one piece maple neck vs maple fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Keifer, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Keifer

Keifer Silver Supporting Member

Was wondering if there is a big difference? Buying a one piece maple neck tele. I've heard the maple fingerboard glued on the maple neck is sturdier with more overtones. On the other hand I know folks who swear by one piece maple

2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Laminated fingerboard will make a neck stiffer. No idea how that contributes to sound, but you can feel it when you pull on it.

3. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

I think the traditional one piece is more elegant and it would be my first choice. The maple board does make a sturdier neck, less prone to twist etc, and would guess a darker tone. I have both but the latter is on a Soloway and not a true strat, with different pickups... I think one piece maple necks are traditionally used with ash and have a scooped tone, sweet highs, not a lot of mids. The maple board might have a mid boost, like rosewood, but it depends on the thickness of board etc etc. The maker could likely give you a good idea of the tone~

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Just a guess, a one piece may have a warmer tone. But it may also be more likely to twist or warp. But all of this of course depends on the wood.

5. M40A1

M40A1 Member

Not trying to steer the Op from the original question relating to maple necks, but here's some cool manufacturing info on PRS' process (rosewood): http://prsguitars.com/detail/neck.html