one guitar and one amp - an entire pop/rock gig

Kevin Florian

Silver Supporting Member
There are a zillion ways to accomplish this, but if I were in this situation:

HSS Stratocaster, basic effects (compressor, overdrive, chorus, delay), into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
This is the correct answer.

But also...lol who tf brings more than one amp to a gig? If I’m not loaded in and set up in under ten minutes, something’s gone wrong.

Silent Sound

Pop rock cover band... 70's, 80's & 90's.... Led Zep & Kiss to B52's and Mellencamp.

What single guitar and amp do u get thru the whole nite with? Marshall, fender, vox amp? Strat, tele, les paul?
Squire Strat and Fender Frontman 212. Playing that setlist will cause your audience to shoot daggers at you until your gear spontaneously combusts and you finally deliver on your promise of entertainment when you run off the stage, patting down the flames that spread onto your sequin pirate shirt. Either that, or the audience just rolls off the volume on their hearing aids after song 1 and asks the nurse for a double dose of their meds so they can enjoy Pink Floyd light show on the inside of their eyelids instead. Either way, there's no point in bringing anything fancy.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Easy peasy. My Luke 3 and a 3-channel Marshall amp. TSL, Splawn, etc.

Airoz

I see a lot of people trying with a Fender amp and pedals, that works, but for me HSS strat and a two channel amp that can do squeaky clean (no matter if its not amazing) and has a good OD that can be pushed with a tube screamer for soloing.

A bluesy harmonically rich clean is not clean enough for 80’s pop and disco, unfortunately, good news is that for those songs emphasis strays away from guitar to other parts of the ensamble (unlike top 40 rock stuff which benefits from a great tone and is mainly guitar driven)

jjaaam

There are a zillion ways to accomplish this, but if I were in this situation:

HSS Stratocaster, basic effects (compressor, overdrive, chorus, delay), into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
I used to use a Wolfgang and an M13 into an HRD.

Passable for sure, but I really didn’t anticipate the tonal range that I found myself having once I got my Strat. It opened up a lot of options, which is great since we do everything from Alabama to Van Halen.

Now I use both guitars into a Pod Go. Super simple and a lot more flexible with effects and amp model choices - I can pretty much get any tone that I want without much compromise.

I'd probably go with an HSS Strat and a Marshall 1974X, Fender Pro Junior or Fender Princeton. The HSS Strat gives you the classic 2 & 4 as well as a passable humbucker sound, not an LP or SG but will get close enough. The 1974X will get you a raunchy Marshall thing going, Pro Junior more tweedy and a Princeton more Blackface.

That's a nice setup as it's light, compact and will sound really good. You just need to add an OD pedal, tuner and maybe a couple other things depending on the songs.

Trending Topics