One or Two Pieces For Strat Body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Jan 22, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I'm building a Strat with an alder body and was wondering what the general concensus is here. I tend to think a one piece body would resonate more than a two piece, but have never been able to make a comparison. Is there any noticable difference in tone between one and two piece bodies? What do builders like Suhr, Grosh, Tyler and Anderson usually use?

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I don't know the diff and am interested as well in this topic.
    I too would assume one piece but I think they say the glue is stonger than the wood so maybe it doesn't matter...

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I think most builders use a 2 piece unless otherwise requested. I've found that it doesn't make a big difference. If you get a good two piece it's fine. You could also get crap wood in a 1 piece etc etc. It depends on the wood and each pieces character.

I don't generally think about it as long as the guitar sounds good.

4. mpeg2

mpeg2 Member

I've built guitars using 1 piece bodies & others with up to 6 pieces. All of them sound great...

Rich

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The whole 1 piece thing is totally over-rated. The odds of getting great 2 piece bodies is way higher than getting good 1 pce bodies. It's the economy of cutting.

6. 57special

57special Member

I've got two 1956 strat bodies here. One has 3 pieces, one four. The tone on both is exceptional.

7. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

A one piece can be more prone to deformities -- warping, etc. But it could be really good, too.

8. Gigino

Gigino Member

+1....

9. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

One piece always has the "way cool" factor, but can be more prone to warping. Two piece reduces the warpage factor, and if slip matched properly the seam can be almost invisible. I think the two piece would resonate just as well providing the wood is as good of quality.
    You can "tap test" your wood samples and generally find pieces that ring out more compared to others. Use the loudest samples to build from.
    But I will add that a well done one piece does have that "way cool" factor! :^) Although, my Strats are two piece, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

10. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

No matter. 1,2,3, the wood is the meat. I use mostly 2 piece alder just because some think it matters and because one piece is usually way heavy. Alder is a very consistant wood for the most part. Ideally you get the seam off center, out of the pocket and you have the best of everything. Neck lays as flat as it can. One pice looks damn nice with a burst though I have to say. Pull apart an "F" body and you usually find up to 5 pieces......

11. hardys

hardys Member

So, now that we have the question of solid or multiple piece bodies answered. What about weight? How does the body weight of a Start affect tone? I have my eye on an alder Strat body that is 4 pounds, 6 ounces before the through body route for the tail piece has been done. Is this considered a medium or heavy body?