One from our first album! (boutique bass content)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Antero, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Antero

Antero Member

So around Christmas we, the gentlemen of Leopold & Loeb, recorded our first album in a marathon 2-and-a-half-day session. Mixing it in a few days, and then it'll be done - 12 tracks, with overdubs and whatever treatments. We're gonna call it "Life & 99."

On our myspace, nestled among the live recordings and our first demos, is a rough mix of "Stacy By Gaslight," our newest (and quietest) song. I finished it on a Thursday, taught the other guys on Friday, performed it Friday night, recorded it Saturday. Whoa. It still needs a little balancing, a little compression, and a fade out at the end, but it still sounds pretty good.

http://myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Recording information:
    One take live instrumental, one take vocal overdubbed.

Guitar: Carvin DC135 (neck pickup, tone rolled off a bit) into Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe (set to Tremolo) into Peavey Classic 30 (with the treble on only 1 or 2).
    Mics: SM57, some sort of LDC that I didn't recognize

Bass - and here's the good stuff: Grosh P/J bass into Aguilar DC359 tube bass amp, direct signal + 4x10 mic'ed with an AKG D112. Way smoother of a sound than he usually goes for, but it was great for this one.

Vocal: Me, a Royer 122 ribbon mic, a Heil dynamic, and an Avalon preamp/compressor.

Hope you like! More to come soon!

:AOK

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Sweet little song Antero ... & really big tone out of that Classic 30 ...

3. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Me likey, even though I'd keep the intro @ less than 30something seconds.
    How did u manage the phase issue on the bass, between direct (love the Aguilar BTW) and the mic'd sound?

JJ

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I like it. Very nice.

5. Antero

Antero Member

Thanks guys =)
    I honestly have no idea... I think they were pretty much in phase to begin with, because when we threw up the faders it just sounded bigger.