One-piece body on new Nocaster??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CNP, Mar 22, 2006.

1. CNP

CNP Member

I just scored a new 6.6 pound Fender Relic Nocaster from Willcutt's, and I swear I can't find a seam anywhere on the body. The grain also suggests a one-piece body. Anyone heard of Fender using a one-piece body for a regular production Time Machine Nocaster??

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

This used to come up rather frequently on Fender-oriented boards. One of the execs from the Custom Shop, who contributed to one of those boards, maintained, steadfastly, that the Fender Custom Shop does not, and never did, use one-piece bodies for the Nocaster. I had a NOS Nocaster, and I could never find the join, either. However, the real place to tell where the join is, if there is one, is on the side of the body, down near where the strap button is. On mine, the finish was so thick, at that point, that I couldn't see any grain there, at all.

3. CNP

CNP Member

Thanks, Jim. Guess I'll have to strip off the finish to confirm. ;)

4. billygoat

billygoat Member

My finish is real thin on my 52RI, and there is definitely a chevron shape at the strap button. That said, the grain match on this guitar is superb....Much better than my strat with the 2/3 join of apparently two entirely different pieces of wood.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

I couldn't find a seam on my old TM Nocaster either.

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i have a 50's reissue that I can not find the join, though i swear there is more than one. The guitar sounds great but the finish is so thick I don't think i will ever find the joint.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Maybe you're not just looking hard enough? :)

8. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

My 52' reissue looks like one piece from the top but if you look at the side it is 3 pieces. It still sounds killer.

9. CNP

CNP Member

Well, 2-piece, one-piece, it really doesn't matter. I love the guitar. I just thought it was unusual. And I still can't find the seam!

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yeah, it doesnt really matter how many pieces the body is as long as it sounds and feels good.

I recently bought a MIM 50's Esquire and the body is 3-4 piece, might be even more and it is not well matched.. Actually it still takes some scrutiny cause my bandmate didnt seem to find a seam at first. But what the heck, it's a great guitar and super cheap.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My CS 52 Relic tele is the best guitar I've ever played. Its my soulmate. What Fender is doing these days is nothing short of remarkable and worth every godamned penny! :RoCkIn :dude