one amazing jazz tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Roccaforte Amps, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

2. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Sick tone and even sicker sense of time ....Reminds me of something Duke said .
    Amazing concept and great melodic sense ...bit he`s killing the poor bass and drums who are desperately trying to lock into a time feel .

oh well ....

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

I never liked his tone, honestly, but the playing is great. I think I just prefer traditional jazz guitar tones... I like that dead crappy amp clean sound sound. :)

4. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Thanks for the link Doug. Amazing playing. What a talent. Don't care for the tone at all though....

Dan

5. hogy

hogy Member

Tone's thin and plinky to my ears. I need to hear the right hand for what I consider great tone.

To each his own.

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I actually booked Jordan for a Jazz festival I used to run back in the early 90s. Pretty sure we got him JC120s for his backline...

Amazing virtuosity, without question. Fussy eater, too... LOL!

Not really my cup of tea, though...

7. KLB

KLB Member

Thanks for the link.

I saw him play that a few years ago. He was on tour with Sharon Isbin, Herb Ellis and Rory Block. On short notice, he was taking Michael Hedges place (who had just died in a car accident.) Each artist played about 30 minutes. I was pretty impressed with Rory Block, too. I kept thinking I was hearing an old black man play delta blues, but instead I saw a good looking white woman on stage. The setting was Spivey Hall, Atlanta's best and most intimate concert hall, which is built around a Ruffatti pipe organ. If you think a Marshall stack is loud, go hear one of these!

I don't care for the tone Stanley Jordan gets, but his ambidexterity and groove is amazing! Autumn Leaves was the one that brought the house down. I got to chat with Stanley after the show as he was signing CDs and such. He said he was more interested in computer programming than playing guitar!

At the time, I was acquainted with the lady who did the booking for Spivey Hall. She said that after the patrons left, Stanley asked if he could play the pipe organ. They accomodated him, and he proceeded to blow everyone away with his spontaneous keyboard musings.

I have always felt that Stanley should have played a large acoustic piano. Imo, he would sound better and be able to offer a more complete musical statement.

His tap-guitar playing is impressive -- it is much more than some cute parlor trick -- but it never captivated me musically because of the thin tone and other limitations.

8. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

Saw Stanley at the Les Paul birthday party in NYC a year or so ago. He's truly an amazing performer and has a unique style. Guys like Hedges, Jordan, Ben Lacy, are more like "piano players using guitars" than guitarist to my ears. Palazzolo is right...lol.

The tone, not a traditional jazz guitar tone to my ears. I think it's set that way to make the style he plays in, work better for him. The best "traditional" jazz guitar tones are guys like Howard Roberts (perhaps the best jazz tone ever/a true gear head/warm & articulate, dymanic), Johnny Smith, guys like Jim Hall etc.

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

doug, the playing is stellar but those tones remind of a $99 casio keyboard , not my bag at all dude.

Jimmy

10. fyler

fyler Member

that bassist rips.

i used to have a travis bean exactly like the one on the stand...i kinda miss it.

11. Rossl

Rossl Member

Great playing, tone not my choice. I always thought his tone was a little thin/harse.

If I could play like that I would settle for that tone anyday

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I saw Jordan in the early eighties at San DIeg State when he was vertually unknown. I was amazed at his style and technique. His tone"not so much eh".

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I know the tone is weak, I figured it was the only way to post this clip here without it getting yanked instantly. You know "amp forum", amp related post!

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Good thinking Doug! Lol! Thanks for that clip, totally amzing. Who cares about tone when you can play like that. Unreal.

15. Mark C

Mark C Member

16. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

anybody know who the bassist is? He kicks butt as well.

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I forgot to metion to watch the bass player,
    that guy is sick, and really puts on the goods/show.
    Those type of bass players are amazing how they
    keep going and going never missing a beat.

18. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Then you'll love this one, watch the blues lick
    in the intro he plays while holding a bar cord,
    its crazy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWYt2zlTOmQ

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

SICK!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

20. Zander

Zander Member

love the travis bean guitar.:AOK