One point lesson - Vibrato Technique

funkycam

Tomo can you comment on Philip Sayce's vibrato? I shake notes just as you do in the video but cannot get to where his is.
eg:

Tomo

Tomo can you comment on Philip Sayce's vibrato? I shake notes just as you do in the video but cannot get to where his is.
eg:
Sure, as long as you are happy with whatever the way you do. That's fine.

My advice is to take this technique from my point of view and I am not try to force people to do this.

All I wanted to do is to make sure that all my students know a few choices.

So they can take something with them.

That's all!

Thank you so much!

Tomo

Tomo

eg:
So would you like to do same as his vibrato?

Watch his guitar neck. The neck is not moving much right?

Most people use too much left hand support on guitar neck, this makes less control your vibrato.

Use your strap so that guitar will stay with your body... then your left hand is 100% FREE!

Thanks!

Tomo

major-minor

I tend to bend the string up , instead of pulling it down for vibrato. Have just never been able to get comfortable pulling down. Cannot seem to get any control when pulling down.

Tomo, any advice for me------or am I better off just doing what works?

Tomo

I tend to bend the string up , instead of pulling it down for vibrato. Have just never been able to get comfortable pulling down. Cannot seem to get any control when pulling down.

Tomo, any advice for me------or am I better off just doing what works?
Good question. Certainly you can try things.

Good way, not stay comfort zone. Try to see other choices.

Then you can decide what works for you.

Bottomline is always try to make more efforts than anybody!!! So you will have something special later, because you have worked something amazing efforts.

Try a bit. but even string bend up... a lot to work on right?

Tomo

Tomo

What a glorious tone, Tomo! Damn! Is that the Pro Reverb? And thanks for the great lesson!
Thanks so much! I get so much about gear questions so I post this on description. Yes it is.

Thanks,

Gears: 1963 Fender Duo Sonic, 1965 Fender Pro Reverb amp, Eminence speakers:Texas Heat. D'Addario strings EXL110, Pickboy picks , vintage classic 1mm. Ace straps, Cape Cod Potato Chips.
coyote music&sea.

Tomo

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks so much! I get so much about gear questions so I post this on description. Yes it is.

Thanks,

Gears: 1963 Fender Duo Sonic, 1965 Fender Pro Reverb amp, Eminence speakers:Texas Heat. D'Addario strings EXL110, Pickboy picks , vintage classic 1mm. Ace straps, Cape Cod Potato Chips.
coyote music&sea.

Tomo
Are those vintage Cape Cod Potato Chips? ;)

Adding my two cents (hope you don't mind Tomo):

On certain subtle things like ballads one use the classical gtr approach by moving my fingertip from side to side (IE - from the nut to the bridge and back rather than from ceiling to floor). This is for notes that aren't bent.

One can also change the speed and depth of the vibrato. One method is to start fast and wide then slow down or do the opposite, start slow and speed up as the note fades.

The fast-slow can sound rockin, the slow-fast has a natural decaying sound to it.

Making vibrato follow the beat sounds good IMO.

Tomo

Are those vintage Cape Cod Potato Chips? ;)

Adding my two cents (hope you don't mind Tomo):

On certain subtle things like ballads one use the classical gtr approach by moving my fingertip from side to side (IE - from the nut to the bridge and back rather than from ceiling to floor). This is for notes that aren't bent.

One can also change the speed and depth of the vibrato. One method is to start fast and wide then slow down or do the opposite, start slow and speed up as the note fades.

The fast-slow can sound rockin, the slow-fast has a natural decaying sound to it.

Making vibrato follow the beat sounds good IMO.
Thanks so much!!! I love Cape Cod Potato Chips!

Tomo

Trending Topics