• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

ONE drive pedal with a blackface Fender?

lcfparty35

Since some folks are relentless about the RAT thing, let me just say that I got a new one a month or two ago and I play through a PRRI. The thing is great for punk rock and hair metal, which I only occasionally feel like playing; with the distortion down, it sounds like straight a$$, like my clean tone mixed with someone peelng velcro, the weird crackle-fizz sound on top of my tone. Unusable. So, you know, maybe it wouldn't be the best single drive for some of us, but whatever.

Ryno1331

Since some folks are relentless about the RAT thing, let me just say that I got a new one a month or two ago and I play through a PRRI. The thing is great for punk rock and hair metal, which I only occasionally feel like playing; with the distortion down, it sounds like straight a$$, like my clean tone mixed with someone peelng velcro, the weird crackle-fizz sound on top of my tone. Unusable. So, you know, maybe it wouldn't be the best single drive for some of us, but whatever.
Agreed.

Trolley Car

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting that a D style pedal colors less than a Timmy@
That’s exactly what I thought when I was, for a few hours, switching back and forth between the Timmy and Simble. The best way I can describe the difference is that the more I upped the bass and treble on the Timmy, the more pure amp tone I lost; however, when I manipulated the Accent and Sensitivity controls on the Simble I had a more natural amp sound, especially when I fine tuned the Contour knob on the Simble. From what I had read, I figured the Timmy would be the less intrusive pedal. Lo and behold, my ears convinced me the less intrusive overdrive pedal is the Simble

Ryno1331

That’s exactly what I thought when I was, for a few hours, switching back and forth between the Timmy and Simble. The best way I can describe the difference is that the more I upped the bass and treble on the Timmy, the more pure amp tone I lost; however, when I manipulated the Accent and Sensitivity controls on the Simble I had a more natural amp sound, especially when I fine tuned the Contour knob on the Simble. From what I had read, I figured the Timmy would be the less intrusive pedal. Lo and behold, my ears convinced me the less intrusive overdrive pedal is the Simble
Sure, using them and your ears will tell the truth. I really like my zen drive. I've never gotten to try a simble but have read great things about them.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Since some folks are relentless about the RAT thing, let me just say that I got a new one a month or two ago and I play through a PRRI....with the distortion down, it sounds like straight a$$, like my clean tone mixed with someone peelng velcro, the weird crackle-fizz sound on top of my tone. Unusable.
Wow - sounds like something else is wrong, TBH... because low gain drive is one of the best things a RAT does. The key is to turn the Filter knob UP as you turn the Distortion knob down. If you keep the Filter around, say, Noon - with the drive at around 9 o’clock, then yeah... it’ll sound pretty crappy

I gigged for years with a RAT as my “always on” pedal... drive around 9:30 - 10 o’clock, and Filter around 3-4 o'clock, and it was fantastic with just about any amp. Including BF-style Fenders.

Wyatt Martin

Exact same experience here. I finally succumbed to the Rat hype and bought a new one back in September. Full on distortion I will agree sounded the best with my Twin Reverb Reissue. However I'm not a full on distortion user and tried to dial it down to lower edge of break up sounds and the pedal had so much fuzzy undertones it was like you say "unusable". The noise couldn't be dialed out. I had it a week before returning it and returning pedals isn't anything I do on a regular basis, twice in 33 years of playing.

Wow - sounds like something else is wrong, TBH... because low gain drive is one of the best things a RAT does. The key is to turn the Filter knob UP as you turn the Distortion knob down. If you keep the Filter around, say, Noon - with the drive at around 9 o’clock, then yeah... it’ll sound pretty crappy

I gigged for years with a RAT as my “always on” pedal... drive around 9:30 - 10 o’clock, and Filter around 3-4 o'clock, and it was fantastic with just about any amp. Including BF-style Fenders.
I'm guessing the new ones just aren't the same. Stories like yours is what prompted me to get a Rat but there was no way I could use mine with the settings you mentioned. I wished it could but it didn't...

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
I'm guessing the new ones just aren't the same. Stories like yours is what prompted me to get a Rat but there was no way I could use mine with the settings you mentioned.
Hmm... could very well be - there’s definitely a certain sweetness and naturalness to the older ones

jpurcell

I've been gigging an 82' WF Rat with my BF Deluxe for years. It's without a doubt my favorite od/distortion pedal.

I always run the Gain similar to GenoVox. 9:30 to 10:00 and the Filter usually closer to 5:00. That's with a Tele. On the rare occasion I use a 335 I'll raise the Filter to between 3:00 and 4:00.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
I always run the Gain similar to GenoVox. 9:30 to 10:00 and the Filter usually closer to 5:00. That's with a Tele. On the rare occasion I use a 335 I'll raise the Filter to between 3:00 and 4:00.
Yep, yep & yep

lcfparty35

Certainly worth a try to mess more with the filter though I keep it up pretty high as the thing is really bright in my rig regardless. I'm happy with it insofar as, if my old hardcore punk band ever gets back together it would be perfect with my old HRD (the big iron Mesa amp I used to have was major overkill), but I don't think it's gonna make the overdrive cut. Right now I've got a Barbershop, Archer, and Looking Glass covering all the low gain stuff I could want. But it always changes.

I think the other guy who responded to you re: old vs new rats was probably right; I got sold on a DRV pedal at a shop because it did low gain pretty well, though I ended up selling it to fund the Barbershop I simply wanted more, but this new Rat 2 in my experimenting so far sounds bad through my PRRI for low gain. But it's fun for higher gain and I didn't mean to insult it's diehards so much as to say that you see that in every OD thread, that "a RAT is all you need," and that's far from true in my experience, was my point. The new Rat I have was certainly worth the reasonable price I paid.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom