One more Marshall 5005 Lead 12 question: new speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NoahL, Jun 17, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my earlier ones. So I did buy one of these off eBay, and I've discovered that it's not as impressive as people said, although it's better than a handful of other small SS practice amps I've had, like a Crate GX-25M (which wasn't half bad) and a little Kustom one-tuber with SS guts. This Marshall gets too distorted past about 5 on the gain channel. And it's not as loud as advertised on the clean channel. (One reviewer said it's loud enough for little bar gigs; is this even possible in a 12-watt SS amp?) Plus, it gets real woofy when I do turn it up. Anyhow, assuming the electronics are fine, would it be worth spending some money on a new speaker? I mentioned this to Ted Weber and he recommended his Alnico Blue Pup. But it's $95 -- what I paid for the amp itself. Stock speaker is a Celestion G10-20, 10".

Is this a good speaker? Is it worth trying a swap to get a tighter bass and more headroom while preserving this amp's virtue of offering "that Marshall tone" in a tiny package? Got any recommendations that don't cost $95? Or would the Weber truly be an improvement? Amp's 20 years old: could the current speaker just be worn out?

2. NoahL

NoahL Member

third-day bump. any thoughts?

3. anibas

anibas Member

Hello.I've been using a pair of them for practice amps for a number of years now,and that stock speaker has got to go.They're fine for low volume crunch rhythm tones,but they just don't hold up to a lot of volume,IMO.One of mine has currently got a Celestion Silver Series V10-60 10",and the other has an Eminence Ramrod.I'm starting to really favor the Eminence for what I do,and the UK made Celestion Vintage 10's would also be a good choice.I should mention that both of the Celestions are currently out of production,and I haven't tried the new Vintage 10 speaker that Celestion has out.There was a thread recently about Lead 20's by another TGP member(morglan) that might help you out too.These amps favor humbucker and P90 equipped guitars(basically pickups with decent output) over stock Strat style guitars,and work best for classic hard rock/blues rock type tones,IMO.When you said it's too distorted,did you mean with the preamp or master volume at 5?I'm sure there's plenty of TGP'ers with more good ideas as well,and I'll check back on this thread myself.Best of luck.

4. anibas

anibas Member

bump for NoahL.

5. NoahL

NoahL Member

Thanks, Anibas. I meant whenever the preamp is above 4 or 5, at almost any volume. If I have the volume way up, if I'm jamming with guys, then I can't push the gain over 2 or 3. I guess it doesn't matter what the number is as long as I'm getting the tone I want. And the overdrive tone is nice. I just wanted a little more headroom overall and maybe a nicer clean tone with a tighter bass. I'm going to look into the speakers you mention, and check out that thread on the 20. Great information, Anibas -- thanks.