One control V Bearfoot honeybee

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Anyone have/had the pair and is able to compare and say which pedal is the closest to the original BJFE HB OD?

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Is it not the case that the BJFE guy fell out with Bearfoot and they don't actually make the HB pedals there anymore? or something like that

4. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Yes the partnership between Bearfoot and Björn Juhl (BJFe) ended some time ago. I think they do still make their version of the HB but I'm not sure.

Anyway I've owned the Bearfoot HB twice and tried both the OC and BJFe versions. I like them all but I would definitely go for the OC version if I was shopping for a new HB. It's voiced beautifully and the modern/vintage switch is great. Which one is closest to the BJFe is hard to say because he's tweaked it slightly over the years (hence the vintage/modern switch on the OC). But my money again is on the OC, he worked hard on that one.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    ciclosonico likes this.
  5. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I have only tried the Bearfoot and BJFE versions. Both are very good and very similar. I’d be surprised if the OC wasnt similar as well.

There was a falling out but Bearfoot still make the HB so there are 3 options currently.

Don Rusk likes this.
  6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Yes we still make the BearFoot Honey Bee OD and others the same as always. It is a little different than the other versions and Bearfoot is handmade in the USA. It's good to have options.

7. Don Rusk

Perhaps the misunderstanding is because I have gone back to being a 'boutique' builder - small handmade in the US batches - Now I only sell direct on Reverb and prices are a good deal lower because of it. hope that helps.

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I have had the privilege of owning a great many Bearfoot pedals (still own several), a One Control Baby Blue (sold), and also participating in Tourboxes for both One Control (Minis) and Bearfoot (tried most all of the line).

These experiences suggest that the Bearfoot dirt boxes (drive and fuzz) are more toneful and have better feel vs. the One Control offerings.

The Bearfoot pedals are typically very good to excellent depending on offering - very toneful and lots of feel.

The One Control dirt pedals are good (most of the Minis) to very good (Baby Blue) depending on offering. They didn't afford much from a feel perspective though.

I do find the One Control Blender pedals to be truly excellent and really, really like them (own a big box and a mini).

Question: is the new One Control compressor digital? The ad copy for the pedal suggests that it's "intelligent."

JumpinBradFlash and Don Rusk like this.
  9. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Have to say I recently purchased the Bearfoot Honey Bee & was super impressed & went straight on my board (replacing the Benson Preamp).
    Bought a BJFE Honey Bee back around 2007 & have to say wasn't impressed & didn't get what all the hype was about on this pedal. But was interested in trying again & as I already have a Bearfoot Dyna Red (have owned the BJF version too) & Bearfoot Artic White Fuzz which are fantastic thought I'd try the Honey Bee again. So I bought the Honey Bee at the end of 2019 & wow from not liking the BJFE version way back when I absolutely love the Bearfoot Honey Bee!!
    Have to say the same for the Dyna Red - I actually really liked the BJFE Dyna Red but do prefer the 4 knob Bearfoot Dyna Red more.

10. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I’ve had a few versions of Honey Bee’s over the years..... BJFE and Bearfoot. Never tried the OC. My experience with OC pedals was pretty similar to @Flatscan. A mate of mine was buying quite a few and kept lending them to me. They’re OK but not particularly dynamic and no one wants OK tones right?

I recently grabbed another Bearfoot HB for a good price to see if it would be good for adding some gain back when i have to play at lower volumes. It sounds great with tweed style amps. So of course I had to satisfy my curiosity and confirm whether the BJFE version was better. At one point i was running them both on separate boards and both sound great. But when it came time to choose between one i spent a good 90 min or so comparing them both my amps with all of my guitars and to my surprise the Bearfoot came out on top. There wasnt a lot of difference...... the BJFE had more gain on tap but way more than I need. The Bearfoot was a bit more articulate when playing chords especially and I expect it will sit in the mix at our next jam session.

I believe @CrustyHarp had a similar experience with his BJFE and Bearfoot Honey Bee’s as well.

Of course there’s More variance in the BJFE as Bjorn has tweaked the design a little over the years and possibly tweaked individual pedals for customers requirements. The beauty of the Bearfoot is you know what u are gonna as they are all built to the same specs.

Both are great pedals and I’m really glad I revisited this pedal.

Matts Tone and Flatscan like this.
  11. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've owned a few of the BJFe and Bearfoot versions of the HBOD and the DRD. Still have the BJFe versions. The only OC pedal I've tried so far was a Purple Humper and it was just a gateway to getting a BJFe PH. The two were almost identical but I prefer some of the less tangible aspects of the BJFe line. I also really dig the aesthetic.

12. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks for this good to read, funnily enough I will shortly be getting a tweed amp in the coming weeks as have incoming a Victoria Ivy League so would be interested to hear the Honey Bee through it.

With regards to the BJFE Honey Bee I owned way back when it could have been something that I wasn't into at that time but just recall when using it my amp sounded much smaller / boxier like someone had put a blanket over my amp, where as the Bearfoot Honey Bee sounded gritty & articulate & did not get the boxiness at all!!

What I would say is the BJFE Pine Green Comp I did own was fantastic probably the best Compressor I've played but the Bearfoot PGC V4 does give it a run for its money!

Also the BJFE Dyna Red I thought was excellent but have to say do prefer the tones & tweak ability of the Bearfoot 4K Dyna Red more!

I'm super glad I've tried the Honey Bee again as didn't get that pedal at all but thanks to Bearfoot I now do :cool:!

13. Don Rusk

Yes overall the Bearfoot versions are a little more open, American, handmade sounding in EQ and feel than their predecessors ... and usually when you mass produce something there is extra filtering added for consistancy in production that gives a sameness. (I cant talk about competitors by name so you'll have to read between the lines...)

ciclosonico likes this.