One side of stereo amp gone loco

rodeodee

A while back the connections came off one of the speakers on my Gibson Goldtone GA30RVS 2 x 15watt stereo EL84 amp. I didn't realise during a gig, so it was running without any load on one side. (probably for a few hours!)

I reconnected the speaker after the gig, transformer still worked but didn't sound quite as good as the other side anymore.

Fast forward quite a few gigs and rehearsals. Now that side of the amp is crackling much, tubes are running very hot. I've tried swapping tubes and also running that 15w side to an external cab but it's had no effect on the snapping and crackling. The other side is working fine. Is it worth a shot just trying to swap that side's OT for a replacement OT before paying money and dropping it off to a tech? This is something I have experience with in the past so am comfortable doing it.

rodeodee

Thanks. There's a few options then. I'm wondering has anyone put in Mercury Magnetics in their Goldtone and not found them twice as good? Or should I go mojotone or hammond or something else cheaper?

Trending Topics