1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

ONE OF LIFE'S QUESTIONS??? Unbalanced Cable

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by nhlcreation, Jun 27, 2008.

1. nhlcreation

nhlcreation Member

Why is it that mics and other audio gear can use balanced cable and have almost no noise, but guitars are still using unbalanced??? I realize that the inputs to the amp and pedals are unbalanced, but why is it this way? I don't understand why at some point somebody in the amp industry didn't switch over and start going balanced with everything. Any Insight?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

rigging up a balanced passive electric guitar output would entail transformers and other tone-altering things. no thanks.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It would be the equivalent of installing a direct box inside every guitar. It would also mean changing the input stage of every guitar amp since the impedance would change substantially.

4. mike80

mike80 Member

Some guitars such as acoustic/electrics have balanced outputs. One of my acoustics is this way, but they also have a preamp in them.

I'll stick with what has worked for decades. What noise I do get doesn't bother me, so I can live with it.