• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

One Hit Wonders

MrGuitarhack

I'm diggin' that MD441.

Near the end of this video, is that Waddy Wachtel playing the sunburst LP in the background with the really long frizzy hair?
Just adding a comment re Andrew Gold - not saying Linda was a one hit wonder.

Andrew Gold was a great musician (on the album version of this song he played percussion, drums, electric piano and played the guitar solo). Waddy Wachtel was part of her back up band along with Andrew Gold.

My favorite version of this song (Jeff Baxter on the Congas).

fingertip

Squier to the Grand Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Just adding a comment re Andrew Gold - not saying Linda was a one hit wonder.

Andrew Gold was a great musician (on the album version of this song he played percussion, drums, electric piano and played the guitar solo). Waddy Wachtel was part of her back up band along with Andrew Gold.

My favorite version of this song (Jeff Baxter on the Congas).

Just so we're clear that Linda could sing plumbing codes.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
We got up to No. 46 on the Billboard dance charts. We recorded it Electric Lady, I played a strat plugged into the board. I’m still getting checks in the mail but not enough to live on. This video ain’t for everyone.

I actually remember that. It's been a long time.

ddeand

Gold Supporting Member
A couple doom and gloom songs from way back in the 60s. Never heard from either of these groups again.

tim gueguen

Dan was an interesting guy. Let’s not forget these classics he was involved in.

Some sweet Vinny Vincent in that one.
Actually it's Dan Hartmann on guitar. Vincent and G.E Smith played on the album Instant Replay, but Hartmann played everything except congas and sax on the song "Instant Replay." He also played all the instruments on "Chocolate Box" from that album. And apparently Vinnie Vincent only played rhythm and acoustic guitar on the album, all the leads being from Smith.

It never broke into the top 40, peaking at 43, but The Kings "This Beat Goes On/Switching to Glide" was on the US charts for 22 weeks in 1980.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
We got up to No. 46 on the Billboard dance charts. We recorded it Electric Lady, I played a strat plugged into the board. I’m still getting checks in the mail but not enough to live on. This video ain’t for everyone.

I actually remember that. It's been a long time.
Me, too. That song also got a ton of airplay on Live 105 in the Bay Area.

66fuzz

Silver Supporting Member
Zappa, The Allman Brothers, and The Dead each had only one top 40 hit. Is there another definition?

A one-hit wonder is any entity that achieves mainstream popularity, often for only one piece of work, and becomes known among the general public solely for that momentary success. The term is most commonly used in regard to music performers with only one hit single that overshadows their other work. Sometimes, artists dubbed "one-hit wonders" in a particular country have had great success in other countries. Music artists with subsequent popular albums and hit listings are typically not considered a one-hit wonder. One-hit wonders usually see their popularity decreasing after their hit listing and most often don't return to hit listings with other songs or albums.

;)

Trending Topics