One Control Bjf Buffer Split - Urgent Info Please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Young Angus, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I just bought a One Control BJF Buffer Split pedal for the purposes of using to switch in and out a bunch of pedals that I don't use much...like a tuner/delay/reverb/phase...and really I just wanted a simple thing like the old MXR Loop Box, just a good true bypass switch, but this one got me excited because it has a BJF buffer in it but I don't know if I've bought something crap or not because I can't find any info at all on this thing ANYWHERE!!!

Should I keep it or return it for a simple true bypass one like the JHS or Keely ones? I don't know anything about it and the manual is in Japanese I think...HELP!

2. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I did see a discussion on BJF forums and Donner said that Bjorn did design the buffer and license it to One Control. He also said that One Control pedals were well made. Other than that, I don't know anything about it.

It sounds like you already have it. Does it work well?

tdump likes this.
  3. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Hmm I might have a look on the BJF forums, I couldn't find where that was before but if I know it's there that's better.

I already bought it but I never usually buy things in haste but this one I did, but I haven't tried it yet, I'm just really wanting info on it that's all. There are a couple of switches on it and one seems to be one to turn the buffer on or off but if I turn it off where does the signal go? Is it proper true bypass or does it go through the PCB still? If it goes through the PCB still one would think it still needs to be buffered somehow...I don't know, for all the unknowns though I was thinking maybe I should have just got a simple good true bypass looper for this purpose like the Keely or JHS one, no nonsense simple quality switching...plus I don't want it to buff too much so who knows what I'm doing yikes!!

4. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Can you link me to that forum post please I still can't find it?

5. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

http://www.bjfe.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4765 It's just about the buffer and whether or not Bjorn designed it. I would assume that it is true bypass if the buffer is off. There shouldn't be anything else on the PCB, unless it has some sort of relay switching. Buffers either buffer or they don't, there isn't really such a thing as buffering too much. The input impedance can make a difference in how it sounds. I'm sure a buffer designed by Bjorn will be very good.

Are any of the pedals before it or in the loop buffered?

6. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Hmm I might ask Donner if I can get in touch with him...there might be one Neunaber pedal in the loop that is buffered and I sometimes have a Baby Pink Booster on the board but not at the moment.

Like I said I just wanted a great quality switch to switch in and out the effects that I don't use too much, and I'm thinking maybe this buffer switch could be overkill and I want to make sure that if I decide to turn off the buffer then the bypass signal will be just as good as a good true bypass.

7. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I don't see how it could not be true bypass. Their other loop pedals are true bypass. There are 3 main types of bypass, True Bypass, Buffered Bypass and a bypass scheme that leaves part of the circuitry still connected (for instances, switches the output of the circuitry in and out but leaves the input connected). There really isn't any circuitry to leave connected in this type of pedal, other than the buffer. It would be possible to build a loop pedal that only switched the output of the loop, but that would kind of defeat the purpose and the pedal couldn't be used as an AB pedal if that were the case. If you only switched the input and not the output, it wouldn't work for selecting between two guitars. So, the Buffer Split must switch both input and output and with the buffer switched out, that should leave it true bypass.

Of course, since you have the pedal your best bet is to try it and see if it sounds better with the buffer and if it sounds as good as true bypass with the buffer off.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

...yes Bjorn designed it....yes its well made by One Control (I use their power distro on my test board)....but if you only ever use it in bypass without the buffer then it is just a loop.

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Thanks guys :)

Can anyone confirm that without the buffer engaged it would be simply a proper passive true bypass looper just like the Keeley alternative? I suppose I just need to unplug it and see if I still get a signal through it when bypassed right?

I tested it last night against a good true bypass pedal and honestly there was something missing when it went through this One Control pedal, and I noticed zero difference with the buffer on or off.

10. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Okay I just A/B 'd the One Control & the Keeley true bypass looper and plain and simple, One Control takes something away from the tone, Keeley sounded exactly the same going through it as going straight into to the amp...in my book that means the One Control is going back to the shop and the Keeley is coming home.

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Bit of a necrobump, but since there's not much info out there on these I thought I'd weigh in and say I've been using one for a while to switch between keys and guitar and haven't had any issues. Seems to work as advertised.

12. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

The buffer is nice, then?
    Thanks.

13. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

Now that's been resurrected, one last question: did you compared them both in non-buffered And buffered mode of the One Control?

14. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Wow that's a bit of an oldie...yep I sure did compare them both in the non-buffered mode and buffered mode. That was how I made my decision. My ears don't lie, unlike sales people :)

Javiceres likes this.
  15. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

I'm looking for a parallel mixer that won't break the bank but has a good buffer as well (specially to keep the treble) and One control seems to have solid offerings...

16. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

one control pedals are great. Quality built.

shredus likes this.
  17. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

I am not sure if it's the same buffer as in the BJFe.org forum project Cherry Buster (booster and buffer combo) but if it is, I think it's excellent. This is one pedal that always lives on my board. Great boost with an excellent buffer.

[​IMG]

18. Alex0928

Alex0928 Member

I think that Empress does the job, tuner independent, in/out and fx loop...