• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

one and only pedal to turn plexi into a bedroom amp?

johngalt2004

Silver Supporting Member
First off, I hate stomps. I hate having to stay on top of batteries, or introduce wall wart noise. I hate having to remember to unplug the cord when I'm done to stop draining the battery. I hate pedals and everything they stand for.

but..

I have a vintage 50 watt marshall half stack in my small man cave, and I love the amp and want to keep it. It sounds heavenly.

My ears and windows cannot take this thing cranked.

I fear all attenuators including Ultimate Attenuator.

soo.....

I want to buy a single pedal that I can use to give me some overdriven sounds, distorted sounds, and sustain - I want to be able to do all those things with just one stomp. It has to be built tough.

There are just frankly too many pedals out there!

Does anybody have a half stack in a bedroom that they are taming with a stop pedal - so you can play along with records and get good overdriven classic rock tones at volumes that won't make the neighbors call the cops?

Thanks for advice from your experience. By the way I play a strat with low gain single coils (5.5 kohms - 6.5 kohms). The Marshall is an old ptp metal front, and the cab is a 4X12 with old prerola type speakers.

Lolaviola

Well, sounds like you'd be making a sow's ear purse out of a sow's ear...
But try a treble booster or an MXR 6-band EQ to get you your tone at a little bit more reasonable volume.

Skreddy

Silver Supporting Member
Really there is no one pedal; you live in a time where there are a plethora of great choices that will do exactly what you're looking for.

It used to be a sort of holy grail to get a cranked-tube-amp tone at bedroom volumes. I'd say that nut has been cracked many times over now.

johngalt2004

Silver Supporting Member
plethora .
exactly my problem.

Lolaviola what do you mean exactly? I can't sell the amp in this economy and I don't have bucks to buy a 6G2 Princeton. So I want to make the best of a bad situation (a good situation would be room for the Marshall to breath AND a 6G2... but I don't have space or money for that).

imguitardan

A Timmy will give you "your" sound at any volume (I often use it as a choke for home use with my 100 '73 Super Lead). A BJF Honey Bee can give a saggy version of that tone at any volume as well.

FWIW: Attenuators suck because cranked amp tone is not only in the tubes but also in the speakers. The HBOD does a great job of simulating the speaker flub as well.

Craise

A Timmy will give you "your" sound at any volume (I often use it as a choke for home use with my 100 '73 Super Lead). A BJF Honey Bee can give a saggy version of that tone at any volume as well.

FWIW: Attenuators suck because cranked amp tone is not only in the tubes but also in the speakers. The HBOD does a great job of simulating the speaker flub as well.

I agree both of these pedals came to mind when I read the original post.
:BluesBros

john l

Silver Supporting Member
You are the text book deffinition of a person who would appreciate Zvex's Distortron. Go check out the demo on his site.
As far as Overdrives go, its not the flavor of the month anymore but I firmly believe the OCD is something special, and would be a fine choice for money spent.

VHS analog

In addition to the previous suggestions, you may also want to consider a nice 1x12 low wattage cabinet. It will scale down your tone somewhat and can push the 1 speaker a little bit harder.

johngalt2004

Silver Supporting Member
...its not the flavor of the month anymore but I firmly believe the OCD is something special, and would be a fine choice for money spent.
current most likely candidate due to price and availability.

nobody has mentioned the fulldriveII I had thought that was another popular mid-price choice?

Thanks for all the great suggestions. If I find one of the more exotic suggestions on the bay or CL I'll keep them in mind.

Lolaviola

exactly my problem.

Lolaviola what do you mean exactly? I can't sell the amp in this economy and I don't have bucks to buy a 6G2 Princeton. So I want to make the best of a bad situation (a good situation would be room for the Marshall to breath AND a 6G2... but I don't have space or money for that).
I mean that by saying you dont want a pedal, and play low-output strat at bedroom vol is gonna get you only halfway regardless.
going the pedal route, the ocd, the rat etc. give fair results. another approach, to retain more amp-feel, is to boost your signal with line drivers, (treble boost, eq, micro amp), may be more to your liking.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
current most likely candidate due to price and availability.

nobody has mentioned the fulldriveII I had thought that was another popular mid-price choice?

Thanks for all the great suggestions. If I find one of the more exotic suggestions on the bay or CL I'll keep them in mind.

You obviously got that amp because you liked the way it sounded, I would pick up the Distortron first. If you dont like it return it for an OCD, there about the same cost at GC. I only say this because I was floored by how close it got to a cranked up vintage marshall not unlike yours. This way when presented with an oportunity to crank up your amp you end up with similar tones and wont have to adjust too much.

I wouldnt recomend a full drive or any Tube Screamer/SD1 pedal unless you can get your amp cooking a little bit, sounds like the opposite direction you wanted to go. But hell get that one too just because its bad ass. ;)

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
The Analogman Astrotone comes to mind.

Sure, it's supposed to be a fuzz, but you can dial it back and have a mild distortion too.

Very versatile pedal.

jboyjams

I have a 1987x and a super 100JH. I first tried a Hot Plate but sold it and upgraded to the Ultimate Attenuator. It is excellent.

I still use the pedals listed below in my signature - but for the 1987x even on 2 I need to attenuate some. I am very picky and very impressed with my UA.

Polynitro

CMATMODS Brownie for a cranked 80s Marshall (people say it doesnt do plexi but I think it does early Ac/DC as well as EVH), for just nice dirt/od I use a Machine Head Pedal 72 Degrees...its like a Tubescreamer I guess.

re-animator

box of rock FTW.

definitely stay away from treble boosters if you want to keep things quiet. they add gain and make the amp louder, as well as making it seem louder by adding upper mids.

johngalt2004

Silver Supporting Member
box of rock FTW.

definitely stay away from treble boosters if you want to keep things quiet. they add gain and make the amp louder, as well as making it seem louder by adding upper mids.
Good point. The amp idles kind of loud as it is. thanks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom