One bass to rule them all!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Killed_by_Death, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

If you were in close quarters (think dorm room) & could only have one bass guitar, which would you choose?

For me, a G&L L-2000:

[​IMG]

Active or Passive, Series or Parallel. It's quite versatile.

• PICKUPS: Two G&L Magnetic Field humbucking pickups
    • BODY WOOD: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
    • NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard
    • NECK PROFILE: G&L 1 5/8" Medium C with 9 1/2" radius
    • FRETS: Medium Jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
    • TUNING KEYS: Custom G&L "Ultra-Lite" with aluminum tapered string posts
    • BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
    • ELECTRONICS: Tri-Toneā„¢ system with 3-position pickup selector, series/parallel switch, 3-position pre-amp mode switch, volume, treble, bass
    • CASE: deluxe Tolex hardshell

Disclaimer:

Factory only, i.e. not a custom or modded item.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

I keep coming back to the Jazz Bass.... Had a couple of them. Love the body shape, and the sounds.

3. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

I've owned 2 L2000's over the years. In fits of pure insanity I ended up selling both for reasons I can't even remember. In retrospect letting them go was really shortsighted. Super versatile, incredible sounding basses.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Member

I would want a P bass special. P and J pickups, P body with a (faster & slimmer) J neck. That would give me both the P and J sounds, and would replace my Squier Affinity P and J partsbass. Wouldn't be able to have the fat round deep tone of my Rivoli, but since I could only have one...

5. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I've been a die hard music man guy. One day I want to own all configurations of the Sterling.

Zappatalist and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. geese_com

geese_com Member

A Music Man Big Al SSS is pretty versatile. I not much of a bass player but I own a 5 string version and I feel like it can cover a lot of ground.

7. cardinal

cardinal Member

Something P/J. I'd go for a Spector NS5, but I could see how a lot of folks would think it's maybe not versatile enough.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Member

I like my Warmoth 3-pickup jazz. It's the most flexible passive bass I have ever played.

[​IMG]

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I have had a lot of basses over the last 35 plus years. My main bass has been a 4001 for about the last 20. I recently got a Spector Euro NS4LX ( February) and I haven't played anything else since. So at this point I am going to surmise that if I could only have one it would be a US Spector NS2.

10. Poseidal

Poseidal Member

I got a reasonably priced Ibanez because it was quite versatile, and the SR shape and neck is comfy.

The new ones have the humbuckers with split, series and parallel (I think), and a 3 band EQ. Lots of sounds to choose from.

I actually got the maple bodied one as I liked the extra weight for the balance. My old P-bass copy was too neck heavy, and that had a bigger, more uncomfortable body too.

11. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

So why not install a mudbucker in the neck position of your P Bass Special? I thought about doing that to my Squier SS Jaguar, but buying and installing the pickup would probably cost more than I paid for the bass.

To answer the OP's question, if I could only have one bass, it would be the Squier I have now.

12. s2y

s2y Member

I really like a nice active P/J bass.

[​IMG]

I recently picked up this Cliff Bordwell fretless 6 that's also headless. It's strung with TI Jazz Flats. The pickups and preamp are by Nordstrand. The big pickup is a Big Man. I'm tempted to add a coil splitter to get a little more brightness from the bridge PU. It doesn't quite do the Jaco, Manring, or upright-ish sound of my Rob Allen basses, but a great all around bass to bring. It also can be passive and has a conventional tone knob.

I'm hoping to add a headless fretted 6 to throw in a gig bag with this guy.

13. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The L-2000 is a catch-all bass for sure.
    I would probably have either my 97 US Jazz V or a PJ version of it.

14. royd

royd Member

I tend to be a one instrument kind of guy. On acoustic guitar I play my #1 Lowden. I've owned scores of other guitars including single luthier guitars. I only play the Lowden so I sold everything else.

When it comes to bass, I'm a one bass guy. I own two but the second (a fretless MIM Pbass) sits under my bed and will likely go up for sale soon.

So my one bass is the one in my avatar, a Bee Bass Groovebee:
    Papau New Guinea mahogany body,
    Delano Xtender pup,
    EMG BQC preamp.
    3 piece quartersawn maple neck with Jatoba fingerboard with maple lines and CA glue coating.
    Hipshot model A bridge
    Ultralite tuners
    6lbs 12oz

It is versatile but if you're looking for a traditional Fender sound, it's not there. It works for me. I'm not making a living playing bass so I don't have to worry about meeting strict requirements to sound (or look) like something other than what I want.

[​IMG]

jerrycampbell, whuppo, d1dsj and 2 others like this.
  15. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I could be happy with either my SB2 or my Jazz bass, really. SB2 gets me the grunt of the L series without the mud they can sometimes have (owned a US and a tribby L2500 at various times), but really only the P style pickup gets used. Then my ash/maple jazz w/ DiMarzios just has THAT sound. So yeah, hard call, I'll keep both :)

16. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Jazz or Precision, dependent upon ones preference. I'll take a Jazz bass for its growl, snap, and versatility.

17. sprag

sprag Member

I used to take at least 2 basses to every gig. since I got my Lakland 5501 that has changed.

18. rob2966

rob2966 Member

Sadowsky 5-string. Pick your favourite pickup variation but the PJ is a popular swiss army knife option.

Later
    Rob

joshinthecity and Floyd Eye like this.
  19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

uh, a good P-bass. is this a trick question? ;)

(hate to say it, but so far this thread is full of examples of very nicely made basses that as a bass player i'd walk right past and and that most bands and recording engineers would be glad i did.)

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the occasional mentions of a jazz bass :)

as much as i like the idea of switching series/parallel active/passive P/J/MM/soapbar multi-string monsters with onboard 7-band parametric EQ, the plain passive fenders just end up sounding better with the rest of the band, and the other band members and the soundguys all know it.

for me it's my '96 american standard P, modded with a fralin pickup, 500k pots (for extra grind) and lightweight keys. it just effortlessly sounds right for any pop/rock/alternative/blues/country band i play it in.

were i doing solo jazz fusion ambient music or whatever then i suppose a more exotic bass might be the ticket, but for playing in a "regular band" the fender-types just win every time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    BobK, SUBmariner, Kronos147 and 4 others like this.