• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

One of my favourite solos - Grant Green's, Jean de Fleur

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
Also interesting to see that there's not a massive reliance on the 3rds. Something I've noticed I do too much is consistently hit the 3rd of the chord I'm playing over. Becomes predictable.
I do this a lot, too. It sounds so...right. But, so predictable/cliche.

dewey decibel

OK, that sorta makes sense to me. Seems like once you get beyond the 1, 3, 5, 7 of a given chord, everything else is just "flavor"? Oh- in this example, Bb13 is 1 (Bb), b7 (Ab), maj3 (D) and 13 (G). I get that if the chord was Bbmaj13, that Ab would be A, but is there no terminology that implies that the 7 is flatted? Typically, you'd see that as Bb(dom)7 - how do you know from seeing Bb13 that it's a dom(flat) 7?

(Sorry for the hijack)
Bb13 implies a dom 7th. Bbmaj13 (or more likely Bb6) would imply a maj7th. It's confusing, Bb9 would imply a dom7th as well. I don't know the history, it's just the way it is.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
Bb13 implies a dom 7th. Bbmaj13 (or more likely Bb6) would imply a maj7th. It's confusing, Bb9 would imply a dom7th as well. I don't know the history, it's just the way it is.
OK, thanks. I'll have to remember that. Serves me right for not being able to read music/learning to play by ear. :)

JonR

Speaking of measure 2, the third note in is a Bb mislabeled as 7 instead of R (or it's a misprinted Ab?). :) Haven't really listened to this in a while.
Wow I didn't spot that! Yes, it is a Bb (notated right), so it's mislabelled.

russ6100

Gold Supporting Member
Love it!

Grant Green is my go-to "Jazz Reset" button.

With the bar being raised so high today in all things jazz guitar, listening to Grant Green helps me stay centered and reminds me of characteristics that I don't want to lose in my playing.

Sometimes it's OK to take a break from reinventing the wheel!

Thanks for posting!

Trending Topics