One Marshall circuit to rule them all

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeVB, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Of the JTM45, 1986x, 1987x, 1974x, and 2061x which Marshall circuit (or clone) would best cover a range of Jimi, Allmans, BIB AC/DC, The Knack, to college rock for bar gigging these days?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Wedge

Wedge Supporting Member

Jmd1 would cover all of that and has effects that can be programmed into a four button footswitch. Not a tube amp and probably scorned here on TGP but super versatile and sounds good.

3. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

How much headroom do you need? ?
    Yes, they will all give you the M sound, but will behave different at a certain volume and all feel different.
    For Hendrix AND ACDC i would go the 1986 or 87. Enough punch and headroom for either (though i personally prefer 100W)
    An attenuator or MV will help cause these amps are LOUD! !!! Also, being good at using your guitar volume/controls/pickup selection, will open up the versatility of these simple amps.
    I personally would look at a vintage M over a reissue, and don't overlook a later 70's/early 80s jmp 2203/4......my 79 and 80 jmp 2203s do BIB EXACTLY......at reasonable volumes (much more manageable than a NMV)
    Hope this helps

4. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

If you don't need really great cleans, I'd go with the 86 circuit. Dial it in for edge of break up (Malcolm tones) and use pedals for everything else. With a Strat, you won't even have to turn the knobs to get Jimi tones.

A JTM and pedals will get you there too if you want cleans without using guitar volume. I prefer to roll back the volume on my guitar for cleans though.

5. 71strat

71strat Member

A Metro GMP45 and some good pedals will go a long way.

I would also look into the Metro GMP45/100 for huge clean head room.

Then there is the 10,000 and 12,000 Metro Series.

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

If you want an amp that will cover all the above bases without a pedal, maybe the best would be the Vintage Modern. It's basically a JTM45 with a switchable boost, plus a few other bells and whistles (PPIMV and midrange shift).

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

JVM... and it supports midi. Win-win.

8. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Out of those you listed 1987x is the one to go for to get the tones you're after.

9. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I think all of those are too big for bar gigs. I suggest the Splawn Super Sport- I only recently learned of it but owners seem quite happy. It's 22 watts, two channels, and nails Marshall tones.

10. sleewell

sleewell Member

11. killagorilla

killagorilla Member

Of the amps you actually list the 1987x would be the best choice ... if ... (it's a big if) ... you can live with extremely high volume to get the crunch you want. Your band mates and live sound guy might not appreciate it so much. It sounds authentic as it gets but it is a single-channel, one-sound-at-a-time amp.

If you want the same thing in a lower volume package then go 2061x. It sounds almost as period correct and works with the same quirky but beautiful characteristics as all other Non-Master Volume Marshalls.

Once you open up the choice beyond those you initially listed then you will be deluged with options. Late 70s-late 80s JMP/JCM 800 50w Master Volume single channel (dual input) 2204 models can be picked up reasonably and will run forever if serviced. It doesn't get much more Back in Black than those.

12. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I guess I'm partial to the JTM45 because it's my favorite Marshall great big warm muscular clean tone and has that big tube vintage Marshall sound without being quite as loud as a Plexi. I find that you can easily get ABB and Hendrix tones with it.

Anything heavier like ACDC then yeah I would say a 1987x but that's why they make overdrive pedals. While I'm all for natural amp distortion, a good overdrive into a JTM45 won't compromise much as far as getting that good ol Marshall crunch.

13. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think I'd rather have this instead.

[​IMG]

14. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

This one seems to fit the criteria. I have one on order.
    The low gain tones of this amp are knocking me out!

15. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

YJM100

I partial to it because I own one. It's basically a Plexi circuit with a 100/50 watt switch, built in attenuation, digital reverb and a footswitcheable boost that will take it into JCM800 territory.

Last Marshall you'll ever need to buy.

16. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I own a YJM100 too and sometimes I think about flipping it when I get gas after looking at different amps online. I then play my YJM100 and realize I would be nuts to sell it. It it easily the best amp I have ever owned or played through.

17. David Garner

David Garner Member

I love the 1974x circuit, personally. It's pretty quiet compared to the rest of my amps, but it sounds amazing.

18. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

+1 for the 1974x. I am in the studio right now and have a wall of amps available, including vintage Marshalls and the 74x has been the amp of the last two weeks. We are using it everywhere!

19. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Metroamp 12,000 series amp clone of the 68 Marshall SLP .
    From AC/DC to EVH , that amp can do it all imho .

20. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member