1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

One piece body / guitar - does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by stan p, May 21, 2011.

1. stan p

stan p Member

I saw here references to some guitars with one piece boies and some were one piece entire guitar body and neck, like Marchione. Does it really make a difference? Is this a desireble difference?

Experts, please advise!

2. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

I am a Marchione dealer and I have compared 5 different one piece neck-through mahogany guitars Stephen made to many other incredible instruments that Stephen made as well as other guitars in my personal collection made by other luthiers and my opinion is yes, huge difference and desirable difference.

Unbelieveable instrument.

You can call or PM me with any questions.

Joshua

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  3. XKnight

XKnight Member

Everything pretty much makes a difference. Whether it's a difference that you can see, feel or hear and whether it is something that is better for you is the bigger question.

4. shane8

shane8 Member

a muti piece bod/neck has less chance of warping and as we know 'tone' is in the ear of the beholder

skypeace likes this.
  5. stan p

stan p Member

it sounds like we hear what we see:)

skypeace likes this.
  6. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

keep in mind that many of the greats, if you asked them if their favorite guitar was 1 piece, they would have no idea, maybe it was, most probably weren't

1 piece bodies are an upcharge, and anything that ^ the price for the builder/dealer also ^ their profit...just speaking in honest business terms here...not saying anybody is playing false cards...

but navigating the waters here you need to be careful, theres definitely an attitude among builders of "collusion" in the sense that they all know that they ALL benefit if they ALL pretend that all the minutia matter greatly in a guitar, when the truth is that most guitarists couldnt tell the difference between even a rosewood and maple neck if they were both finished...

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The best value upcharge by a long shot IMO is SS frets. For an additional $25 that most manufacturers charge for them you now have a neck that will likely never need fret work. One piece bodies though visually nicer if your not using a solid finish will likely not be any kind of tonal advantage over a two piece. Also remember what sounds better to one guy could sound worse to another. I'm sure there are some guys out there that like Randy Rhoads tone better then EVH...:messedup I think we can all agree that more sustain is desirable to every player and I doubt you could measure and prove that a one piece body generates more sustain then a two or more piece.

skypeace likes this.
  8. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

I think its important that when posting in this thread that people state whether they have ever played a guitar that was made out of one solid piece of would, or not. If so, please state the luthier and the wood type. My suspicion is that most have not.

If you have never played a solid one piece guitar, then your opinion is simply that, an opinion, and basically conjecture, not based on actual experience. Not saying you are not entitled to post it, but quite different than actual first hand experience.

9. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Well, the OP's post is a bit unclear, but I believe he is referring to one-piece guitars as well as guitars with one-piece bodies, which I'm sure everyone has played. Also, what is a one-piece neck-through guitar?!? If the neck and body are all one piece, then it is not a neck-through guitar, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Anyway, I play LP-inspired guitars, so I'm obviously fine with the body being made of multiple pieces of wood :D I do prefer 1-piece backs, but that's a purely visual preference.
    -
    Austin

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Here's the clip of my friend Johnny Tsak
    noodling around when he brought over his one piece guitar
    in Brazilian Mahogany.

The guitar weighs 10 pounds.

It's actually a 2 piece if you count the finger board.

I don't have a clue how the truss rods were set up,
    but so far the neck has not pulled or twisted.
    The truss rods are top loaded under the fingerboard.

Yeah his presentation is a bit over the top, but he's
    excited to hear the guitar for the first time through
    his favorite amp, my Hot Cat 100R.

He's been building a few custom neck through's lately.
    The amount of wood needed to pull off a one piece guitar
    doesn't yield really any more resonance than a neck through, that
    requires considerably less fine wood to build.

11. eddie101

eddie101 Silver Supporting Member

Infamous '59 Les Paul is NOT a one piece body/guitar. My - since sold - '53 tele was NOT one piece, and that was probably one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. 54 and 57 strats that I played were not one piece guitars and they sounded killer. A killer '58 Exp Copy w/period correct parts/wood/PAFs that I played was 2-3 piece guitar. Well, you get the picture as to what I am trying to convey here. Unless you have a set of ears that are the size of the moon, and can hear what dogs can hear, then perhaps you can distinguish the two but I doubt it. Also two piece body will give it more stability and less susceptible to the changes in weather. FWIW, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Peace, Ed

skypeace likes this.
  12. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Frankly, unless we are talking basses, it really doesn't matter.

13. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

The above video shows the only other 1 piece guitar I have seen other than a Marchione neck-through.

The Marchione weighs right under 7 Lb's, and yes its completely stable, never has any of the one piece neck-through guitars had a probably with stability and despite all the conjecture being posted as if it were based on first hand experience :rolleyes:, extremely resonant and depth of tone. Stephen has a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials anyway, so its a non-issue.

This:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I bet it's totally dependent on the builder. The same wood in the hands of a dozen different builders will produce a dozen different outcomes.

I've owned both (1-piece bodies / necks and multi-piece). IMO, there were no perceptible differences in tone for the better or the worse. Skilled hands can achieve the desired outcome from either set of materials.

15. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

So, have you played one of those that was constructed the same, except it was made out of t pieces of wood, split lengthwise? If not, I'm not sure how anything you have to say is relevant to the OP?
    -
    Austin

16. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

2 pages of arguments, fighting and dealer-pissing deleted.

Everyone can stop fighting. Dealers, please re-read the sticky about how a business has to act on TGP, specifically:

• You can answer direct questions, and correct bad information, but if a thread becomes a question / answer 'thread' and becomes more of an introduction to your product, please don't be surprised if your thread is moved to the MFR section.
    • Example: if someone asks 'what's a strat copy' and you happen to make one, it's not acceptable to drop mention of yours in there to check out, or post pictures of your guitars in the thread. This is also spam. I know, it's VERY hard not to. But if you have a good product, you can be sure someone will bring it up.
    • NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR COMPETITOR! Not only is this in extremely poor taste, but it's not allowed. Run on your own good product/service not by detracting from your fellow builders.

skypeace likes this.
  17. eddie101

Can we all have decent discussions w/o being offensive to others? Why is it so hard for some people to make "non-condesending arguments"? :huh

18. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

its just not right for people with a direct interest in the subject to treat minutia like a 1 piece like: absolute GOLD "i will not play anything else anymore", while pissing on multi-piece instruments, when any unbiased person will tell you that they are equally great instruments, one has slightly more sustain, but has a chance to warp, is more costly, and with certain woods, has a large impact on the environment.

it is not right to delete the unbiased and realistic posts, negatively fueled as they may be, and leave posts like the above: "Hey. Short answer yes, 1 pieces makes a HUGE desirable difference, better than many/most incredible guitars, unbelievable guitar, plz pm me for a quote :)"

this is just a flat out exaggeration that borders on a lie, and given the circumstances (the poster was looking to profit), it's hard to call it an exaggeration, that is just a flat out lie, maybe for certain applications and for certain tones/playing the 1 piece would be desirable but the OP did not specify any of this.

the correct response to the OP is this: a bolt on can rock just as hard as a set neck, i've played a SG with a bolt on neck, and it screamed, and i've played a set neck telecaster and it rocked too, sustain on both was insane more than you'd need unless playing drone/ambient/etc in which case the correct solution for players over the years is just to crank your amp up and let feedback and volume sustain for you.

the 1 piece is just the next step up from a set neck, a bit more sustain and through body resonance, nothing that will really knock your boots off like some people are saying. an f-hole will get you there too, but it might leave your mids sounding hollow, so if you are looking for sustain and resonance similar to a hollowbody, 1 pieces, are the closest thing you'll find without getting that "airy" "hollow" tone that hollow bodies tend to have

19. eddie101

I played some old 335s that didn't lack mids and they sounded just as good if not better than vintage Les Pauls. IMHO, every guitar is an individual and each offers "different" sonic flavors. YMMV.

skypeace likes this.
  20. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

i have no doubt a vintage 335 could give a vintage LP a run for it's money in the tone department, but as anybody (unbiased) could tell you, a 335 will lack the mids of a LP, and a thinline tele will lack the mids of a 335, just as much as it will lack the mids or a strat

of course you're right this is all "generalization", in the guitar universe there is no hard and fast rules, but lets not get off topic