One of the worst tones evar!!!11

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Plague Dog, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Okay, the bass player brought in this singer dude a few weeks ago. He sings fairly well, digs the Radiohead thing. Last night he decided to bring his guitar rig to play some... first he plops down his chick amp (fender deluxe) and plugs in a Line 6 pod, out comes this 335 looking iben-had. If I'd of had a brick I would have clocked the cat. How can anyone listen to that and imagine in their wildest dreams that that sounds good?
    He's not a bad player but is obviously trying to achieve great tone without spending ANY money.
    I have several amps at the studio and politely suggested a few times that he plug into one of my other amps... "Nah, this is cool man."

I'm going to call a band meeting where it will be suggested we either go with just one guitar ot if the guy has to play, play the acoustic.

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

A Fender Deluxe is a chick amp? John Scofield plays a iben-had 335 looking guitar. What sort of amp does a man play?

3. hbentley

hbentley Member

if he's a great singer and player, you might give him a little time. it's got to be hard to go to new band and have your gear threatened. maybe he'll hear your good tone and want to upgrade his. that said, i know people who are in love with their crappy tone and wouldn't change it if they had a billion dollars.

4. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Well, not everyone has a lot of money to spend on gear, but if he doesn't have a concept of what "good tone" is... that can be a problem. Based on that setup, I'd say that if he just got a good stomp box, he should be able to get decent tone. Not sure what Line 6 pedal he had, but I have heard good players get good tone out of it. You just have to have an ear to get the tone out of it. :)

5. hbentley

hbentley Member

and yeah....i've heard worse amps than a fender deluxe for sure!

6. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I played with a guy who had a mesa dual recto and dialed it in to sound like a chainsaw. Once I tweaked it to sound decent, and as soon as I turned my back, he had it set back at chainsaw. So sometimes its not the gear, but how the gear is used.

7. thesteve

thesteve Member

tone is so subjective and contextual it's not even funny. Otherwise Jack White would still be touring the junior circuit.

8. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

335 INTO A DELUXE? oh no!

ok, lets start here...what style of music do you play. what guitarists do you consider influences? what is your main setup/amp/guitar. etc. sounds like he may be a bad fit stylistically.

9. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I agree with that. I have a friend who has a Dual Rec as well (used a Epiphone Les Paul). He had the highs cranked with the bass down very low and no mids. Sounded like crap to my ears. I boosted the mids and bass and brought down the highs and it sounded much better. He didn't like it and changed it back. So his settings sounded good to him...ah well...

10. Hebb

Hebb Member

:NUTS

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Worst spelling...evar.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Doesn't Neil Young use Old Black through a Deluxe?

Frizell comes to mind also.

Ha ha, PlagueDog needs our help with a horrible situation and all we can do is rag on his chick amp comment. Don't dispair, we feel your pain brother.

13. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

One of my very favorite guitars, and the single cheapest guitar I own by a wide margin, is my Ibanez Artcore 335 copy. It's got Seymour Duncans in it, and I had it worked on by Kenny Marshall at AL&M who is kinda amazing. I really don't know what kind of neck pickup it has, but it's nearly as bright as my Telecaster with great low end as well. I decided that since I liked it so much I would finally buy a "real" 335. By the end of a weekend I had easily tried two dozen Gibsons and a few more reputable copies and even a lot of the salespeople agreed that I just had a pretty extraordinary instrument. (Though I have to admit it's not entirely 335-like in its sound, but great all the same.)

Anyways, on a similar note, I make a point of never showing up to try out for a band with more than two grand worth of gear. I have a good enough ear to know bad tone and bad gear when I hear it. My tone is about me, and if people want to give me grief because I use a $300 guitar and an amplifier that fits into the average overhead compartment of an airplane, then to hell with them. If they care that much about what's on the nameplate rather than what they hear we'd probably be a bad match anyways.

(Of course I'm in no position to say the guy's tone did or didn't suck, but plenty of people could sound just extraordinary with the gear you've listed.)

14. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I know that he can not do much with that chick amp, but you should ask him to pull the pod and plug straight in. The Ibanez is fine and the amp is a little cutesy, but fine also. You would be pleasantly suprised what a clean guitar on the bridge pickup can add to a band sound.

Emee

15. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Maybe he's not the one who has an issue with gear. . .

16. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I use a Budda stringmaster, 412 w/greenies, Hamer explorer and a tele. I have a pedalboard with all the usual stuff all analog except a digital reverb.
    I don't know what i have against the deluxe, I know i do a lot of sound gigs and there are few amps I dread as much as seeing a guy carry in his a deluxe. They sound thin and unrefined with little definition and are extremely hard to shelve in the mix.

17. jcollins

jcollins Member

I play with a guy that is mainly a keyboard player. When he switches to guitar he plays a strat clone into a pod and then into a Keyboard amp.

He get's an adequate tone. It works fine for what he does. The dude has
    great ears and is overall a very good musician.

I occasionally play with another guy that has a ton of really nice guitars. Strats, Les Pauls, Parker Fly, etc. He plugs those into some ibanez stompboxes and then into a fender blues deluxe.

With that rig he manages to get some god awful tones. The man truely has ears of stones.

Two of the better players in the area often use hod rod deluxe amps. They both sound great through them.

18. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It's the carpenter not the tools

19. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

My drummer has a fender deluxe in his basement (our practice space) and it is great for me, I like the tone a lot AND it saves me from having to tote an amp whenever we practice.

20. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

I had no idea there were Chick amps. A Deluxe, really? Maybe this one, but that's about it!

[​IMG] Or this? [​IMG]

I mean, it's not like he brought this in:

[​IMG]

Or this!

[​IMG]