One Mic Series. Recording a band with a single stereo mic.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by louderock, Jan 11, 2019.

1. louderock

louderock Member

Not sure if this has been posted. There are a series of videos where this guy records different music ensembles using a single stereo ribbon microphone. Everyone must be placed at a specific location in the room for the mix to work out. Everyone must play with a certain dynamic as well. Great stuff. Here's a sampler but you should check out the YouTube channel if you dig it.

ethomas1013 and direwolf like this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Very neat.

But, stereo?
    Luxury!

Mellencamp and producer T-Bone Burnett recorded the 13 mono tracks for the album during the summer of 2009 using a 1955 Ampex portable recording machine and only one microphone, requiring all the musicians to gather together around the mic. Mellecamp explained to Billboard magazine that the lo-fi recording process was "just trying to go 180 degrees away from the prefabbed place where pop music is now," capturing the live, present energy of a performance rather than a polished studio production. "All the records that we loved, that we grew up loving, were made that way - James Brown's records, those first five Rolling Stones records, those early Dylan records," he noted. "You felt like you were sitting next to them and they were playing those songs. That's the quality that music has lost, that technology has taken away from us... so we got them back on this record. It sounds authentic."

The album was recorded while Mellencamp was on the road with Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. It features members of his band plus guests such as guitarist Marc Ribot and former Johnny Cash upright bassist Dave Roe. The tracks were laid down at various historic locations, such as the First African Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia, the historic Sun Studios in Memphis and the Sheraton Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, where blues pioneer Robert Johnson made his first recordings in November of 1936.

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Records#Mercury_Living_Presence_series

louderock likes this.
  3. sws1

sws1 Member

Didn't Jack white just do a whole album of one-mic recordings? I think I saw a documentary about it.

4. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

So stereo over a single XLR?

I was wondering where to place my Zoom Q2N (stereo gopro). I guess that would be more about getting all band members in the lens frame.

5. Lef T

Lef T Member

Cowboy Junkies did their Trinity Session album live in the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto circa 1987 using one single Calrec Ambisonic Microphone.
    Recorded on a Sony Betamax SL-2000 video cassette deck connected to a Sony PCM F-1 digital/analog convertor.

louderock and JiveJust like this.
  6. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

That album is amazing!

They also did their debut album Whites off Earth now on the same mic. It’s an omni mic on steroids for lack of a better explanation. I love the first few Cowboy Junkies albums. I saw they at Symphony Hall in SLC on the Black Eyed Man album tour opening for John Prine. What a show!

Lef T likes this.