1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

ONE dead note?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Phil M, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

I picked up a used 2004 R7 over the weekend. I had one once before and it was an 'OK' guitar, but this one really rings like a bell and plays a lot nicer. The price was halfway decent and I was able to play it in person so I snagged it.

I played the guitar for two days straight and finally noticed something. The 'G' octave on the low E string (15th fret) is dead. It just kind of makes a metallic plinky sound on that one note. I must rarely play that particular fret, but it caused me some concern so I checked every other note and the rest were fine. The ones on either side of it buzz a little but they're OK.

Do I need a fret filed? Could this be a bigger issue? Neck appears straight, but I'm no expert.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Stupid question, but you've found this to be the case after a string change?

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I hadn't thought of that. I just changed the string but it's still doing it.

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The fret may have popped up a little on the bass side due to changes in humidity. You can bring it to a luthier to hammer in back down or have him dress that side of that fret to solve the problem.

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

Thank you guys.