One piece rosewood neck on a Strat?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PlexiBreath, Aug 1, 2005.

1. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

How does a solid one piece rosewood neck sound on a swamp ash body Strat?

I'm wondering about the tone of this wood combination, I'd be using stainless steel frets. I know it's not traditional but I wonder if a one piece rosewood neck would place the guitar tonaly outside a typical Strat tone. The next questioin of course is, of all the different varieties of rosewood, what tonal differences would there be for this application? Is rosewood heavier than maple?

I like the way necks without a finish play, but maple gets fuggly, rosewood doesn't need a finish, plus I think this would look real cool with certain dark red finishes.

Kelley

2. fred dons

fred dons Member

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I've only heard one Strat style guitar with a solid rosewood neck, I didn't like what I heard....it seemed to be emphesizing the wrong Strat frequencies. However, the P90 equipped PRS guitars I've tried with solid rosewood necks were tonally all over the place....which leads me to believe that, for necks, rosewood is tonally much less consistent than maple or mahogany.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Rosewood is heavier than pig iron! Rosewood's so heavy it bends light and makes your watch run backwards! :eek:

In other words, yeah, it's a bit heavier than maple...

:)

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Then maybe I should go with rosewood as I can certainly use time reversal.:D

Butt seriously, anyone else have experience with 1 piece rosewood necks?

Kelley

6. TomK

TomK Member

I've played a few Melancons with rosewood necks and I liked them - but these were maple topped / mahogany chambered bodies. I liked the feel more than anything.

7. JZWest

JZWest Member

Hey Plexi...the dude with the Schroeder (beautiful guitar by the way) has one. Check it out.

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Yeah! That's an exquisite guitar! And the rosewood neck looks fantastic. But it's a completely different kind of guitar. I would only want this for a Strat if it didn't make it sound like something other than a Strat. I like the playability of unfinished necks which make rosewood an ideal choice, plus I think it would look cool, but not at the cost of loosing that strat twang. I still don't know, I would need to try a Strat with a rosewood neck to really know and I doubt I'll have an oppertunity to do that. I wish.
    Kelley

9. baald

baald Member

well....
    I haven't done it yet, but the next time i change strings i could probably be persuaded to put my rosewood neck on my strat, provided the holes line up. Only thing is, its 24.75 scale conversion neck. If you just want to hear the combination of swamp ash and rosewood, that's what's currently assembled (a swamp ash VIP (PRS shaped) body with the RW neck). However its routed for hums Does have a trem though, but still not a strat.

you might think about pau ferro for a neck. from some reports, the tone is more similar to maple, and supposedly just as lovely to play on unfinished as rosewood.

baald

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'll seriously consider that, thanks. As a fingerboard wood I've always thought pau ferro just wasn't dark enough, but as a one piece neck I think it would probably look real nice. Food for thought.
    Kelley

11. Crazy Dave

Crazy Dave Member

Hi, new here. I have, but not on strats. One of my Zacharys has a rosewood neck. Awesome tone, and it feels really nice (smells great too). Not sure it would work with a Swamp Ash body tonewise though. Also, Rosewood is heavy, and I believe Swamp Ash is light?

12. matte

matte Senior Member

I've had 3 Strats with solid Rosewood necks. I dug them all for different reasons. 2 of them were John English Masterbuilts with no trussrods and Alder bodies. There were repros of the Desert Sand "57 that Norm has.

13. Curt

Curt Member

Originally posted by decay-o-caster

Rosewood's so heavy it bends light and makes your watch run backwards! :eek:

Damn.. I 'm glad you pointed that out. I was about to call Movado.

14. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Matte,
    So how would you describe the tonal difference between those and a typical maple neck with rosewood fingerboard Strat?
    Kelley

15. matte

matte Senior Member

Depends entirely on the type and density of the Rosewood. My fave RW necks didn't have trussrods(3 Kleins with solid Guatemalan RW necks, 2 JE FCS Strats). In general more lower mids and less strident top end. I would recommend Pernambuco. It's used for Bass Marimba keys and violin bows. Resonant and lively stuff.