One BIG vote for hide glue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by soldano16, Jan 11, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Just kidding but I did notice on Max's site that he does say...

" even the type of glue affects the sound"

Considering his replicas bring more $$ than ANYONE elses, he might know something.

http://www.maxguitars.com/pages/649910/index.htm

2. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

I've been using the hide glue in an Elmer's-like bottle for some repairs, but haven't gotten into the crystal stuff that you melt in a pot....I wonder if that's better??

3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

The type of glue most certainly affects the sound...

...but so does everything else. A guitar is a whole package. The glue will change it in certain ways, but not necessarily in a pleasing direction.

4. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Some "play like butter" , some "sound like ass" ...... :D

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

The hide glue you mix from crystal needs to be heated to a specific temp - it has to go on and the pieces joined fast as it sets up as it cools. The stuff in the bottle has a long open time like regular aliphatic resin glues. That's a very condensed explanation, but you get the idea.

6. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Interesting note....Martin recently issued the "D-18 Authentic", made dead-on as a 1930's guitar, without truss rod and using hide glue and they sound unreal, above and beyond the Golden Era reissues. Absolutely huge, and thats even before they're properly played-in. I'm sure the ebony reinforcing rod (in lieu of a truss rod) has something to do with it, but you can't discount the effect hide glue has on the instrument's joining and resonance.

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

The liquid hide glue is no where as strong as the hot hide glue you mix. Also the hot hide glue dries much quicker and harder than liquid hide glue, possibly transferring tone better from the joints. It is a little tricky to use so it takes a little practice to get the joints together fast before it starts to jell.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

9. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Authentic has a truss rod. Just not adjustable. It is the old style T-bar. Made of steel. BTW, ebony was used mid 20s to 1934, late 1934 to 1942 changed to steel T-bar, 44-46 back to ebony (WWII steel shortage) and back to the T bar until about 67.

hunter

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Hide glue is much better than super glue for repairing any defect that has the potential in the future to recur or expand and thus need revisiting. This is a very important point to keep in mind when your tech tells you, "Well, I could quickly superglue that crack for $50 or repair it with hot hide glue for $125."