One preamp pedal (with XLR DI) for Acoustic and Bass

chrisross

I'm putting together a PT Nano to cover both acoustic and bass duties. I had the idea to run:

tuner > AB Box > (A - Acoustic preamp pedal) (B - Bass preamp pedal)

So if I'm on acoustic, plug the XLR into the acoustic preamp and put the AB Box on A (for acoustic)...leaving the bass preamp unused. And then the opposite for bass.

--

BUT...if there was one preamp pedal that worked great for both acoustic and bass, that would simplify things alot.

Is the Tech21 Para DI V2 the way to go? Others?

My bass is a passive P Bass and my acoustic has a K&K Pure Mini system, which is also passive

chrisross

you got the answer. The Tech 21 is it. You may want to blend in the cabinet emulation when on bass. Passive p/u's

What cab emulation? I'm referring to this one:

12061115492158.jpg

I know the VT Bass DI has a speaker sim, but I didn't think the Para Driver did. However, if the VT Bass DI sounded good on acoustic, that would be a great choice..

chrisross

Ok I just did some reading on the VT Bass DI, when the blend knob is at 0%, none of the pedal's "character" is put in the signal, but the active 3 band EQ still works.

SO, if I'm understanding it right, what I could do is use the VT Bass DI, and when using bass blend the signal 100% (or to taste) and use all the features of the pedal. When using acoustic, I could set the blend to 0% and have only a 3-band EQ active DI.

Right?

Or maybe I'm just way overthinking this and the Para is the right pedal for this.

Last edited:

chrisross

Ok let me clarify my question regarding the Tech21 stuff.

1. For any Sansamp DI (BDDI, Para DI, VT Bass DI), when the unit is on and the blend knob is at 0%, the unit is now acting as a preamp with 3-band EQ, but no Sansamp circuitry. Correct?

2. If that is true, I would be better off getting the VT Bass DI over the Para DI because:
- for acoustic (blend knob at 0%), both units are acting the same as a 3-band EQ preamp.
- for bass (blend knob turned up to taste), the VT Bass has more bass specific features than the Para DI.
Correct?

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
The pure mini system needs to have a low impedance preamp in order to sound best. If you can find the predecessor to the Para Driver DI, it was called the Tech 21 Acoustic DI. It has an instrument input that will work well for bass and an XLR input that has 1M resistance, which is ideal for your K&K.

tech21nyc

Ok let me clarify my question regarding the Tech21 stuff.

1. For any Sansamp DI (BDDI, Para DI, VT Bass DI), when the unit is on and the blend knob is at 0%, the unit is now acting as a preamp with 3-band EQ, but no Sansamp circuitry. Correct?

2. If that is true, I would be better off getting the VT Bass DI over the Para DI because:
- for acoustic (blend knob at 0%), both units are acting the same as a 3-band EQ preamp.
- for bass (blend knob turned up to taste), the VT Bass has more bass specific features than the Para DI.
Correct?

The Blend control when set to minimum bypasses the amp and speaker emulation. The EQ's remain active. The Para Driver DI would be the better choice for acoustic as it has a semi-parametric sweepable midrange control. All the units will work with bass but the VT Bass is designed to emulate different Ampeg style sounds, from Flip Top to SVT.

The pure mini system needs to have a low impedance preamp in order to sound best. If you can find the predecessor to the Para Driver DI, it was called the Tech 21 Acoustic DI. It has an instrument input that will work well for bass and an XLR input that has 1M resistance, which is ideal for your K&K.

The K&K is recommended to be used with a high impedance 1MegOhm input. The Bass Driver DI has a 1MegOhm input impedance and the VT Bass DI and Para Driver DI have 4.7MegOhm input impedance.

I have the K&K system in one of my guitars and it works fine with the 4.7MegOhm input. When you go to some other preamps that have 10MegOhm inputs it starts to get a little too bassy. This is easy remedied with a HP filter or control. You can also just use something like a Boss TU-2 tuner with the K&K or any pedal that has a 1MegOhm input impedance to make it more compatible.

Oddly with that pickup you should use a low impedance output to go direct to the board but I've run it direct and it as is and it still sounds pretty good.

VTReconcileD

Silver Supporting Member
I actually use a JHS Pulp n' Peel (v4 with XLR out) from time to time. It's a compressor with an EQ...so not really a preamp. But it sounds great with both acoustic and bass (at least according to the sounds guys....kinda hard to tell on stage).

chrisross

I actually use a JHS Pulp n' Peel (v4 with XLR out) from time to time. It's a compressor with an EQ...so not really a preamp. But it sounds great with both acoustic and bass (at least according to the sounds guys....kinda hard to tell on stage).

HMMMMMmmmmmmmmm... They call it a compressor/preamp on the website.

chrisross

The Blend control when set to minimum bypasses the amp and speaker emulation. The EQ's remain active. The Para Driver DI would be the better choice for acoustic as it has a semi-parametric sweepable midrange control. All the units will work with bass but the VT Bass is designed to emulate different Ampeg style sounds, from Flip Top to SVT.

The K&K is recommended to be used with a high impedance 1MegOhm input. The Bass Driver DI has a 1MegOhm input impedance and the VT Bass DI and Para Driver DI have 4.7MegOhm input impedance.

I have the K&K system in one of my guitars and it works fine with the 4.7MegOhm input. When you go to some other preamps that have 10MegOhm inputs it starts to get a little too bassy. This is easy remedied with a HP filter or control. You can also just use something like a Boss TU-2 tuner with the K&K or any pedal that has a 1MegOhm input impedance to make it more compatible.

Oddly with that pickup you should use a low impedance output to go direct to the board but I've run it direct and it as is and it still sounds pretty good.

You mentioned using a TU2 into a para driver to sort out the impedance deal. Would it work to run into a true bypass tuner (turbo tuner), then into a Boss RV3 (for acoustic), then into the Para. Use the RV3 for ambience and to make everything match up impedance-wise or is there something about the TU2 specifically.

Because if turbo > RV3 > para DI works than that's a winner.

tech21nyc

You really don't need to correct the impedance so much with the Para Driver DI. The main issues I've had with the K&K impedance mismatch has been with the LR Baggs and Fishman products as they use a 10Meg input with is pretty high. What happens with the K&K is you get more bass content with higher impedance and if you do percussive type techniques and hit the top of the guitar or bridge with your palm that can cause overloading and distortion.

The Boss pedal is most likely a 1 Meg input and should work fine. One thing to be aware of. True bypass pedals tend to pop somewhat through a typical guitar amp and this can be even more pronounced when running direct.

chrisross

You really don't need to correct the impedance so much with the Para Driver DI. The main issues I've had with the K&K impedance mismatch has been with the LR Baggs and Fishman products as they use a 10Meg input with is pretty high. What happens with the K&K is you get more bass content with higher impedance and if you do percussive type techniques and hit the top of the guitar or bridge with your palm that can cause overloading and distortion.

The Boss pedal is most likely a 1 Meg input and should work fine. One thing to be aware of. True bypass pedals tend to pop somewhat through a typical guitar amp and this can be even more pronounced when running direct.

Learning a lot in this thread. Right now it's looking like I'll run turbo > RV3 > Para DI V2. I've been running a Dispatch Master for ambience and I've noticed the pop for sure. So if I switch to the RV3, it'll solve two problems. The Turbo is actually the ST-300 with the soft-touch switch (relay?) so I shouldnt get any popping there either.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom