One pedal for all my needs concerning DRIVE/GAIN?

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member
Im needing to find one pedal that will give me a great sounding amp like drive tone, with a second switch to get it into lead range? Not harsh and garbled lead range, but saturated and smooth territory? Ive heard raves about the JHS AT pedal, but I need a dual pedal. I currently use the Visual Sound Open Road as my main basic drive pedal, and I use a Son of Hyde for a lead pedal. Just doesn't get there for me though?

I run my amp clean, and boost with pedals. Im using a heavily modified Peavey Valveking 212. Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers, JJ and Ruby Tubes. The clean tone on this 100 Watt amp is phenomenal.

Any help guys?

If you like what you hear about the Andy Timmons pedal... Check out the sweet tea. It's an angry Charlie (what the AT is based on) and it has an 808 on it as well. The order can be switched too

Gracehoper

Fuzzrocious Rat King*, EQD Palisades** or Zvex Double Rock*** would be my suggestions.

* Do you like Rats? If so this is for you.
** Super versatile. Tube Screamer and a lot more.
*** Very versatile. Go for this if you prefer the "Marshall in a box" style with more options.

Gibs210

There trying to have them out by mid April, so if you can wait I'd highly suggest the any of the new source audio one series drive pedals. I am one of the beta testers, and can say that these pedals are great and super versatile, first digital dirt pedal I've played that sounds just as good as analog! They are the size of a boss pedal, but have 2 independent stereo channels that can be programmed to 2 completely different drives and used in mono in this way as well (the signal routing detects what your trying to do, and can be programmed for either parallel or stacked drive modes). If you buy their tap switch, you can control the second channel with that switch, or program it to control the first channel, or a/b between them.

There's 44 different dirt voicings on the pedal (and growing) accessible from the forthcoming app. tube screamers, muffs, benders, fuzz faces, rats, octave fuzz, ocd, even some Marshall and mesa based drives, which the mesa one might be replacing my dual recto! I stack this channel with a ts type drive and it sounds real close to the way I use my mesa. There's even some good original voices in there, smoked glass and 38 special are 2 of the favorite originals among the beta testers. Can't recommend it any more.

And it doesn't matter which pedal you get (LA lady, kingmaker, aftershock) all the voicings are available on each pedal, its more of a preference in color when selecting a pedal.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/kingmaker_fuzz.php

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/la_lady_overdrive.php

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/aftershock_bass_distortion

If you have any questions about them, feel free to ask me, or the source audio guys directly, they're very active on the forum: @rsmith601 , @thesleeve , @theluckyjackson

Here's the current thread on them too:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/source-audio-one-series-dirt-pedals.1660771/

Last edited:

liordino

Maybe a Sinvertek No.5 Distortion. Not really a dual pedal, as it have only one footswitch, but it have a lot of modes accessible through it's only switch and seems to be really versatile.

Multicellular

There trying to have them out by mid April, so if you can wait I'd highly suggest the any of the new source audio one series drive pedals. I am one of the beta testers, and can say that these pedals are great and super versatile, first digital dirt pedal I've played that sounds just as good as analog! They are the size of a boss pedal, but have 2 independent stereo channels that can be programmed to 2 completely different drives and used in mono in this way as well (the signal routing detects what your trying to do, and can be programmed for either parallel or stacked drive modes). If you buy their tap switch, you can control the second channel with that switch, or program it to control the first channel, or a/b between them.

There's 44 different dirt voicings on the pedal (and growing) accessible from the forthcoming app. tube screamers, muffs, benders, fuzz faces, rats, octave fuzz, ocd, even some Marshall and mesa based drives, which the mesa one might be replacing my dual recto! I stack this channel with a ts type drive and it sounds real close to the way I use my mesa. There's even some good original voices in there, smoked glass and 38 special are 2 of the favorite originals among the beta testers. Can't recommend it any more.

And it doesn't matter which pedal you get (LA lady, kingmaker, aftershock) all the voicings are available on each pedal, its more of a preference in color when selecting a pedal.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/kingmaker_fuzz.php

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/la_lady_overdrive.php

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one_series/aftershock_bass_distortion

If you have any questions about them, feel free to ask me, or the source audio guys directly, they're very active on the forum: @rsmith601 , @thesleeve , @theluckyjackson

Here's the current thread on them too:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/source-audio-one-series-dirt-pedals.1660771/
I was gonna say Source Audio. Even their last generation Micromodeler was sweet.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Amptweaker tight drive pro or the big rock pro. Have everything you need. Tight drive pro on the higher gain side crosses over where the big rock pro is on it's lower settings. Both pedals have a crap ton of features (including build in noise gates)

d-rock

Visual Sound/Truetone VS XO

More tweakable than your current VS pedals. There are a lot of tones to be had out of that thing.

WhoJamFan

Second on the Amptweaker TightDrive Pro-everything you're looking for and not just another modified tube screamer with a built in boost. Insane controllability and 3 switching loops that can make a single channel amp into a 3 channel amp-with the option of adding additional effects in the loops that allow you to instantly switch multiple pedal chains with one stomp.
Definitely worth checking out.

Carl Martin Plexitone would suit you well I think. Awesome and versatile 2-channel pedal with a built in 20db clean boost to boot...

Cheers
TRJB

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
Xotic BB+
Jetter Jetdrive
Lovepedal Amp11

All these pedals have two footswitches so you can go on the fly from light OD to heavy solo.
The first two pedals have two differently voiced OD's in one box, the Amp11 is an OD and a boost.

There's others like the Wampler SLO for heavier distortion (OD and boost in one) but how well it works depends on the amp, guitar and style of music you're playing. The first three are a safe bet, there's good sounds to be had with almost every rig.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Bogner Red and Blue pedals are the best around for this. ZVex Doublerock

NHBluesMan

combines the 2 circuits you already have, but greatly improves on them IMO. Left side is a tweaked Open Road, right side is a tweaked Son of Hyde. More tone control, more options, stacking the 2 sides together sounds phenomenal.

Blues Lyne

Two channels with independent gain, tone and volume controls, each with a 3 position voicing switch. Channel 2 is a little more aggressive and has more gain available, but either can be dialed in anywhere from just breaking up to singing lead tones. It cleans up great with picking or volume knob changes, while staying punchy and clear. It can be dialed in aggressive and cutting or fat and smooth. It spoiled me for most other dirt pedals.

Last edited:

Trending Topics