vox AC30 as the yardstick by which to measure tone. It's glorious cleans, the way at 12 O'clock just by how hard you pick you can alternate between midgain dark tones and chimey cleans, that sweet grindy saturation that occurs when you crank her - saturated but never buzzy (unless treble boosted by a solid state pedal), the ability to plug into the normal channel and actually use the treble pickup of the brightest guitars and then switch to their middle or neck pickups and use the brilliant top boosted channel to glorious effect. I have tried to be seduced by others - Matchlesses, BadCats, TopHats etc - all wonderful amps...but I am forever drawn back to the sweet siren song of the AC30. I know this...and yet I will continue to trade, try and play all others that come before me because I am weak - but I know the ac30 is my home...how sick is that? I always convince myself I can live without an ac30 (I tell myself how it will break down on the road or during a session, or how unreliable it is), and then I sell what I have and trade obsessively until my next ac30 fix. I then convince myself the reissue or CC will suffice, and it does, but then I say to myself - the PCB will warp, the switches will break, you'll see, and so I move on...deluxes, tremoluxes, JTM45, 18 Watt, bandmaster, boutique this and that...all better built, all more road worthy than any AC30 or reissue...and yet I miss that sweet tone, the diamond grill cloth, the 3 handles and vents...I clearly need professional amp. Does the AC30 haunt you or sicken you or neither...ampaholics need to know!

2. dehughes

dehughes Member

I just built one for myself, and love it. :)

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i'm currently back on that merry-go-round.
    last AC30 was over ten years ago and it went up in flames like all the others. bought a DC30, but it's 'voxish' quality sounds too much like it's been working out in the gym, going to the tanning booth, drinking fresh juice, quit smoking and drinking booze and goes to bed at a decent hour.
    i've been playing a few buddies JMIs lately and that torn jeans, dark glasses at night, drinks and smokes too much, hasn't seen the sunlight in weeks snarl is really gettin' to me.
    i have had a hayseed 30 on order for nigh on to half a year now with no clear indication of when it will arrive and no guarantee that it's gonna fit the bill even when it does get here. based on others experience that i have read, it very well could.
    then there is this:

[​IMG]

which can be placed in this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to drive this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

which i would then place in this:

[​IMG]

i have an important recording project soon and amongst all of the amps that i intend to use, the big hole is the AC30. i could buy a JMI era AC30 but i have abysmal luck in destroying them. i tend to live in the "7" and above area of the volume knobby and i'm not sure a 40+ year old amp not built to work on our voltages is a prudent choice for me. i could rent a JMI, but i hate to throw my money away with rentals. perhaps the hayseed 30 will arrive before the recording begins, perhaps it won't. i can get the above package by the date the recording begins and i am on the verge of pulling the trigger just so i won't stress about having an amp when i need it.
    so yeah, i hear what U're saying.

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I do have a Toronto connection that rents out his ac30 head if you need one in a pinch if you so require.

I hear what you are saying about the dc30- some shared similarities but it definitely has its own muscular souped up thing going on. I do like those, but I keep coming up ac30.

5. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

On the other hand we do need someone to get a JMJ amp from Masco up here in Toronto...it just might be you :horse

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I am ALSO obsessed with AC30 tone! AC30CCs, DC30s, AD30s, and RSA31s...all stops on my quest for that Vox tone that I can't seem to live without. Something about that unstable quartet of EL84s that drives me to a sonic orgasm!!

7. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

did you try the rsa31 yet? I must admit that one has me very curious!

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i have a good connection for a very sweet combo if i wanna rent, but thanx anywho.
    i am jonesing for some nasty AC30 tones. love my DC30, but she ain't givin' up those goods.
    wadda ya think of that "JMJ" head and those vox licensed fawn cabs and trolleys?
    i know, i'm a sucker for pretty gear...

9. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Well the JMJ amp has left me drooling for a few months and the NCM fawn cabinets are not only killer sounding but the prettiest darn things in fawn and add some silver trolley magic and we're back at the Cavern Club aren't we? How do you beat that? The JMJ is very intriguing no doubt!

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yup! Went down to Fred's shop and put it through the playing test. So good that I put down my deposit right there! It sounds like some of the best JMIs I have played, and as you turn it up it gets so pissed off you think something's going to blow! An amazingly rich, chimey, EL84 overdrive that I can't stop thinking about. It was definitely a tighter bass and more aggresive than my AC30CC, packed full of juicy harmonics that sang on my open chords. Almost as flexible, however, especially with a mid knob. Made the DC30's overdrive sound fizzy and uncontrollable, not to mention way better bass. One of the great things about the RSA31 is that click channel. Not only do you have you treble-mid-bass-volume channel, but the click channel has a whole new realm of aggressiveness, from clean to mean. No reverb, no trem, but I didn't miss it (yet..hehe). Plus with a half power you can get beautiful U2 headroom or drop it to about 15 watts so you can crank that beast at the gig!

I pick it up August 1st...I can't wait a full month!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

You owe it to yourself to try one out, I'll try and get some clips up too.

11. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Oh no...not another option...actually I have been eyeing the RSA31 for the better part of 6 months - just trying to figure out how to raise the dough - as you know the /13 command top dollar and much gear must be sacrificed for me to make it happen.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

so, U haven't actually heard the JMJ yet?
    i've only got it from one person (that i do not know) that has one that says that it is everything a JMI era is w/ a choice of iron to suit Ur personal taste.
    NCM also sells the vox stickers for the backs of the celestions as well as the vox metal plates for the serial/model number. it's that attention to aesthetic detail that has me ready to go.
    and...
    there is NO WAY i would ever try and pass the thing off for anything other than what it truly was. altho' i suspect that there would be a bevy of ppl from the "clone" thread that would want to stone me.
    oh well.

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

then there is the komet constellation.
    OK, so that really isn't gonna do the same thing as an AC30.
    never mind.

14. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Yep but nothing wrong with a little Twreck type aggression every once in a while...the thing about the JMJ is that they are so affordable (then again you need to get a box to mount it)...1400 bucks and you get to you use merc trannies or the HW series handwound trannies - that is in many ways a great deal. Yikes it is 4AM - need to go to sleep (before the baby wakes)...

15. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Just wait until you've raised the dough for THAT. Then you'll want the 9/15, the LDW...it's over.

An expensive addiction. Cocaine would be cheaper.

16. i51423

i51423 Member

I played an AC30CC at GC the other day... WOW. I've been missing out. If the original AC30s sound better than that.. I don't think I could handle it. I realllllly want one now.

Are they really that unstable? I would be subjecting mine to a decent amount of touring.

17. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well now you've got it from two people you don't know....:AOK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

is it completed now, David?

19. Babaji

Babaji Member

...I was asked to do some demo clips of the JMJ amp. It's a really nice amp! Who is making the cabinets shown here?
    Bill

20. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

North Coast