One amp - Two separate cabs - Is a Stereo set-up possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jean-Francois Quevillon, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Jean-Francois Quevillon

Jean-Francois Quevillon Member

Yeah, I had a Kemper before going back the Tube Amp... And I felt in love with the Triple Crown :O

On my side, it's all about the new pedal I just bought which is a Seymour Duncan Dark Sun. I can select to send the reverb on one side and the delay on the other... Oh boy, that looks nice!!! I also have a Strymon BigSky and would probably benefit a lot of having a stereo set-up!

Steve Hotra likes this.
  2. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Yes. Stereo is the way to go. At least at home.

3. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

imho, one needs a true stereo amp for use with stereo effects....or two identical amps. I prefer two separate amps so that they can be setup with some distance between them the way that the speakers of a good stereo hi-fi system should be set......minimum of 6 feet distance and more is better. Each side of the stereo eff3ct needs to have its own dedicated amplification system, imho.
    I have owned an ES-345 Gibsonce since 1967. I have owned a Bell——Gibson—-GA-78 stereo amp...,separate preamps and power amps. Cool...but the speakers are too close together to really get that stereo soundstage.
    Things get bigger and more interesting with two identical amps set some distance apart.

4. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

It’s semantics but stereo implies a panoramic sound field with the ability to position sounds in that sound field. Even if you technically have a stereo setup if you pipe the same signal down both sides it’s just mono. Some thing has to happen on one side different than the other.

Looking back a few posts, if you had a stereo rig and piped a verbed sound (but no delay) down one side and delay (but no verb) down the other, and I’m assuming the dry sound is going to both, is the intention for the listener to hear verb in their left ear and delay in their right? If not, and you’re wanting a blend of verb, delay and direct all mixed together then you’re really talking some variation of dual mono.

I had a stereo rig forever. I’d slave the main dry sound down to line level. Put that in a mixer and then I could blend in all kinds of stereo and mono effects. Power it up with a stereo power amp out to 2 identical cabs. It’s a cool sound. I think landau was one of the more famous for this type of setup but he’d actually mic the dry cab, lay in effects from his rack and then give the engineer a left/right feed with the effects mixed into the dry exactly how he wanted it.

I think you actually get a wider mix just having two takes or 2 parts hard panned, but that’s a recording thing. Obviously one person couldn’t do that live.

5. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

Actually, that's not what I meant -

the Fryette takes a signal from the SPEAKER OUTPUT of the amp.

The Fryette also its own separate INTERNAL EFFECTS LOOP.

There are two speaker outputs from the amp; send one to a cab, then the other into the Fryette and into a cab - no need to use the amp loop at all

FbIsNotE likes this.
  6. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

FbIsNotE likes this.
  7. pats

pats Supporting Member

I use the Kingsley 'Dumble' (Maiden and Page) into the line-in on my PS-2 and it sounds great. I still have the loop available if I want effects on that side only.

For me 'stereo' depends on an effect. I use a Strymon Deco.

8. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

What you’re talking about is wet/dry, not stereo.

9. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Stereo tube amps for guitar are a thing. Mesa Boogie has made quite a few. But with only a few exceptions they are all rackmount.

Also, most players who use heads and want stereo just use 2 heads, with the stereo effects feeding the FX returns of the two amps. All other things being equal, it isn’t that much cheaper or lighter to pack 2 full tube output sections into one head than to have 2 mono heads - i.e., if you want stereo and don’t want to use a rackmount power amp, just get 2 identical heads and run them in stereo.

10. Jean-Francois Quevillon

Jean-Francois Quevillon Member

$$$$$$$

11. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

What's the signal chain look like with the stereo pedal returning to the FX loop of the two heads?

Is it this?

Guitar Out -> Input of Stereo Chorus (used as a splitter) --> Use Both Outputs of Stereo Chorus --> Left to Input of Amp A & Right to Input of Amp B

Amp A Effects Loop Out --> Input L of Stereo Delay --> Output L of Stereo Delay --> Amp A Effects Loop In

Amp B Effects Loop Out --> Input R of Stereo Delay --> Output R of Stereo Delay --> Amp B Effects Loop In

12. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

TC50 has multiple output options, all of which can be used with the "speaker" switch on. Use one of these "direct out" options to feed the 2nd channel of a "stereo" setup. You may need some type of DI or level adjustment box to feed whatever is going to send signal to the second channel.

13. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

That's one way to do it. Depending on the pedal and where you'd want it in the signal chain you could also go: guitar -> input of either amp ->effect loop send of the amp you're plugged into into input of chorus (or delay or whatever your stereo effect is) --> output L to the effect loop return of one amp // output R to the effect loop return of the other amp. Both amps out to their designated cab.

rumbletone likes this.
  14. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

(In my examples, the kind of pedal wasn't important, just illustrative of the stereo setup.)

I think I like your way better. If I understand it correctly the following is happening...

1. The first amp is just operating normally with guitar in and the effects loop being used. It doesn't matter that second output on the effects pedal is sending a signal elsewhere (and in this case the effects return second amp).

2. By only using the effects loop return of the second amp, you're really just using it as a power amp. There's no guitar input and there for no output from the effects loop send either. Just the effects loop return from the stereo pedal. So this means the signal isn't affected by the pre-amp and it's just going to be "processed" by the power amp stage? (Of course, I'm wondering how often this is the case as there are many makes and models of amps).

15. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifie...iple-crown-tc-50/head.html#amplifier-features

Yes. I can see your point. The TC-50 says it's line out is... Uncompensated Line Output works as Slave Out

Then it's a question of a second amp that can be used as a power amp only? Would the effects loop return of a second TC-50 work for this...?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    FbIsNotE likes this.
  16. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Yes the loop return would work. I used my Mesa Subway Rocket with a Peavey Classic 50 this way for many years when I wanted wet/dry instead of stereo. Subway Rocket has a headphone out with it's own adjustable gain which was perfect for the application. Isolation transformer prevented ground loops. A Classic 50 power amp being fed with the MONSTER gain of the beast that is the Subway Rocket is a pretty potent and unique sound that people seemed to enjoy.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure all the TC50 low level outs work with the power amp / speaker engaged. So potential taps would be...

1. Line out
    2. Headphone out
    3. Cab Clone out

Edit: Read the manual and it says the Headphone out is derived from the Cab Clone and defeats the Cab Clone XLR. So really there are just two available taps other than the FX loop.

1. Line out = Speaker signal knocked down to DI voltage, no processing.
    2. Cab Clone from XLR or 1/4". Gain adjustable with processing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  17. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

Hmmm... I seem to remember that ground loops can be an issue when "linking" two amps. I'm going to need to look into the ground loop question a little more seriously. No sense killing myself for stereo.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  18. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

This was / is an essential part to my old 2 combo stereo rig. They are cheap and VERY effective. The one I have is from the early 90's and works like the day I bought it.

It's just 2 transformers in a box = 2 separate channels of operation. Small, no moving parts and completely passive. There are newer version that are basically the same thing.

[​IMG]

rumbletone likes this.
  19. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

20. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

Here it is...

FbIsNotE likes this.