1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

One more thing i just don't get...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stressfest, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Can someone please enlighten me as to why 'some' people do not allow international purchases in the Emporium, or Ebay for that matter. I personally have never seen a problem with this. If the buyer is willing to pay all fee's inc. insurance i'd be happy to ship to the moon. Maybe it boils down to 'bad' previous experiences but as i said before...if they're willing to pay all fee's, what's the big deal???
    Any thoughts?? :confused:

2. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

It can be a PITA. For me, it's the guy who wants me to lie and indicate it's a gift so he won't get wacked with outrageous tariffs. Extra paperwork and resolving a deal gone bad can be tricky(er) too.

I've sold a couple items across the pond. I'd just as soon avoid it.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

My only thoughts against it, is according to Paypal you can't be proctected as a seller to some countries. You could have everything in order, and the person could state they never got the package and get their money back from Paypal.
    If someone is willing to send me an International Money Order, I'll ship it where ever they'd like me to.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Like those international money orders from Nigeria?

5. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

Speaking from 5 years of experience selling guitars on eBay for work all day...

International shipping is extremely risky to the seller. First, there are so many people out there trying to scam sellers out of the goods. Secondly, shipping a guitar to many countires outside the US offers a seller significantly less protection.

Also, shipping to locations such as South America not only incur huge shipping costs (often $400-$700), but the individual also has to pay up to 30% (or more) in import taxes ontop of that. So, when your customer gets their guitar after paying $600 shipping, and then the customs office calls and tells them in order to claim it, they have to pay another $1000 in import taxes, they usually end up getting upset with the seller (who of course, has no control over that situation).

So, yeah.. its really just a pain in the butt. I've gotten to the point I will hardly ship outside the US, unless its a smaller item (like a pedal).

6. jero

jero Member

I often wondered myself. I've bought and sold many pedals overseas and my last purchase was the first one that really got messed up. Package seemed to be lost, but it was just sent weeks later than I made my payment, and had a wrong address on it. Eventually, after three months it arrived. I don't think this had to do with the fact that this was an international shipment, but had more to do with the seller.

What I did find out is, that when things go wrong, it's pretty inconvenient that there's an ocean between me and the seller. Slow communication, me not being known with US postal procedures, etc.

I didn't know of these paypal rules, but I always assumed that when dealing international all risks are with the buyer. That's why I never understand when people only sell CONUS, but I guess I'm mistaken here?

Anyway, I think a lot of irritation is avoided when a seller just states CONUS only or EU only in his ad if that is what he wishes, otherwise you have the risk of people asking to ship overseas.:BEER

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I have shipped to Canada, Europe, and OZ several times from the states. I will still do it but I tend to shy away from it now. Never had a bad experience per se, but I've had some pedals take MONTHS to arrive when it should have taken 7-10 days. Kinda freaks you out to think you might have to refund someone hundreds of dollars for a pedal that you really sent. Also when using paypal for international sales the buyer can reverse the charges at any time meaning they could pay you for a pedal, you ship the pedal, and then they get their money back from you anyway. The claim automatically goes in their favor. That is plenty of cause for concern unless I know the person.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

It's a pain. I won't do it again.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Stress, I say this every time the subject comes up.. This only seems to be an issue when attempting to buy used gear. I've had stuff shipped to Canada from all over the world, but mainly from the USA, without a single hitch. When I first started hangin here, I sent a few PMs to sellers in the emporia, but gave up when I failed to get a single response.

But that's OK. By buying stuff new, I figure I've saved a ton of money ;) !!

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Respectfully...(and from the point of view of a rabid buyer of pedals, livingin Norway) all the reasons I'm seeing here in answer...seem kind of easy to remedy.

1) if you have no problem with claiming less value on the item, do it, otherwise either on your site or on the phone (or both) clearly state that you will have to declare the real value, and that it is the buyers' responsiblility to know what the import tax is. Seems like that pretty much solves that.

2) Use Paypal. Charge more if you don't like (or already use) paypal. You can't get scammed out of goods right? I mean, the shoe is on the other foot...the buyer sends the money over before you send the pedal.

3) extra paperwork...well, how much we talking about here. I've lived (I am American) in the US and sent things internationally, as far as I'm concerned it is ONE extra declaration sticker, OR filling in one extra form.

To be honest, I think it is nuts (but hey...if you don't want to it's fine) to cut out a whole continent or two worth of customers, for problems that can be worked out.

Distance from say East to West coast is not a lot different than east coast to Norway...and for that matter, unless there is some federal flim flam, isn't it just as easy/likely for ripoffs to occur anywhere?

I may be dense, but I'm not seeing a lot of "good" reasons.

11. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

They don't have to be "good" to you.

12. racktifier

racktifier Member

I've always thought that the buyer is the one undertaking most (if not all) of the risk. After all the seller is generally not obliged to ship out the item before full payment is received. There was an earlier point that paypal payment can be reversed by the buyer. But isn't that problem averted by demanding other modes of payment e.g. money order?

Why do people always assume that Nigeria is such an unsafe place to deal with??? There are many nice folks there and generous too. Why just the other day Mrs Joy Philip offered to share her late husband's $30 million estate with me!!! and the day before I struck a $2million lottery!!! :AOK

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

You have to travel further to kick the scamming SOB's ass.

14. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

I buy all my pedals from ebay US etc as it is simply half the price of Europe etc and I dont get taxed where I live.

I have bought two guitars, zillions of pedals over the years and several rack units without a hitch. Of course it is up to the seller if he wants the hassle etc but if your flogging on ebay and allow your product to worldwide sales then your more likely going to get higher bids (well it does with my auction items).

PS -apart from a small customs form that I fill in from home what is the extra hassle paperwork wise?? Is it diff in the states??

15. basscracker

basscracker Guest

:horse ever been to a USPS :eek::messedup:NUTS:crazy:mad:?that's why.

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I get pissed when some people in the states wont even ship to Canada... I mean we're located right above you...I go to the states like once or twice a month...come on man!...I wonder if I could get an amp shipped to airport in Buffalo and go pick it up from here...I never get hit with customs when bringing stuff over the border...

17. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I've stopped trying to get it. All I can say ist that I have done dozens of overseas transactions without a single problem, both as a seller and as a buyer. If a seller is willing to ship overseas he might get my business, if he's not he doesn't, it's as simple as that and I don't get upset about it anymore. They're are plenty of sellers who do ship internationally.

Cheers,

Johan.

18. Franklin

Franklin Member

What I "don't get" is why, as a seller, the small inexpensive items become an issue with buyers when all my larger sales have gone off without a hitch. I've sold several video games recently where the bid price was only a couple bucks, but I charged $4 for shipping -insurance optional!

I just sold a few more, and two days after getting payment I mailed them. One week after I send them out I get two similar emails, ..

"I won this game two weeks ago and have not heard from you and do not have the game! This is bad customer service, blah, blah, blah...."

I communicated not only through EBay by sending invoices, I personally emailed from my yahoo account to thank them then another to them to say, "Hey, I shipped the game out today.... thanks again"

-- They both seem to have expected me to ship before I recieved payment? The auction ended Sunday, got payment on Monday, shipped Tuesday. They both email me one week from that Tuesday and think it's been two weeks. WTF?

-- They both did not revieve the multiple emails or the video games? I dunno if they ever did, they never emailed me back. Both have not left feedback, yet!

A few months ago another $3 video game arrives to a seller with the box (yes, the friggin' replaceable DVD style box!!) damaged in shipping. The guy did not want to pay $1.30 for insurance, but expected me to refund his money plus his shipping costs. He refused to send it back, but still demanded a refund. I don't get it. I explained that shipping was optional and he chose not to pay for it. He didn't care, said I sent him broken goods.. well at least he didn't leave negative feedback

I done with all that crap! No more small ticket items for me.....

19. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I can't see why it's a problem myself...if the buyer pays for all associated costs like express travel, insurance and tracking. Most small items such as pedals do not incur customs/import duties and if you're upfront with the seller and refuse to do a 'false dec', lay your cards on the table so to speak, there shouldn't be a problem?? Maybe i'm too easy going :D

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Man, the amount I pay in customs each year coul literally buy me a Roccaforte or london 18 head or something in that price range...no joke. Just last week I blew around $500 on customs...But, thats another story/thread...I just really dont see what the big deal is about shipping internationally...I mean some of the businesses should be happy to get our (the customers) business and should be more than willing. Ofcourse thats just what I, a little 16 year old boy think...;):):D Cheers.

Marko M.