• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

One Hit Wonders

magdream

Was going to post this one. Despite the "dated" references at the end, I think this is one of the greatest pop songs ever written.]

With the exception of one, maybe two songs, the entire album is great; this song being my fave:

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting! I grew up in a large metropolitan area and I never heard any other sing of his on the radio.
My local pop/rock station played "Love Is Like A Rock" quite a bit. The other hits weren't really my favorites, so they've faded from my memory but I remember hearing them.

ChicagoJoe

Back to the high school years and alternative radio for these gems... which aren't very good upon a listen at age 40...

I actually just listened all the way through Mann's Chinese. Cool song. :cool:

NGJohn

Gold Supporting Member
My local pop/rock station played "Love Is Like A Rock" quite a bit. The other hits weren't really my favorites, so they've faded from my memory but I remember hearing them.
Wow. I honestly don't recall hearing either of these. It's like being in a parallel universe. Apparently he's not a one-hit wonder. At least, not in your universe. ;)

Shelldigger

Nazareth: Love Hurts
Head East: Never Been Any Reason (not sure if it qualifies as a hit, it's all they are known for*)
Free: Alright Now
T. Rex: Get it On

* I have much of their discography in my collection, I've always liked their earlier stuff, to a point. I just remembered, Since You've Been Gone did get a lot of airplay where I was living at the time it came out, but I don't think it really managed hit status.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Wow. I honestly don't recall hearing either of these. It's like being in a parallel universe. Apparently he's not a one-hit wonder. At least, not in your universe. ;)
Or the universe in which you can look up an artist's singles with top chart positions.
You can parse out, say, how much of a "hit" the Don Dixon song I posted is. I don't think it even got into the top 40, but it's his "hit".
My view is if someone claims an artist is a OHW, and there's another song by them that charted higher, or several, that's a DQ in my book.
I will say that in the 80s it was still possible to have regional hits, so songs that were selling well in one area were less well known in others. Those sales showed up in chart positions, but if the only rock/pop/country/whatever station in a market didn't play it, it may not be remembered well in that area. A song can also disappear from the collective pop memory if it had a pretty short span on the charts.
I've often told the story of seeing Tesla on an opener slot for Def Leppard. Their "hit" was "Modern Day Cowboy", and in their set they had a kind of build up and lead into the song and you could tell they expected an audience reaction for it. Later in the set, without much ado, launched into the opening chords for "Little Suzi", and the stadium went nuts, everybody was screaming and standing. You could see the shock on the band's faces. The song was, of course, at that point, on its way to being their next, bigger hit, but unbeknownst to them was that the local classic/hard rock station had been playing the snot outta that track for some time.

Trending Topics