One power supply to rule them all and in the darkness light them

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ambientfixation, Jun 2, 2015.

1. ambientfixation

ambientfixation Member

I have always used a 1 spot to power my board, but a recently bought a Bigsky and the 1 spot is no longer viable. I was just going to buy a PP2, but now there are so many power supply options I am not sure if that is the right choice. My chain is:

VP Jr.
    Tuner
    T1m pearl
    Kilobyte
    Echo park
    Dispatch master
    Bigsky
    Rv5

Guide me wise gearpagers

2. thkh

thkh Member

4x4 or DC10

3. seibertdr

seibertdr Member

Go with the PP2+. It has two courtesy outlets to power AC equipment. I use it to power my Line 6 M9 too.

4. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Own a Voodoo 4x4 myself. Honestly, can't go wrong with Voodoo. There's a reason everybody has them and it's not just because they're the best power supply you can buy at a big box retailer like guitar center and the most compatible with the pedaltrain. Though I'm sure any other option you go will be just fine also. If I could do it again, I'd buy a PP2+ because the courtesy jack lets you plug another power supply in there too which is very cool. I wouldn't have sold my EHX Blackfinger with its dumb proprietary power supply if I'd had the PP2+ and just plugged it into the courtesy jack.

There are also Eventide, Pedaltrain, and MXR power supplies also. I'm sure any of them will do you fine.

5. fldrvr

fldrvr Member

I'm struggling with powering stuff as well. was wondering if I could catch some advice on it here. I'm running:

Zoom G3
    Crybaby
    Dano French Toast
    Blackstar DistX (requires dedicated PSU)
    Digitech Jamman Solo (requires dedicated PSU i think?)
    Red Panda Particle
    with possibly more incoming (Zoom MS 70CDR and/or MASF Possessed)

Any suggestions? I'm currently running the G3, Blackstar, Jamman, and Particle on their own wall warts (it's a rat's nest connected to a long extension), and the Dano and Crybaby on batteries.
    Suggestions welcomed! Sorry to piggyback on your thread.

6. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

7. leeandwhatnot

leeandwhatnot Member

Those look fantastic!

8. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I'm just here because I dig the thread title..

C.L.Bailey and Holzar88 like this.
  9. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

One Spot with daisys off each connector, and if you were even smarter you'd daisy off each of those, it's exponential.

10. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

here's the CS12 in action. Comfortably powering everything on this board

[​IMG]

11. jordane93

jordane93 Member

12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

13. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I really like my Mondo. Pretty future proof and I never run out of plugs. Courtesy outlet too.

14. shinksma

shinksma Member

Color me slightly confused: why is the OneSpot no longer viable? It looks like you aren't maxxing out the current draw. Is it because you want an isolated 9VDC supply for the BigSky to minimize/eliminate clock noise? If so, then any multi-tap isolated power supply that can pump out the total 9VDC current draw you require will suffice - I think any of the ones above would be sufficient.

OTOH, I have read that the Echo Park can be quite noisy if powered off the same supply as other pedals - are you already finding that to be true? If so, an isolated power supply like the Voodoo Lab 4x4 or the new OneSpot Pro power supplies might be appropriate, regardless of the BigSky.

15. ambientfixation

ambientfixation Member

Thanks for the replies, guys! There was a very loud hum when I have my Bigsky in the chain so I deduced it was that. I just rewired the board as well, so all new patch cables. I have heard that 1 spots do not really like the Bigsky when it is chained, but perhaps I am incorrect.

16. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

There is only one for me... gigrig.

17. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

Yup. Gigrig would be the last one you buy. Infinitely customisable, small and light.

18. Webizul

Webizul Member

I had a power train 1250 and it worked fine until I bought a couple of pedals that needed 300ma of 12V. I switched to a 4x4 and have had no issues what so ever. If I had just bought the 4x4 to start, I could have save some cash in the long run. If I have decide to get rid of the 12V pedals, it will still work just fine for all my 9V pedals.

19. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for the Mondo here. The thing about the Mondo, and how I look at it, I will not allow myself to use more than what the Mondo will power, which is a LOT. I guess that's self restraint?

20. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

I'd love a mondo, but they are expensive. 4x4 has a lot of options for the money.