One amp...for five years....what would you choose ??

joemiracle220

You had to limit to $2,000 didn't you! ;)

That being the case, I would go for one of the following (used, obviously):

• Fuchs ODS 30
  • /13 FTR 37
  • Sommatone OD35
  • Mesa Mark V
Get that price up to $3K - $4K and I'll have a new list for you!
FTR37 is a great amp...if they made that in a 112 I'd be all over that so hard... the mesa mark v is another great choice.

The only amp I've had for over 5 years was a dr.z stingray 212 with blues..... if it wasn't gor the 212 weight and the fact that it could get fluby with high gain pedals I'd still have it. .. I've heard the flubbyness would go away with golds but I never had the money to try that when I had it.

bluesky636

Any amp that I build myself, and I have built three: 5F6A clone, 5F1 clone, Trainwreck Express clone.

JackStraw12

I owned only one amp (Fuchs TDS) which was used with all of my guitars for seven years. Last year I purchased a Fuchs ODS which became my practice / travel amp.

So my answer would be a used ODS or Mod ODS for $2k if you can find one.

Jazz,
I actually had a ODS mod for about a year and it was wonderful, but for ODS style amps I personally needed seperate EQs for when the OD was layered into the clean channel. Many will disagree with me, but I couldn't balance the EQs properly. The 5:50+ I have now gets pretty close to my ODS sound with the way I set the burn channel. The TDS solves the dual EQ problems for me!

Geetarman74

Silver Supporting Member
I bought mine last year for $1,600 w/ free shipping. in good shape, with the footswitch and the tubes had lots of life left.

crazy gear market these days.
No doubt. You would think the country was in a recession based on used gear prices. Tough to move anything without nearly giving it away. On the bright side....GREAT time to buy used gear. Definitely a buyers market out there right now.

A number of years ago that was my situation. I had just over $2000 saved up for an amp that I knew would be my only one for quite some time. I got the Mesa Mark V based on its tone, flexibility, and good reliability reputation of mesa. I'll have had it for 6 years come late december and it has been my only amp for that whole duration. I'm still very happy with it and have yet to play an amp that I like better

jimmyj

If I understand the OP I can't just continue using the TopHat Club Royale I've been using since 2006.

If I have to pick a different amp to use exclusively I'll take either the Top Hat Super Deluxe, Super 33, or maybe use a Marshall Bluesbreaker RI again.

FFTT

The higher quality big iron amps are going to be quite heavy in any combo.

It would help to know what your limits are on power, weight, priorities on clean headroom, drive tones, overall genre you're working in.
General tonality, Fender, Marshall, Vox, Ampeg, Hiwatt, high gainer, classic gain.

Once a combo gets up to over 40 pounds its time to think about splitting the weight.

Last edited:

AD1982

Two words, "TWEED" and "DELUXE"

Tungsten Cortez, Victoria 5E3 or a Valvetrain 315. They'll all do just fine.

FFTT

The amp that has grabbed my attention more than any other this year is the Magnatone Twilighter, but that's over your budget by $500.00

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I've had my Harvard and Pro Reverb for five years. I've had the bronco for less, but a derivation of vibro champ for more.

Was thinking of selling the Harvard because the perfect tone for it comes from a hard to source speaker. But now that the speaker is in the amp again- I feel like it's a keeper once more.

The pro reverb is a tank and undying. It will outlive me.

The vibro champ ain't sexy but it's the daily driver and you always need one around to do something.

FFTT

Just looked up a Matchless Chieftain 1X12 Combo 71 pounds. Head weight not listed.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 50 Head weighs 52 pounds.
Reeves Custom 50 Head 42 pounds, same for Custom 50 Jimmy
/13 FTR 37 Head weighs 43 pounds.
/13 LDW 17/39 Head 42 pounds.

Trending Topics