One Soldier's Death.

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by trisonic, May 24, 2008.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

I thought long and hard about posting this.
    My Great Uncle, George Hadler, was "killed instantly" during WW1 on September 6th 1916 during the Battle of the Somme. He was just a Private in the 1st Royal West Kent Regiment.
    At the start of the Battle of the Somme 19,240 British men were killed on one day.

He was important however to his family - but 92 years have passed.

I arranged this music in his memory, yep, it is sentimental but it has his name on it. If one person reads this, I'll be satisfied.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6572374

Thanks, Pete.

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I read it,Pete.My late condolences.

3. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

That was very nice Pete. Thanks for sharing the story about your uncle and your music.

4. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Deep. Emotional. And very inspirational.

Excellent. This is really excellent.
    AB

5. mike walker

mike walker Member

Thanks Pete. And thanks George.

6. Fred Russ

Fred Russ Member

Hey Pete - nice work. Since the focus here seems to be more guitars, basses and such, I was a bit surprised of hearing this kind of piece at The Gear Page. Regarding the uses of midi mockups using symphonic samples in productions, check out VI Control Composer forum as the focus there is specific to the film instrumental genre.

7. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Very nice Pete! You may also want to post this at northernsounds.com. I'm sure you will get lots of great feedback. Oh, and do us all a favor and don't ever hesitate to post your music.

8. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Moving, for me. My Grandfather, who passed away when i was two, survived the trenches, though he did suffer for the rest of his life from the after effects of a gas attack.
    Two books about that war that I've found helpful to understand what he went through are;

- And Goodbye to All That
    - Seven Pillars Of Wisdom (he flew in the desert later in that war).

9. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Pete, very moving. A wonderful tribute, thank you for sharing that.

10. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Damned fine, Pete. Would think Uncle George would be proud to have his memory tied to this piece. You should assemble this with any photos of him and WW1 for your family to see also. Well done. Best four minutes of my weekend.

11. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about the fallen, so I really appreciate your beautiful and uplifting offering.

12. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

13. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

Well done Pete. /o

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Pete - sentimental, yes, but honest sentimentality. Very beautiful - thanks for posting.

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'm really very touched, guys..............knowledge of George has increased from about 4 at the beginning of the day.

George's remains are in Delville Wood Cemetary, Longueval. Ref. no. III. N. 10.

And Fred - I just joined your Forum, the other would not accept my name!

Thanks, again, Pete.

16. JPF

JPF Member

Beautiful, Pete. I bet he's feeling the good vibes you sent his way.

17. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

If you ever get the chance, go visit his grave. My mother's younger brother was killed a few days after the Normandy invasion. Back in 1999, I asked her about his grave and she pulled out a war dept letter from the 40's describing his resting place in St James cemetery in France near Normandy. No family members had ever been there. I took a vacation and visited the grave, took many pictures, planted a flag there and made scrapbooks for my mom and my uncle. It was an amazing trip. I arrived at the cemetery in the morning and I was the only one there besides the proprietor. It was a beautiful morning and a beautifully maintained cemetery. Going down the graves and coming upon his was something I'll never forget. Then going to the Normandy Beach and once again being alone on the water front was really amazing. There was a big boulder there that I remember from history pictures of guys taking cover behind. Up on Pointe Du Hoc where the Rangers scaled the cliff, the bomb craters still exist, although they are now covered in grass of course. Unforgettable!

Steve

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Not yet but I will.
    I have visited Vimy Ridge where they have kept some of the trenches intact from WW1. Not kidding; there is about 25 yards between the Canadian trenches and the German ones.
    This on the road out from Calais, very easy to visit, huge Canadian Monument on a hill you can't miss it.
    Thanks again, Pete.

19. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I was a WWI freak when I was a kid, especially aviation, but recently reading Brit historical stuff about the ground war, what it meant to be there, the amazing brutality and dehumanization of living through years of this, the magnitude of the loss of life - especially on the Somme for the British - it's almost impossible to wrap your head around it. And it's not surprising that it really is the defining moment in modern history for a lot of historians. Truly a generation of men lost in the most senseless way.

Peace to George. And for all of us.

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

David,
    They used to say: Lions led by Donkeys - of course the percentage of young officers killed was the highest - it was the Jackasses at the rear......See Blackadder??

Thanks again everyone who took the time out to listen.....

Best, Pete.