One gig, two tunings, two guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone, May 28, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Anyone here need two guitars to either play songs that use two tunings (or more) or need a different tone/setup? When you gig, how do you pull off a fast switch? Would a splitter box be the best choice if you need say, Standard tuning, and Eb tuning? I think I would rather use two guitars, rather than learning something that's in one tuning and play it in standard and have it not feel right. Anyone else like this?

What are you experiences with stuff like this?

Thanks!:dude

2. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

I simply have guitar #2 on a stand (I like the rockstand rack kind, because I usually have 3 guitars, & the bass player usually has 2 basses)

If I need to make a switch, I simply put the amp on standby, grab guitar #2, plug in and refire. The need for a "quick switch" is not all that great, and having a guitar on a stand plugged into an AB box while you are playing on stage is just not a good idea. ;)

3. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I just recently started playing with a second band, as a fill in. they play 3-4 weekends a month so they have a routine. They demand that I use 2 guitars for 2 different tunings; E and Eb. My current cover band plays everything in Eb, to avoid the hassle.

I really hate the idea of carrying an extra guitar for something so trivial. I've never been asked by an audience member if the tune was "flat" or "sharp".

The problem is; I have different guitars for different tones, not tunings. One LP, one SG, one Tele, etc...

So trying to cop the "feel" of the proper tuning, will probably get lost in the different "feel" of the the wrong guitars tone, unless you have 2 of everything. Again, the audience would never know anyway.

But I just don't want to carry another guitar I dont need! Wah!

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Why? I have an A/B and have used it for many years.

5. Driver

Driver Member

i have my main guitar tuned to E and another one tuned to Eb that i use on two songs of our set. i like having two guitars on stage in case i break a string on one of them.

as far as changing them quickly, i just click my tuner on (Boss TU-2 pedal). that mutes the signal to the amp while i unplug and change.

6. Den

Den Member

Lately I've been gigging with 3 guitars ... Gibson Johnny A for 335 & LP like tones, Suhr Standard for everything stratty and my acoustic for ... well, acoustic tones. Switching from one to the next takes only a few seconds. I mute my Strobostomp, plug and unplug in no time. Of course, each guitar needs to have its own strap and stand.

I tune all of them to Eb and either capo for some songs if I need open strings in a different key. After playing in Eb for so many years, I find I can adjust to playing with others in a standard key by moving up the neck pretty easily.

7. cswolfe

cswolfe Guest

I'm pathologically and irrationally anti-detuning, but were I to be forced to at gunpoint, that's probably the solution I'd use.

8. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

The only time I tried it I got my foot caught on the cord and my '98 The Paul took an off the stand dive. That was the last day I ever used tubular stands, and the last day I ever had a guitar plugged in on a stand.

9. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the tips so far guys!
    Wow, I have a Boss TU-2, and never even thought of using it to mute the amp. :eek: :D When you mute it with the tuner, then pull out the plug from the guitar, does it hurt the amp, or can it hurt the amp in any way? (without having the amp on standby)

10. EricT

EricT Member

http://line6.com/variax/

Just a thought....with this one, and the new Workbench software you can cop the "feel" of a lot of different guitars, and have many different tunings as well.

11. Goldtop

Goldtop Member

I bring an SG tuned to open E for the slide stuff that feels better in open tuning. For years I have brought 3 instruments with me. My main axe, a backup, and the SG tuned to open E. I write the setlists for the band and I group the open E tunes together so that I'm not switching guitars very much. When I change over to the SG its for a leat 3 to 4 songs. After that many I'm ready to go back.

I do play slide in standard tuning but there are things that are easier for me to play in open tuning. Open E does not limit me to the key of E. I play some of those tunes in G some in E etc...