One FUZZ pedal for Alt. Country (Yall'ternative)....What would it be?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TonePowers, Jun 10, 2008.

1. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

I am really interested in getting a good fuzz pedal to go with my rig and I am leaning towards a good germanium fuzz based on the versatility of different fuzz sounds you can achieve. I am not looking for anything crazy, I would just like to add some fuzz grit to overdrive and possibly some good fuzz lead tones. What would you suggest?

2. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

I am getting some good tones from the Tonefactor Huckleberry.

3. erksin

erksin Member

My choices have been a Fulltone '69 or Skreddy Screw Driver.

The '69 is more of a trad Fuzz Face, but I think it handles OD duties pretty well. It has a bigger bottom end and gets a lot looser sounding and more ragged around the edges at higher Fuzz settings. It has MUCH better control over matching it to your pickups than most other fuzzes with it's Bias knob - I wouldn't look at another fuzz if it didn't have this feature, personally.

The SD can be made to sound more controlled by comparison, but it can get pretty close to a Fuzz Face style fuzz tone. It sounds better to me than the '69 when rolling back my volume knob for rhythm stuff - it doesn't thin out like a FF does. It ultimately won the fuzz spot on my board due to it's sound, dynamics, size, and overall versatility. For grainy, Ge-flavored light OD sounds I haven't found anything better. It can also cop very credible treble booster sounds if you are into those.

4. sandman

sandman Member

Me too. But it does require some tweakin on yr guitar.

'69 sounded really good and versatile when I tried one, does great OD like Erksin said.

I wonder how does Retroman NuFuzz compare?

[​IMG]

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've always been curious about that one.

I'd still like to try a BJF Folk Fuzz too, Donner considers them quite good for Lourisy tones.

I have a BJF SWF but if anything it's a little too full and smooth...a bit like a fuzz pre-stacked with an overdrive. It does great controlled feedback though.

6. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

Great! I am loving the sound clips of the Skreddy! Sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks!

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I've tried several fuzzes, the most recent being a lady stardust. I don't think there's one fuzz for everything. It's just not possible. Personally, I want fuzz mainly for grit. I've found I like using a modded Rat for dirty tones. I don't get the wooley stuff, but it gives me the grit I mostly used the fuzz for.

several top notch fuzzes have already been mentioned. I know Nels Cline and Doug Pettibone both use a Fuzz Factory. Jeff Tweedy's got his Big Cheese, and nowdays he's got a Brown Rabbit (rat clone). Nels uses the 69' others have mentioned.

8. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I'd go with some kind of Fuzz Face, either a Ge or Si version. That way you can crank the Fuzz on the pedal and roll down the guitar's volume for more traditional OD type tones.

9. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Get a Monsterpiece 2 Headed fuzz with a NPN BC-108 side and a Classic fuzz (Ge) side, you can cover an immense amount of ground with one of these. You can change the order that they are stacked, use one side for dirty boost and one side for all out fuzz, and stack them for fuzz meltdown-delicious!!

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I've seen a lot of PE EXP fuzz pedals with country artists over the past decade.. Was very suprised..Never owned one myself..

11. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

RX Overdriver
    or a Durham Crazy Horse
    and I bet a Honey Bee

12. meterman

meterman Member

The Retroman Nu Fuzz is the same as the germanium side of the Sybil plus a bias knob. I like the Retroman better than the '69 I had, the Fulltone had a raspy, 'papery' sound to it whereas the Retroman is smoother and fatter. Not a ton of gain compared to some, 'just right' but not over the top...and with the tone circuit can get some unique tones among the other FF clones I've tried (MJM, McFuzz, Fulltone, Dunlop, etc).

Gary Louris from The Jayhawks uses a silicon FF I believe and gets some great tones into a Matchless....

13. jhx

jhx Member

D*A*M Drag'n'Fly The most versilte Fuzz I,ve used. Cleans up nice and has all the Fuzzy goodness you need.

14. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I saw Gary a few months ago, and he was using an old Univox Super Fuzz through an AC30. Sounded incredible! Got to talk with him for a few minutes after the show, he really raved about the Univox.

15. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

textosterone by bill webb in austin.

16. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I was mr germanium until I tried the Addrock Hism Scism. It is an Si fuzzface, but it cleans up great, has the brighter less-woofy Si thing going, but while maintaining the warmth of the Ge. It never turns into the sizzle that a lot of Si's can. This pedal really seems like the best of both worlds IMO. I also have the Addrock Geranium Fuzz, the MJM London Fuzz w/bias, and a very old Diaz Square Face with NTE 103 trannies. All VERY useable fuzzes that bring something good to the table. But the Hism Scism is special. It sounds similar to the Geranium Fuzz when cranked but cleans up brighter (not thinner - just brighter). I can use it with all of my strats pickup positions, not just the bridge like with the darker Ge's. I was permanently burned out from the 80's on the strat in-between pickup positions, but now I am using them again and they sound great.

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Ooh. I loves me Geranium. But I thinks I would really LOVE the hism scism. :drool

18. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I LOVE this pedal. It uses bc107 trannies. It doesn't spit fire like the 108's and 109's, but man does it sound great. It has me loving amps I thought I wanted to sell, using guitars I thought didn't work for me, etc. I feel almost silly because I have used Ge fuzzfaces almost exclusively for years now. From what I had read back then, I thought Si's wouldn't work for my gear, so I never tried one. What a dolt. Anyway, I dearly love my Ge's and that Geranium is still on my board and isn't going anywhere. But the HS just seems to work with everything so far. I can't stop playing it.

It is a tad noisier than the Geranium but not too bad. The only thing I can think of that is keeping this pedal from going through the roof around here is that so many here at TGP are looking for the sound of someone in particular. I dare say most of the fuzzface lovers around here are Hendrix lovers for example. To my ear, through my gear, under my fingers, this doesn't sound very Hendrix-y. So people might be overlooking the Hism. But I am not a Hendrix fan and am not looking for any sound in particular. I was just looking for something new and fun for me and I found it. Hopefully I am not gushing about a pedal that won't sound good with your gear, but I can't say enough good about it. Go get one and see what you think! Hell, if you don't like it I may buy it as a spare!

19. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

20. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member