One Control Bjf-s66 Amp U.s. Tour Box Thread (completed)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Visual Guy, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

2. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

awesome man! Let me know when it arrives and I’ll start the timer! Can’t wait!

3. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

So - s66 arrived safe and sound. Can’t play it tonight and probably not until tomorrow evening but I’ll do a brief write up over the weekend, try and record it Weds and send it along. It’s Soooo small. Must fight urge to buy one now.

Bobby D and Visual Guy like this.
  4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

Put me down for that please!
    Richard

Bobby D, ebenezer and Visual Guy like this.
  5. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

So I figure now is as good a time as any to throw down my thoughts on the S66. I was hoping to do it while at the same time sharing my video, but I’m out in the desert exercising my 2nd Amendment right so I can’t upload it right now. I will get it up once I am home but I feel I’ve already waited too long to put down my thoughts.

To start things off I only messed with stuff that I myself would use the amp for. So I didn’t mess with the FX loop at all. I mainly play a little in the cleaner side at my church, but still with some hair and then all out classic rock crunch with my band. So that we’re I’m coming from.

first off I was impressed with the cleans and how clean the actual clean channel stayed. Even with humbuckers the clean channel stayed clean almost all the way up on the volume knob. I’d say it started to get a bit of hair on it at 8 on the volume knob with the gain knob at 8-10. I LOVED the gain channel. I could get some amazing sounding classic rock to heard rock sounds using that channel.

I really liked the tremolo but found it odd that the teen was sooo sensitive. The trem was very subtle up to a certain point and then it came on VERY strong. It didn’t sound bad it was just a bit odd. But to be fair I have noticed this in general about other trem pedals.

I really liked the Reverb and am such a bit fan of the pedal controller they came with the amp. It made the amp soooo versatile. The balance between the clean and dirty channel is perfectly voiced. The duty channel was louder, but appropriately so.

My one grip about the amp is there is no master volume. It appears to have one but I didn’t find it to work like a normal master volume. The gain channel, especially for the clean channel doesn’t seem to add much gain but thickened things up with a tiny bit of hair. The amp in general worked more like my tube amp in that if you wanted more gain you just had to turn things up. I think a well placed typical master volume would greatly improve the usability of this amp. Anyway those are my thoughts, I hope it was helpful. I am really a big fan of this amp and the sound and most of all the feel is right there. I will upload the video as soon as I get the chance.

6. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Here's the video I made of the S-66. Of course it goes without saying that the amp sounded much better in person than the sounds in the recording. But it gives a good "idea" of what it sounds like.

7. Visual Guy

NICE MAN!!! Thanks for making some content and the great review!

CincyPlayer and ebenezer like this.
  8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

9. CincyPlayer

CincyPlayer Member

Enjoyed Ebenezer’s review. I can “imagine” the volume level in the room, having played mine at that level. It is surprisingly loud. Nice run thru :aok.

If anyone purchased a S66 (or S100), you’ll probably not want to carry it around (ie, gigs, rehearsals, etc) without protection. I thought I’d share a quick clip of a solution I came up with that allows me to combine the S66 and a small pedal board into my carry case. Here’s the comment text from the clip, and a link. Maybe not a perfect or high dollar solution, but it works well and protects the gear, and is affordable!

“I saw that there is a nice soft case now available for the new One Control S66 amp. I thought I’d share the transport solution I came up with for my smaller pedal board and the amp (I did this before the soft case came out). Anyway, this clip is a quick 1 min - cut for Instagram, but shows my packing process.

I can fit ... S66 (in its own case, which could be carried separately if desired), amp foot switch and cable, amp power supply cable, extra patch cables, Barber BarbEQ pre amp pedal, pedal board with ISO 5 PS, (3 OC mini pedals, Wampler mini reverb, and Carbon Copy mini, Polytune mini, and foam packing inserts... into a $30 “tool case” I picked up at Menards (which includes strap, interior partitions and the foam - which has small pre-cut cubes you can pinch out to form-fit around contents). Side Note: I have four of these cases that each have “unique” pedal configurations, that are grab-n-go ready - and, they’ve worked well.

Total packed weight is 18.5 lbs. I can take my guitar, shoulder bag (which holds vol pedal/extension chord/etc), small 1x12 speaker cab and this S66/pedal case from car to gig in one trip. If it’s a long walk, I have a little foldable two wheeler it all fits onto with bungies. Very tidy, and secure. Yes, there are more tour and road worthy cases and rigs, but not for $30! So far so good!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    ebenezer, Bobby D and Visual Guy like this.
  10. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I miss Menards :D great idea Cincy, I have just been sticking mine into the top of my Access gig bag that carries my cables and accessories. Love the mini rig board too!

CincyPlayer likes this.
  11. CincyPlayer

CincyPlayer Member

Bobby D - That little board is just the essentials. What’s nice is, utilizing the top of the PS for two pedals. I’m trying to find a “good” rotary pedal in a mini form factor. No luck for my taste thus far. I wish One Control made a nice one (hint hint)! Cheers!

12. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

In part of the tourbox, I was able to use the BFJ-S66 in a home setting and a band setting. So I was able to get a real sense of what it can do. I should start by saying I had to revise parts of my review as I had many video and audio clips that were part of a hard drive failure a little bit back and I cannot recover them.

I started by opening the box and immediately plugging straight into my Morgan 112 with a Creamback 75. The clean sounds were about where you would expect a solid state portable amp to be, solid but with a surprising amount of character. I had to lean heavy on Treble control as the amp very much favored the high end in my tests. From a pedal company this thing has to be a pedal platform, right? So I plug in the board and go right into it, my main drive sound is from a Friedman Fuzz Fiend (a beautiful tube fuzz that can go in so many directions) and I had never heard that pedal get so buzzy, so I went straight for the Treble to tame that fizz. It worked and everything was working well, Bass and Mid at 12, Treble at 10 but a ton of high end coming through (surprising). Delays all running properly with no discernible headroom issues (Supro, Memory Man, and a Korg SDD-3000), my Analogman Envelope Filter sounded strange, how ever. It really hit the high frequencies earlier than normal (through tube amps) so I had to turn the emphasis knob way low. I was pretty comfortable with the set up and my board so I went about an hour doing my normal rehearsal for my band’s songs. Sounded cool, not exactly a Jazz Chorus thing but a cool sound. Was impressed, it’s great for practice stuff and getting awesome feedback. To get some harmonics going you really need a solid AIAB or a tube drive, just fyi.

Next I tested the reverbs and drives and trem on the amp. The foot switch looks awesome, and very compact unlike so many unwieldy amp controllers. Big fan. SDD-3000 in the loop to test that and I’m off. The headroom in the loop: not so great, you’re going to want a delay with just a spin chip in it to sound like you’d want imho. The SDD-3000 had some crunchy delay lines and I was constantly adjusting to get it right. Mind you, I’m kind of insane so this likely won’t affect most people, but it’s worth noting. Tremolo sounds very nice and smooth and you can get it sounding as Smiths as you’d desire. The reverb was a bit less impressive seeing as how I love Mad Professor’s Silver Spring and One Control’s Prussian, this one was kind of flat. But serves a general purpose to just fill out your sound if you need it (I do not play with reverb always on, just for specific parts, I do not need it). So the combo of trem and reverb sounds GREAT when cranked. A great specific sound and you can get the controller to make that magic happen. Given the 2 different sets of reverb control, you can really do some wild stuff if you set both channels relatively clean. Awesome addition, love having 2 different reverbs. The Drive sounds were fine. You could get some cool crunch and sometimes inspiring but overall thin. It’s not the reason I would personally use the amp but it’s very serviceable in a pinch (IE backline hassles). I used the Preamp out into a power amp (Power Station) and I was really working the EQ to get it about where I liked. This is not the kind of amp where you set the tone controls at 12 and go, you really have to tailor it. And that’s cool, I’m into that diversity. Overall, for home use, the amp’s drive works pretty well and you can use the guitar’s volume.

For a band situation: played with a very loud drummer into a Marshall 4x12 with V30’s (not my favorite speaker but that’s what is at the practice space. I brought my big board, and also my Boss ME-5 so I could report how Boss pedals sound as they are by far the top pedal choice. The amp unfortunately struggled to keep up (Weezer cover gig practice). So if you’re playing with a drummer with a heavy hand: keep that in mind. The ME-5 sounded awesome, of course because it’s an incredible machine. The delays sounded crisp into the amp, and the drives RULED. It gets heavy. Another guitarist was playing through an old Peavy Bandit 112 and we were about the same volume. The BJF sounded more rounded, and fendery. My board wasn’t sounding hot through it (for my tastes, and I didn’t want to hold up practice just to get MAH TONEZ) and the 412 so I just stuck with the Boss. Around the end of practice I turned on the gain and used the internal reverb. It was cool but I just left it on Lead and had to boost (Karma Boost I had laying around) to get the Weezer sound for at least 2 songs (The World Has Gone…and You Gave Your Love….) as I didn’t need much clean for those (I just rolled the Volume back for the acoustic parts). Couldn’t really get a volume boost because I was cranked so high, but it was just practice so whatever. . All worked perfectly, but it’s not a sound I would personally rely on. But the volume just wasn’t cutting it for this practice (it was cranked and hard to get clean without compression).

So I definitely recommend this for home use and as a backline bypass (going direct to power amps works well and is super compact). But I wouldn’t rely on this guy to use in a band without a mic. You really need to take time to get your specific tone. The reverb’s are fine overall, and its awesome to have 2 settings, but I wouldn’t expect a Surf sound. Tremolo is great and the best effect on the amp. Easy to integrate the amp controls into a pedalboard setting (with a one control switcher of course or any switcher, but also the included control is small enough to fit any board). At $600 its in similar price to a lot of tube amps at lower wattage, I’d say a Tiny Terror is about the same volume into the 16ohm speakers most of us use. But the preamp out to another power amp is a great thing to keep around for tough backline situations, and gets quiet enough to use as a practice amp. You can really integrate amp controls into a board situation if you’re into that so that’s a major plus. It’s not a definite recommend, but an excellent backup situation. I enjoyed my time with it, and it looks great. Thanks everyone!

13. CincyPlayer

CincyPlayer Member

Oansun- great write up and observations :aok. I particularly agree with this comment...
    ... If I interpret that correctly, I find that to be true as well (I always use a Kingsley MaidenD or BarbEQ with my S66).

Nice write up!

oansun and Visual Guy like this.
  14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Thank you Oansun! Great write up and feedback!!!

CincyPlayer and Visual Guy like this.
  15. Visual Guy

An update on the Box. @Glowing Tubes is the last participant and has the box right now, but part of the power cable didn't get shipped with the package. So it is safely weighing down some paper while we are waiting for it to arrive to him.

This actually is something I wish was different about the S66, although it is far from a deal breaker. The specific power cable for the S66 is fine, until you mistakenly forget it at the house. I don't know about everyone else, but I have 3 normal power cables in my bag I have accumulated. Not being able to use one of those to power the S66 is one of the only negatives I have found about the amp. That would have solved this issue as well, as I'm sure Glowing Tubes has a normal cable he could use in place of the missing portion of the cable. I don't know what it would entail and I'm sure it requires an entire redesign of the back panel, which probably isn't logical. Something for OC to consider down the road on other amps though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  16. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

Agree 100%. I actually had all that in place thinking the amp was powered with a standard cable. Probably wouldn't hurt to buy an extra of that cable to keep in your guitar case or something like that. :)

CincyPlayer and Bobby D like this.
  17. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Hey Gang,

I've just dropped in to say how impressed I am by what I'm hearing about & listening to the OC BJF-S66; when I stumbled upon some demo videos of the amp I wasn't actually paying much attention to the footage, just listening to it & I remember thinking "wow, what a nicely sounding blackface Fender!". I immediately dismissed the idea of watching more videos that day, as another tube amp is the last thing I need. Then - out of curiosity & some days later - I went to see some tech details about it on the OC website... and then it struck me - "that's a solid-state amp!". All I can say is that I am floored. What a stellar job of an amp it sounds glorious!

UPDATE: I've decided to publish a YT list that contains all the reviews & valuable insight into the BJF-S66. I hope someone might find it useful to have all the essential videos showcasing how wonderful this amps sounds. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Bobby D, Visual Guy and CincyPlayer like this.
  18. Visual Guy

Thanks so much @mmmaslowski. We have some more reviews and content coming and there is also an S100 amp in the works, set to be released winter NAMM. Cheers!

Bobby D and mmmaslowski like this.
  19. Visual Guy

Just an update about the tourbox to everyone. The cable issue has been resolved and we are in business! For anyone who is interested, the amps 24v plug can be powered by most "2 prong, power cords" that would work on printers, laptops, etc. So amp users may want to have a couple of those on hand in spare bags and all. If you are ever in a pinch, check your printer! :)

Bobby D and mmmaslowski like this.
  20. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

You are most welcome; I don't recall seeing anything like the OC BJF-S66, so to me all the praise is more than warranted; I am more than interested. Speaking of the the S100 - is that the new Plexi-style head? Oh, my...!

Lastly, a question about the PrimoFX LLC (https://www.primofxllc.com/) - has anyone had any experience with them shipping internationally? I live in Canada, and wouldn't mind buying directly from the source :)

Thanks & all the best!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    CincyPlayer and Bobby D like this.