One pedal for OD and boost for jams?

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Haven't bought many pedals lately, but thinking about going to blues/blues rock jam nights and need something. Don't want to overdo it and show up with a whole pedalboard for 2-3 songs. I just need something I can quickly plug in to help control my OD, and boost for leads if needed. Would like to keep it around $100-$125. Used is absolutely fine. Thanks.

Last edited:

MSLBend

You might find a used Gristle King at the upper end of your price range. Separate boost and great overdrive in one. Very flexible pedal. The best clean boost I've ever had. Goes from slight blues to pretty mean.

deeohgee

You might find a used Gristle King at the upper end of your price range. Separate boost and great overdrive in one. Very flexible pedal. The best clean boost I've ever had. Goes from slight blues to pretty mean.
Beat me too it. I just got one this week - great pedal!

MSLBend

Beat me too it. I just got one this week - great pedal!
Funny you don't see much talk on these boards about that pedal but it's one of my absolute favorites. A stellar clean boost and the overdrive can do the tubescreamer "thing" but a whole lot more. With that pedal and a decent clean amp, you can cover a lot of styles. I rarely turn the boost off.

JinX78

I just scored a previously owned barber burn unit eq for $99

Not a od with boost, it's two separate channels that share a tone and dynamics control..you can control volume and gain separately. On his site its described as medium gain California. This pedal is awesome, a lot of different flavors in one pedal with internal trim pots to dial it in for your amp of choice. Not for those who want Ice picky highs, as with all barbers. Check it out! Highly recommended!

sleejay80

I bought a JHS Double Barrel for this exact purpose and couldn't be happier.

Bluesbreaker side for boost/base OD, and TS side for leads.
If your amp is scooped, could go vice versa.

Gain/volume/tone for each channel, even a order toggle.

Simple, yet controllable, and just perfect.

thecomposinator

Silver Supporting Member
For the price range a FD2 is great. I had one that was pre-MOSFET but had the three-way toggle. It sounded great!