• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

One amp to play blues, classic rock, 80's hard rock

peterdjp

Silver Supporting Member
Diezel Einstien/VH4
PWE EH 3
Sure PT 100
Egnater MOD100/TOL
Friedman

Sorry, didn't see the 1500 or less bit. So...Maybe the DSL or Budda then.

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
Why is it that so many guys who like 80s hard rock or metal dislike dirt pedals?
I dunno about the 80s guys, but anyone who uses a fair amount of gain for a majority of the set probably prefers amp gain because...it sounds better? Feels better? Grows hair on your chest? I mean let's be real...most pedals are trying to emulate the sound and feel of amps. Why not just use the real thing?

IMO, pedals for the house, cranked amp with the band. Even then.... I'm starting to stray away from that first part.

Pedals are fun and can give you all sorts of versatility, but they are not amps. I'll leave it at that.

ScottySevins

I would go used mesa something maybe even used. Their heartbreaker amp was a phenomenal amp for those type of tones. Nomad, dual caliber series. Just imo

Polvo

Super Lead with PPIMV, my `71 gets classic Zep, Free to Warren DiMartini Lay it Down, The only thing I changed was the master and I put in el34s, otherwise stock, but I also know not all Super Leads were created equal.

Baminated

OP, Your demands are similar to mine stylistically, you def need a 3 channel amp.

I do respect that you want to try it out, but stores are not targeting their market demographic towards people like us.

Look at this past NAMM insofar as the big companies who are carried by music retailers is concerned - they are making and selling cheap bedroom wank junk as the target.

The only amps i can think of is the EVH 50w amp as far as what stores carry - great amp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH-5150III-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-107934218-i2537305.gc

perhaps some ENGL or Egnater offerings ?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Engl,Guitar-Amplifier-Heads-Guitar-Amplifiers.gc?ipp=50&o=3

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater...ds-Guitar-Amplifiers.gc?extup=Engl&ipp=50&o=3

Last edited:

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I dunno about the 80s guys, but anyone who uses a fair amount of gain for a majority of the set probably prefers amp gain because...it sounds better? Feels better? Grows hair on your chest? I mean let's be real...most pedals are trying to emulate the sound and feel of amps. Why not just use the real thing?

IMO, pedals for the house, cranked amp with the band. Even then.... I'm starting to stray away from that first part.

Pedals are fun and can give you all sorts of versatility, but they are not amps. I'll leave it at that.
:agree

David Vee

For what the OP is asking, I'd suggest the Egnater Renegade. Clean to mean and everything in between. It likes single coils as well as humbuckers. The clean channel can sound as sweet as you want it, the dirty channel can be very Marshall-like, or nail that 80's tone without pedals. An overlooked amp here in the land of the boutique... but a fun amp in my stable of amps as a do-it-all workhorse with great tone. Also, a very quiet noise floor amp for recording - no hum/buzz and dead silent changing between the channels.

I also highly recommend a blended 2x12 cab - Celestion V30 with a Celestion Lead 80 if you don't opt for the Egnater matching cab. A Marshall 2x12 loaded this way delivers the sound of the Eganter cab easily... although the removable middle panel on the Egnater cab I suppose is something to consider for versatility. I already had the Marshall cab in my collection, so I elected to make the speaker change.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom