One Control Bjf-s66 Amp U.s. Tour Box Thread (completed)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Visual Guy, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

Tour Box Order - 7/26/19

1. @thiscalltoarms Reviewed
    2. @TravisE Reviewed
    3. @Smacky the Frog Reviewed
    4. @LeicaBossNJ Reviewed
    5. @Roccorobb Reviewed
    6. @Johndandry Reviewed
    7. @oansun Reviewed
    8. @ebenezer Reviewed
    9. @Whiskey N Beans
    10. @Glowing Tubes Reviewed
    _______________________________________​

Hello Fellow TGPers
    One Control wants to open an opportunity for some of us here in States the to try the new BJF-S66 Amp. This is a brand new release in 2019 packed with options and they want to know our thoughts.

What’s in the box?
    - BJF-S66 Amp
    - Power cable
    - FS-P3 Footswitch

*manual can be viewed or downloaded here: BJF-S66 Manual

Rules for the Tour Box:

1. Frequent TGP: A minimum of 500 posts on TGP is required to participate.
    2. Feedback: Participants must post a video or audio clip on this thread or write a detailed review of your experience with the amp.
    3. Shipping: Please pack well! Using ground or First Class is fine if/when applicable, however you will need to insure the package for $500.
    4. Time: Each participant can have 1 week to spend time with the amp.
    5. Communicate: Each participant will need to contact the next person on the list to obtain their mailing information and to confirm they would still like to be involved.
    6. Care: Goes without saying. Please take care of the equipment. Unlike pedals, this amp doesn’t live on the floor. Elevated things get bumped (or pushed by cats) into the floor. Please be cautious and proactive so it comes back safely, in like new condition.

**If for some reason you need extra time for any reason, please notify me. I need to know where the tourbox is at all times.

To be a Participant:

Send me a PM with the info below:
    - Name
    - Mailing Address (No PO Boxes unfortunately)
    - Email Address
    - Cell Phone #
    - Please include any black out weeks that you may have.

**This info is for me to help me stay organized and make contact outside of TGP if necessary in order to stay updated. I won’t share this with any other participants.

We are going to limit the participants to 15. In fairness, a first come; first serve approach is probably best. However, the order may change so that we can keep shipping costs and times down between stops. If more folks want to be included, I can keep your information for an alternate. We may possibly be able to extend it but we’ll play it by ear.

Disclosure: I've made lots of videos for One Control and have been able to keep most the gear that I've filmed in trade. I've no official association with the company. I have however, made a good friend in Bjorn Juhl through the process and when I was approached to manage this tour box, I was happy to help.

Looking forward to getting this started!

Cheers!
    Jacob

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    shredus and Soothsayer like this.
  2. Johndandry

Johndandry Supporting Member

3. mikey69

mikey69 Member

very cool offer ..it is a very nice looking and sounding amp, listened to a couple youtube vid's and was impressed, would love to try it but do not meet the requirements (not enough posts)..so here's a bump for ya

Visual Guy likes this.
  4. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

If you do an EU tour box I'm in!
    Bumping :bumpbump

shredus and Visual Guy like this.
  5. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I’m in!!!

Visual Guy likes this.
  6. CincyPlayer

CincyPlayer Member

Long time member, very rare poster... but, I followed our (VGuy) comment thread from your S66 YT demo(s) - to this GP thread. Alas, I can’t meet the tourbox criteria, but I am interested in opinions/comments/thoughts/clips folks may contribute . One thing I’d be particularly interested in seeing/hearing, is a setup comparing this amp to an old Deluxe Reverb, or Princeton. Apparent volume and EQ comparisons would be very useful. I’m interested in this one, but the Quilter 202 head is also on my radar. I have an Aviator 12 which is nice for jazz, but I just can’t dial out a certain SS effect on the tone... I digress - if the S66 is on par with my One Control pedals, it should “sound” and “feel” very good! Thx for starting this.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Visual Guy likes this.
  7. Visual Guy

Still room for more folks!

8. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

My TG-Peeps:

Greetings from planet Bobby D - I do indeed still exist in the virtual world, just don’t spend as much time on the gear fora as I used to. Something about working two jobs and gigging and being married kinda takes up a great deal of my time

Also, since I began working for One Control and Bjorn as a part time Artie Fufkin east coast promotions guy, I don’t want to post all the time like I am shilling our wares. Anyone who knows me knows I love all the gear. I do happen to have an inordinate amount of love for Bjorn Juhl and practically everything he has created - and after spending weeks with him personally, that love has only grown.

We decided to send out a demo unit in a tourbox because I really want people to check this amp out. Obviously there are some other very cool choices in the “small solid state head you can about fit in your pocket” category - and they are quite good. What about the BJF-S66 is different?

From my own perspective as someone who gigged with blackface supers many times over the years, as well as vibrolux and other vintage “American” voiced amps (lol) - I really feel that Bjorn has NAILED it with this amp. It sounds like you are playing thru a super cranked up to “6” and most importantly it FEELS like that amp, all hot and bothered at the blues gig, sweating like a politician on the witness stand, and getting spanked by some itinerant blues wanker. Bjorn has no limits with parts or design, so for him, solid state is just another way to achieve the sound he hears in his head.

One thing that has always impressed me about the Bjorn is that he does not worship mojo parts - he does not decide “well, I need to use these vintage plutonium space modulator parts, so how do I design an amp with THOSE?” - he simply does it in reverse. He takes the tone he hears in his head and designs a circuit and selects parts due to their functions and how they interact as a holistic whole. It’s a little different than how some designers do it.

The BJF-S66 has some very gig-worthy features - a single analog signal path that has a well-voiced EQ and two presettable rhythm and lead channels, along with a beautiful Bjorn designed digital reverb with independent settings for each channel (swampy Verb on your cleaner channel and a tighter verb on your solo?) and also a syrupy brownfaced style tremolo circuit that gets harmonic and warbly as well as choppy when requested.

This amp will give you the sights, the sounds, the smells of that old ‘66 blackface super you don’t want to lug to the gig. And the lead channel has a nice “bark” to it that approaches a more UK voicing.

But enough from me. Honestly, I was sure it would be good, but I didn’t know how good until I got to play through it.

I will be monitoring the thread and contributing. Anyone who has questions or inquiries about the amp or One Control in general is welcome to PM me. My responsibilities are to help with artist relations and promotion in the USA, and that’s my full disclosure. I talked extensively with Bjorn about whether to post or not on my favorite gear hangs like this, and he encouraged me to continue engaging with the forum, just with full honesty and transparency. So there you have it.

10. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

11. Visual Guy

Thanks for that Bobby D. I'm sure people will need answers here and I'll just be asking Bjorn or you for them! Haha I too am a big fan of all of his designs, One Control and beyond. Looking forward to seeing what people think!

12. General_Tso

General_Tso Member

I ‘ve owned one for about a week. I took a Blackstar 2x12 cab and put in the Eminence George Alessandro speakers after hearing the amp was designed backwards from them.

I’m still getting to know it, but like it so far. I used to have a 68 DRRI and loved the sound, but not the volume cranked up at home. It surprises me this amp hasn’t had more press and attention.

shredus, Soothsayer and Visual Guy like this.
  13. Visual Guy

That is awesome man! Please keep us informed here even though you aren't in the tourbox list. The BJFE thread may be interested too!

Here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/bjfe-thread.1898381/

14. General_Tso

General_Tso Member

I made a couple of videos, but I used a boom mic on my camera instead of properly mic’ing the cab. If anyone is interested the links are below. My playing isn’t pro level gear demo stuff, just noodling around. I can to properly add an SM57 when I get back from vacation this weekend.

I also plan to hook it up to my Helix to try it with different cabinet simulations to see if there was anything that sounded nice.

15. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I plan on buying one as I'm done with heavy-ass & bulky amps. It gets old lugging them back & forth on rehearsals or gigs. Yes I still need a speaker cab but a 1x12 cab is only 25lbs not 55. Big difference.

My question is.. is the fx loop buffered?

I see there's a preamp output. Is that at the same point in the circuit as the fx send? Or is that preamp out after the entire fx loop?

Visual Guy likes this.
  16. Visual Guy

I don't see anything about the FX loop being buffered, but I hope this helps some for you.

From the manual:

"The FX loop (wired in series) allows for EQ, time/delay and other effects to be positioned after the distortion stage of the preamp. The FX loop is positioned after the Master Volumes, which allows the SEND to be used as a Preamp Out for amp slaving or connecting to a recording console. Likewise, the RETURN can be used for amp slaving from another amp.

Preamp out is a post-master volume signal. Can be used to feed recording gear, effects processors, or power amp input on another amp, making use of the BJF-S66's controls"

shredus likes this.
  17. General_Tso

General_Tso Member

You got a manual?! Mine didn’t come with one. Is it online?

18. Visual Guy

The amp doesn't come with one, but Bjorn provided it to me via PDF. I'm sure there will be a downloaded version soon.

General_Tso likes this.
  19. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

PM-ed. Hope I'm not too late. Sure any of the BJF forum dudes will vouch for me if necessary [HEY BOBBY!! Glad to see you're on the thread!].

shredus and Bobby D like this.
  20. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

You work with One Control now? Any chance can give me two paragraphs on the One Control screamer vs the LGW?

Visual Guy likes this.