• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

One Delay To Rule Them All

iamthearm

Okay. I've been a multiple delay user for a good amount of time primarily because the DE7 is so hard to replicate. I've been running an El Cap w/favorite and a DE7 for quite some time. I'd like to replace them both with one pedal. Tap tempo is nice but not a deal breaker. Quick adjustments from medium delays to slapback is a plus. I love the functionality of the El Cap but I don't love the sound. It's too thin and when the repeats become almost thick enough the dry signal loses strength. I want one pedal only that will meet these criteria well enough.

Pedals I'm considering but not limited to:
Nemesis
Vintage DMM
Empress VM Superdelay
H9/Timefactor
Chase Bliss Tonal Recall
Skreddy Echo

I never used to like delay...

This year I've been on a delay kick and now have... several.

I keep coming back to my Diamond ML2 the most; a certain sweetness and bloom above the rest.

ALSO, the Fuchs Replay... even though apparently I'm the only person who's ever played/owned one... this is one of those pedals where people (me) say you have to play it to hear what it does to your tone, and that's actually true and amazing.

The Tonal Recall also kicks major ass.

I'll be picking up the Xvive W3 soon because all the cool kids like them.

Jules-RM

Nemesis. I haven't dialed in a DE7 (I don't have one anymore, gave it away), but just about everything else is at least a good approximation.

One thing it doesn't have is reverb, like on the El Cap. So if you used the reverb a lot, you'll need to replace that.

leighianson

Seriously check out the Free the Tone Flight Time, its a wonderful sounding unit and with the high and low pass filters you can really tailor the repeats.

S. S. Bender

[QUOTE="flyingmusicman, post: 23224643, member: 179209]I keep coming back to my Diamond ML2 the most; a certain sweetness and bloom above the rest.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I like best about my ML2!

Morgancograve

I've had quite a few nice delays but currently am really enjoying the Empress Superdelay.

Super easy to use, all features on a knob or switch, definitely consider this.

ummohyeah

I'm a big fan of the DE7 as well. I've had three. I ran an Ibanez DE7 with an Endangered Audio AD4096 for some time, and also a Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude. I replaced it all with an EarthQuaker Disaster Transport Sr. Two delays, in parallel, with a very lo-fi, tape echo vibe going on. Reverb, modulation, tails -- everything I wanted. If you dial it in right, it can do the endless runaway repeats without oscillation that pedals like the Skreddy Echo and DE7 do so well. It's not on your list but I think you should check it out.

Moderato

my 2 cents:
best delay that does everything from very good to great and for the gigging player: AD999
best delay for modulation and complex tones: vintage DMM big box (not a fan of its dry signal btw)
best delay for multihead tape tone and almost on par with AD999 as all rounder : AD4096

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
Memory Lane or Empress VMSD are great
if you want good tone, the Skreddy Echo is fantastic too. As is the Subdecay Echobox.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
For my money, Nemesis. I bought mine for reasons very similar to your search and have been very pleased. I also like that it can be controlled by midi, but it doesn't have to. The user interface is - IMO - the best in the business and allows me to keep 8 presets easily accessible from the pedal alone without midi.

7thString

What makes the el cap sound thin? Can this not be dialed out with the various secondary functions, ie by removing highs / tweaking the low cut? (I ask because I've been thinking about picking one up lately, for the third time lol)

iamthearm

What makes the el cap sound thin? Can this not be dialed out with the various secondary functions, ie by removing highs / tweaking the low cut? (I ask because I've been thinking about picking one up lately, for the third time lol)
I've spent a fair amount of time at home and tweaked the secondary functions etc. It doesn't sound BAD, just not great. Same issue I had with the Blue Sky just not as bad. Functionally it's an incredible pedal but i just find the repeats to be somewhat sterile and thin no matter what I do and at the end of the day I want beautiful sounding repeats over bells and whistles. Which leads me to think the Skreddy might be my best option. I love simple functionality on pedals and being able to adjust on the fly. Y'all got me curious about that MLJr though.

tremolo3

beautiful sounding repeats over bells and whistles
Tap tempo is nice but not a deal breaker. Quick adjustments from medium delays to slapback is a plus.
Eventide's Vintage Delay, so H9 or Timefactor.

I haven't compared El Capistan next to the Timefactor but I prefer Timefactor's Tape over Timeline for this very reason:

i just find the repeats to be somewhat sterile and thin no matter what I do
And the reason I couldn't keep any Strymon.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom