• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

One Hit Wonders

whatizitman

The 90s were chock full of one hit wonders in rock/alternative
Yup. But the Toadies weren't one of them. They had several radio cuts off of Rubberneck that are still well known favs.

Here's a bunch that were one hit wonders in the 90s.

RDerek59

Howard Jones (is that his name?). Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...

things can only get better.

M

Member 199413

Man, having lived through the disco era I hadn't really realized just how much popular music sucked during the 90s.

Someone I mentioned - Wreckless Eric and "Whole Wide World" which I'd totally missed until it was featured in the equally awesome movie "Stranger than fiction".

M

Member 199413

Here's one that I would have attributed to Ladysmith Black Mambazo, even though their version came three decades later.

And another fantastic song - I had no idea that the Surfaris were a one-hit wonder.

I bought this album on the strength of this song. It is quote possibly the worst album ever produced.

Not sure this qualifies as they've had other songs chart, but unless you've birthed or bedded one of the band members you probably can't recall any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Katrina & The Waves had two other top 40 hits in the US and a big hit in Europe that won the Eurovision contest. It didn't chart in the US.

It's actually kinda hard to find a one hit wonder. A lot of bands that seem like OHWs have other hits.
Dwight Twilley - Girls
Trio - Da Da Da
Chilliwack - My Girl (Gone Gone Gone)
Reflex - The Politics of Dancing
All of those apparently had other hits.

Well, I don't think these guys had a second hit, so enjoy the awesomeness of the late Barry "Frosty" Smith's drums:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure this qualifies as they've had other songs chart, but unless you've birthed or bedded one of the band members you probably can't recall any of them.
Haha! I can remember two other New Bohemians recordings. Of course, one was a cover of a Bob Dylan song.

Tony Done

Here's one that I would have attributed to Ladysmith Black Mambazo, even though their version came three decades later.
I really like that song, and I remember the Karl denver version, which apparently reached #4 in the UK in the same year. I looked it up in Wikipedia, the earliest known recording was by Solomon Linda under the title "Mbube".

Trending Topics