One electric, one acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by schitzkaput, Jul 12, 2015.

1. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

For me, I'd go with a Martin D-15M and an American Standard Strat. They're both versatile enough for me to cover most of my tonal bases.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

If you play music for income, it is not advisable to pare down to fewer than 2 of each in the event that one needs more tech work than a same day repair. Fret dressing on the acoustic, nut replacement on an electric... You get my point.

I am down to an Epi DOT and Tele with Bigsby for electrics and I have my Taylor 410e and can use my wife's Blueridge as a backup acoustic if needed.
    Same strategy for amps... Gig amp and gig worthy practice amp.

3. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

If I'm answering right now, the electric would have to be a 3 P90 with a Bigsby. Solid or semi-hollow, I'm not picky. I had a 3 P90 Reverend NAAM guitar I wish I hadn't sold, but no Bigsby. Great sound variations with the 5 way switch.

As far as an acoustic, if pushed, I'd have to go with my 1972 Martin D28-S. 12 fret, slope shoulder, cutout headstock and wider neck. The sound after 43 years is what an acoustic player dreams of.

4. jo2012

jo2012 Member

ES-345 and a Taylor 710ce

5. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

2 Guitars :bonk
    ( Crazy Talk )

Okay I'll play :dude

Gibson Hummingbird Pro Cutaway

[​IMG]

This Strat and that Amp while where at it :aok

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  6. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

I reject the nonsense that is "only 1 electric," but if I had to (and leaving aside that I will NEVER sell my EJ Strat unless it's down to my kids starving if I don't), I'd say a Les Paul and a J-45.

7. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

OK, pretentious rant time!

I'd take a Jazzmaster and a tricone resonator.

I like weaving textures and exploring spaces when I play music.

And acoustic guitar for me is an 'eyes closed' kinda bag. Or dark room. I'm not looking at the fretboard wondering which mode I'm out to play next - it's more about the rhythmic and tactile elements. I like the whole plethora of tones you can get out of an acoustic guitar by picking in different places, with fingers or a pick, to put certain notes or elements to foreground or background in a composition. I like using droned bass / mid strings under sort of muted arpeggios, and like to gradually transpose between different progressions with a good bit of dissonant tension and release. Nothing does this better than a tricone, with its built in reverberation that gives your notes that long decaying tail.

The Jazzmaster because I like what the bridge arrangement does with sympathetic resonance. Playing in a different key sounds more different on a jazzmaster, to me - because some notes naturally what to attack softer and decay longer and others want to attack harder and decay more quickly. Just like a good old jazz box - but unlike a jazz box you can crank up the gain and get some edgy tele-esque bridge pickup tones and fat ballsy strat neck-type tones, only way creamier, fatter but somehow more detailed. A Jazzmaster neck pickup sounds like a Strat pickup wishes it did. Add in the fantastically expressive vibrato that can add just the right dimensionality to chords and it's a winner, for me.

Boogie92801 and Brian like this.
  8. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

The two guitars I gig with regularly! My ES-333 and Larrivee LV-03RE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. smcgov

smcgov Member

10. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

How much do you want to spend? I'd be happy with something like a Baja Tele for its versatility and playability, and my Yamaha LL16D A.R.E acoustic for its amazing tone, great pickup and all solid build for not much money.

11. Redrum

Redrum Member

Well, if I had to cull my heard and just keep two it would be my Suhr Classic and Martin 000C-16RGTE Aura. I could easily live with that.

12. DHC

DHC Member

As much as I dig the Stratocaster, going to have to pick the Les Paul ... neck pickup with volume rolled off for clean blues, bridge all the way up for the rock, blend the two for some funk.

Acoustic? Really digging my Golden Era Martin 000.

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I am actually thinking about the same thing; I really only play the Strat most of the time anyway. I have an incredible sounding acoustic in my Orpheum but I think if I was flush with cash from selling my other guitars (PRS, CS Telly and an SFIII), then gas might kick in and I would start all over again... A short scale OOO or a National wood body, or a guild twelve string.. or a .... :rolleyes:

See!:confused:

14. 73171

73171 Member

Les Paul Custom and a James Goodall acoustic

15. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I moved to CA on a greyhound in '82. I could only take one guitar (I only had two). I took the strat and that was the only guitar I had for about 10 years. So, been there. Strat.
    Acoustic, old Martin. I think '69 was the last of he Brazilian rosewood, so there or earlier.

16. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

My Gibson SG ’61 Reissue and Taylor 414ce.

I’d miss the rest, but those are my go-to guitars for most gigs and writing.

17. Serenity

Serenity Member

52 Tele with neck humbucker.
    Takamine EF440SCGN.

I can cope with one acoustic, but i'd rather have a couple of electrics.

18. saf_1

saf_1 Member

This. The obvious answer would be a Strat, or a Tele, or a LP for an electric - however, I recently bought a DGT Standard, and have come to the conclusion, that it COULD be my "desert island" guitar (provided that island had electricity). I own Strats, Tele's, LP's - and other PRS's... and I love every instrument I own. But if I HAD to choose just one electric, right now the DGT would probably do it for me. Of course if this were up to ME, I'd choose TWO electrics and NO acoustics! But that would present a DIFFERENT dilemma...

ProfG likes this.
  19. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'd hang on to the 2 humbucker tele I built and my Guild D125 for an acoustic.

20. muku

muku Supporting Member

Acoustic......Go with the Gibson J45 rosewood. Around 1,400$ used.
    They sound like Martins but have tight string spacing and play really easy.
    You can back off the bass strings for a balanced tone or travis pick the hell out of it for deep real music.