One color underneath another, in a nitro finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mvsr990, Feb 25, 2012.

1. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I've had the urge to build/finish my own guitar for a couple of years, I think I'm going to do it soon. I'm planning on a Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe body and Reranch Lake Placid Blue.

I've also had the idea of doing a color underneath, with the idea that it shows through as the guitar ages - something like plain black with the LPB on top. Curious if anyone has done that and if the undercoat does show through with wear?

Would I want to spray nitro sealer between the colors, or just black/LPB/sealer?

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

What color you choose because it will effect the color of your top coat. For example, if you put Black under LP Blue it will change the hue of your LP Blue to a darker subdued shade. if you put White under it, it will amplify the LP Blue.
    Rob

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I've done this to a build in process. Black over Fiesta Red. After the sealer, and undercoat/primer - Fiesta Red, undercoat/primer, black. All nitro. Allthough I'm not done with the accelerated aging, I kinda like it. I'll keep it mild.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. luxxtone

luxxtone Member

I actually love the look of the two color aged finish. Here's a couple we did. We also did a heavy aged black over fiesta red, and an olympic white over sunburst. Like Rhomco mentioned, certain colors need an exact color undercoat to work, like Lake Placid Blue. You can't put black under that because it's a metallic and it uses the undercoat color to achieve it's intended color. But other solid colors can easily be combined!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PhilF

PhilF Member

That guitar reminds me of a big jawbreaker after being enjoyed for a bit.