One box to rule them all - maybe two?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by swinginguitar, Nov 27, 2017.

1. looper309

looper309 Supporting Member

I just meant a footswitch for scrolling presets instead of using the knob. Want to take care of the knob and not use it to scroll from 100 to 149 for example to avoid unnecessary wear. For first learning the presets...of course eventually moving the favorite presets to their own register/bank and then use midi.

2. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

As I RTFMs for the 80/81, I'll be posting some questions/discussion points, that will no doubt seem elementary to those with experience with these machines (i'm looking at you, Italo). Be gentle.

First up: both machines have an "uncompromised reverb" always available in every algo. Yes? So if i were to build a rig around 2 of these, i'm always "wasting" DSP on a reverb i wouldnt be using on one box...? Or is there some trickery here in using additional reverb to do nifty things with the other fx outside of traditional 'reverb"

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You are loosing a DSP, yes.
    Cascading reverbs is a nice studio technique. I'd say... skip it for now.

4. markiv2290

markiv2290 Member

Before buying my 80 I started a thread on HRI where I asked questions about routing. The manual is pretty good, but there were some intricacies in interpreting the manual, especially on the use of the Dual FX card, that Italo helped me with. If that can help you as well!

5. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

thread resurrection! I recall IdA asking what DSPs are in the MX400...I had one out today and cracked it open. Your Digitech comment is....well...spot on.

Dual AudioDNA chips....

6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Nice catch!!!
    Do you have some more specific data... like code/names of the chips?
    Thanks.

7. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

no - but next time i take it out i'll grab a photo of the pcb

8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I'm not even sure that is a DSP brand or a custom made chip for Digitech.

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

my friend whose h8000 I still have on loan has a Kemper rack with a mpx-1 and is very happy,

but last night we started to troubleshoot and dial in his main w/d/w Friedman BE100/mesa mark III guitar rack rig with the following stereo units:

tc 2290
    Yamaha spx2000
    eventide time factor
    strymon mobius

feeding a 295 power amp
    dry and wet cabs are all Marshall 4x12s

he has both a CAE and egnater 4 amp switcher and both are faulty!

of course most here would gasp incredulously about why he owns an h8000 but it isn't in his main rack--

answer: he wants it to live in his studio rack and is not a deep tweaker, so most of the programming and multiple effects combinations in it are beyond his desire to chase after as a guitarist. but given my cursory introduction to it now I can help him find most of what he needs for vocal and instrument processing options.

after last night I am excited about finding some chorusy/leslie settings to mate with his fender rhodes/vibroking rig! and he just scored the deal of a lifetime on components from a PA rig I highly suggested he jump on!