1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ONE dead note?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Phil M, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

I picked up a used 2004 R7 over the weekend. I had one once before and it was an 'OK' guitar, but this one really rings like a bell and plays a lot nicer. The price was halfway decent and I was able to play it in person so I snagged it.

I played the guitar for two days straight and finally noticed something. The 'G' octave on the low E string (15th fret) is dead. It just kind of makes a metallic plinky sound on that one note. I must rarely play that particular fret, but it caused me some concern so I checked every other note and the rest were fine. The ones on either side of it buzz a little but they're OK.

Do I need a fret filed? Could this be a bigger issue? Neck appears straight, but I'm no expert.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Stupid question, but you've found this to be the case after a string change?

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I hadn't thought of that. I just changed the string but it's still doing it.

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The fret may have popped up a little on the bass side due to changes in humidity. You can bring it to a luthier to hammer in back down or have him dress that side of that fret to solve the problem.

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

Thank you guys.